project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to OkitaMakoto
Default Becoming/Life as a Marine Officer

So, I have in recent months begun to seriously consider the Marines as my next step upon graduating from College in 2010.

The past few months I have gone through a good deal of new experiences that I feel have changed me a great deal. These changes have come from studying in Tokyo for one year, meditating for a month in a Buddhist temple, and several other experiences that have led me to completely alter the way I live day to day.

I now go to the gym three times a week with running in between. I eat healthier, or at least, as healthy as I can.

My brother has recently finished basic training for the US Army, gone on to Ranger school and Jump school, and I'm incredibly proud of him. Since we were both young, we've dreamt on and off about serving in the military, and while in late Middle school and early High School I served in the Civil Air Patrol.

My mom recently set me a photograph of the front of our house with a single star displayed in the window of our front door to symbolize my brothers service. When I saw it, I was overcome with a million thoughts at once. It became clear to me that I wanted there to be TWO stars in that window. All my on-and-off thinking finally came to a conclusion that I WOULD be a Marine.

Now, I still haven't had the opportunity to talk to a recruiter since I am in Japan, so I can't get too specific, but what I am most curious about is post-college options in the Marines. I am more looking for the "life experience" of having served as a Marine than "job experience" so I am looking to serve in the infantry[MOS 0300 level]

I am potentially interested in going the Officer route but am slightly unsure of the routes/outcomes. Initially aiming for OCS is perhaps the obvious choice, and possibly the only choice aside from simply going enlisted and rising from there. I have heard that those that initially sign as an officer does not get their choice of MOS, is this true? I understand that you are guaranteed little, but serving Infantry (0300) is my biggest wish upon joining. If I would run a large risk of being put somewhere in an office cubicle as an officer in Japan or something... I think that I would rather simply not worry about my college degree aside from the enlisted advanced rank placement to Private First Class.

So basically, if anyone is currently serving or has served previously, lend me a hand and tell me what you know. Specifically about best possible potions for someone with a 4-year degree, wants to serve at the front, got good grades, smoked pot maybe 4 times[need a waiver for that, yeah or no?] but is generally just a 100% awesome person.......... HA

I am seriously considering infantry, and will go either enlisted or officer path, but since I have yet to talk to a recruiter[on my list of things to do soon after arriving back in the States] I am lacking in some of this info. And the internet is FULL of conflicting reports.

Cheers,
Okita
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #2
SXTS

Default re: Becoming/Life as a Marine Officer

Quote:
meditating for a month in a Buddhist temple
Really something I want to do. If you want to get officer position, don't get visible tattoos when wearing clothing, my brother had a neck tattoo and he was automatically rejected because he had a visible tattoo on his neck that could be used to identify him by enemies.

He had prepared to join and it completely shattered him when he got rejected, he now works in a supermarket, and can't find a good job at all. I do feel sorry for him, but I guess life goes on.

SXTS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

good luck with w/e you decide Okita, have a long hard think about it and make sure you look though every detail in the careers etc and if you have Army/Marine etc careers offices over in the US go in and have a chat to the guys there about it

Best of luck

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
SXTS

Surely they have open days at careers conferences, you could go their and talk first hand to new recruits and veterans. Based on what they say, given or take a lie, you should decide. I mean like America's Army is made on US taxpayer's $'s and they make war seem as fun as possible to almost 'trick' people into joining.

Of course I guess you'll be able to decide what is bs and not but sometimes they'll say anything to get some new boots on the field.

SXTS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #5
=Romagnolo=

Send a message via MSN to =Romagnolo=

You would be a quite of a unique soldier! Good luck with your decisions.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto:"Cheers, you're the man, Okita"
[R-DEV]Rhino:"I in fact got kicked from a server for tking."
Hitperson:"well done, treasure it forever."
[R-DEV]Adriaan:"Damned classy Roma, if I may say so."
[R-DEV]Chuc:"Pro man, pro."
(yes, it was about me)
[R-MOD]BloodBane611:"Romagnolo, you definitely deserve a LOL award for that."
=Romagnolo= is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Chuc
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to Chuc Send a message via Skype™ to Chuc

I hear foreign languages can make you quite valuable..

Personal Folio - http://www.studioash.net
Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
RedAlertSF

Good luck with your decision, whatever it's going to be. I'd love to be a Marine, but as a foreigner it might be too difficult.
RedAlertSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
TY2D2

Send a message via AIM to TY2D2 Send a message via MSN to TY2D2 Send a message via Yahoo to TY2D2

Okita you can't join the Marines, they don't accept hippies anymore.

And you would be bald, and that would mean we couldn't be freinds anymore.

First Strike Developer
ASF Clan Leader
TY2D2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
Thermis
Retired PR Developer

Okita,

My first piece of advice would be to join the Army not the Marines. No offense to any Marines out there I'm just biased towards my own branch.

Second, I have a good friend who enlisted and went through OCS. He wanted to be an Engineer Officer and he was able to do that through OCS. Marines may be different but I'm just trying to give you something rough to go on here.

Third, talk to your recruiter when you get back to the States, ask all the questions you can and get as much info as possible then before you sign anything. Come back here and run it by those of us that are/have been in the Military. I'm sure I speak for all of us in saying we'll be happy to help you make you're decision. I think you know this but your recruiter may be less that 100% truthful with you.

Best of luck with your decision if you need any help feel free to PM me.
Thermis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
hiberNative

i just find it interesting how big of a thing the military is for young people in the united states. not only from a patriotic perspective, but also from an economic and educational.

i'm gonna keep reading this thread.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
becoming or life, marine, marines, officer