project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
23 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Farks

Thumbs down Laser weapons are back?

I have noticed almost every time I've been playing PR lately that myself and others get shot and killed by one single bullet. This wasn't the case a few months back. For example, me and another player were supressing an enemy at least 100 meters away, and he just pops up and shoots both of us with our bullets landing all around him. And that's just one example. Have players gotten used to the weapon handling and learned to "exploit" it?
Farks is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Laser weapons are back?

More people are realising the guns are actually accurate if u stand still for a few seconds.

And thats good imo.

There is an exploit that changing stances does not bring deviation

that is hardcoded, until 1.50 which does at least have a prone <-> standing deviation penality afaik

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Solid Knight

The weapons are not anything close to being "laser" accurate. There are many times where the rounds just never seem to make it anywhere near where you're aiming even though you have waited.

When you shoot at people and they drop behind cover you should reposition.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
TheLean
Supporting Member

Very accurate shots can be achieved by aiming at an opponent, go prone and take cover as he shoots at you and then go to crouching or standing stance and shoot at him. The shot is equally accurate as if you had aimed the whole time. As Dr2b Rudd said this is an exploit which might be fixed in the next bf2 patch, especially if the new changing stance deviation is a variable that can be changed by DEVs. The new changing stance penalty for BF2 is only 0.3 seconds and is therefore not suited to PRs slow pace. However, if it resets the move deviation, as ASDW movement does, it will work wonders. But the exact mechanics of the changing stance penalty is currently unknown as far as I know.
TheLean is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude
Forum Moderator

I cant help but feel small arms are a bit too accurate in PR, and this is one of the most obvious side effects. Effortless headshots, ignoring suppression, no sense of futility in the tactical disadvantage.

I think a good remedy would come from Mildly decreasing accuracy of small arms in PR, yet a reasonable decrease in the general level of deviation.

Perhaps 'on the range', soldiers would find that they can achieve very tight groupings, yet in the combat environment, aspects such as the fear of dying cause effects such as high adrenaline-blood ratio that would cause ones aim to be impaired and inferior to what the rifles are fully capable of.

However, individuals in PR have very little fear of getting shot, as there is a good chance they will hit their target despite their situation, due to high levels of accuracy. This means they are not worried about being at a disadvantage, such as having inferior fire power.
I would speculate that the majority of assault-rifle kills IRL are not simply individuals being truly uber shots, but from the large number of barrels aiming at a single target increases the chance of the group hitting their target.
So, in theory, decreasing overall accuracy would give the incentive for players to operate and engage targets in groups, AKA Teamwork.

...mongol...

Military lawyers engaged in fierce legal action.
[R-MOD]Mongolian_dude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
LithiumFox

Send a message via AIM to LithiumFox Send a message via MSN to LithiumFox Send a message via Yahoo to LithiumFox Send a message via Skype™ to LithiumFox

amen mongol..

[url="http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f112-pr-bf2-tales-front/91678-universal-teamwork-oriented-player-tag.html"]
LithiumFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #7
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Mongolian_dude View Post
I cant help but feel small arms are a bit too accurate in PR, and this is one of the most obvious side effects. Effortless headshots, ignoring suppression, no sense of futility in the tactical disadvantage.

I think a good remedy would come from Mildly decreasing accuracy of small arms in PR, yet a reasonable decrease in the general level of deviation.

Perhaps 'on the range', soldiers would find that they can achieve very tight groupings, yet in the combat environment, aspects such as the fear of dying cause effects such as high adrenaline-blood ratio that would cause ones aim to be impaired and inferior to what the rifles are fully capable of.

However, individuals in PR have very little fear of getting shot, as there is a good chance they will hit their target despite their situation, due to high levels of accuracy. This means they are not worried about being at a disadvantage, such as having inferior fire power.
I would speculate that the majority of assault-rifle kills IRL are not simply individuals being truly uber shots, but from the large number of barrels aiming at a single target increases the chance of the group hitting their target.
So, in theory, decreasing overall accuracy would give the incentive for players to operate and engage targets in groups, AKA Teamwork.

...mongol...
Que?

Yeah, that was the 0.8 train of thought, and that was friggin horrible. Shooting is fine as it is. It is a video game, I will never be scared for my life, no matter how much suppression, how bad you make my deviation, I will never be scared, if anything, decreasing the accuracy will make me less scared, and I can get more up close an personal to the enemy.

On Ross Kemp Returns to Afghan, there was a soldier from the Scottish blokes, he said, he saw two guys, brought up his rifle, fired two shots, gave the good news to one of them, the other got away.

Seriously, people take it too far on how difficult it is to shoot under fire. Yes, I admit, it is hard, however soldiers are trained to do that everyday, under fire and tired and probably hungry If deviation is decreased more, it will make things worse.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Weapons shouldn't be made less accurate than they are now imo, suppressive fire isn't just about causing the suppression effect, its also about "if he gets up, his head is gonna get holed" rather than "I'm shooting near him so he better stay down"

I wouldn't say no to having the settle time INCREASED

But at the same time, teh Minimum Deviation should remain THE SAME

and the max deviation should be DECREASED

That would feel more realistic imo.

The question is, are you going to force players to worth together because their gunz suck or are you going to force them to work together BECAUSE guns are dangerous?

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Alex6714

Quote:

However, individuals in PR have very little fear of getting shot,

...mongol...
I agree, however making weapons complete fail won´t do it. How about satart by making it so that when you do get shot, you actually get shot and its a bad thing rather than "oh no worries, medic will revive and we are off again".

In game I can´t feel my weapon, so thats number one why deviation like this fails. Number two, I will decide my stress thanks seeing whats happening in game. Right now nothing is deadly enough so there is none.

In CA with much more accuracy but ballistics infantry was much more fun and it was harder at range to hit someone, very hard in fact without thinking about and lining up your shot. Close range it was how it should be, easy enough to hit your target but not spammy.

The more accurate you are, the more you need your squadmates because the chance of you getting shot putting your head up to fire yourself is much higher. Also, if reviving is removed once you get shot once, you are going to put that head down and get attention, rather than shoot back until your dead.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
Gaven
Send a message via AIM to Gaven Send a message via MSN to Gaven Send a message via Skype™ to Gaven

Quote:

...mongol...
What?

Yes, groupings greatly reduce in a combat situation but never to the point where they can't hit a target. A trained soldier should be able to hit a target standing out in the open without taking 4 seconds to aim at him. Guns in real life are not like paintball guns.

I also generally don't bother trying to find cover because it's usually non-existent, or my screen is so dark I can't see anything.
Gaven is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
back, laser, weapons