project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Bamtoman

Send a message via AIM to Bamtoman Send a message via Skype™ to Bamtoman
Default Landing with a heli

When I started to fly the heli, I have been noticing (not in public servers, I don't waste tickets) that I ALWAYS crash when I try to land it does the barrel roll or it explodes
Can someone give me step by step on how to land ?

The only time I don't crash when I land when I try to land in the carrier (which takes me at least 1 minute)

Thanks
Bamtoman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
LudacrisKill

Default Re: Landing with a heli

Practise

For starters...

1.Flat ground
2.No acceleration (0% on rotor power)
3.keep rotors parallel to the ground
4.try to make fluid movements

5. Practise
LudacrisKill is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
waldo_ii

What helicopter are you starting with? The best helicopters are the MEC/PLA Skycows. They handle much smoother and fly with much greater ease than with any other helicopter. Plus, it is always a sight to behold when you see one of those sexy hunks flying around. Mmmmmmmm....

Er, I mean, uh, don't press S. Very rarely should you ever need to use that key. Once you see your LZ, drop altitude and take your finger off the accelerator. With the Skycows, you will retain momentum very nicely. Once you near your LZ, start to flare up to deccelerate. You will gain altitude, but that will eventually subside. Work yourself into a hover by making many micro-adjustments, and then, if neccessary, tap S. Never hold it down.

Blackhawks are terrible to fly. The very moment you take your finger off W, you will drop like a goddamn rock. Wait until you are proficient with other helicopters before you take on the Blackhawk.

|TGXV| Waldo_II

waldo_ii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Bamtoman

Send a message via AIM to Bamtoman Send a message via Skype™ to Bamtoman

Thanks Waldo and Kill for the help
Now I just got to train
Bamtoman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Careful with teh LB and BH, the LB bounces easily, and the BH tips forward very easy

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Supporting Member

The Skycows are extremely easy to fly and hover with and are the safest, but they are also slow and easy to shoot down. These are easy to land too.

Blackhawks are difficult to fly. They always tilt in some weird direction. The only good thing about this helicopter is it's great ability to provide air support with it's miniguns.

The British Lynx is great and flies really fast, though it is a bit big which makes it easy to hit with a .50.

The Huey has a bugged warm up time and when landing on non-flat surfaces, they have a tendency of flipping over and killing everyone in a big radius. It is a pretty fast helicopter though. These can land really fast.

The littlebird is a mess and I don't recommend flying it at all. The physics let you do crazy tricks which is completely unrealistic. When landing with it, you have to do it really slow or else, it tilts and you might have to jump out. It's somewhat slow too, not as slow as the skycows but slow. The only things these are good for is landing on extremely small surfaces such as the top of a hotel roof or on top of the fortress in Muttrah.

All helicopter collisions are messed up though. Barely touching razor wire or any kind of static when you land, and your chopper is dead. This is being fixed in .86 I believe though.
Last edited by 503; 06-05-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
Antonious_Bloc

Really guys? I land my choppers with the "s" key every single time. In fact, I've never landed them without using it. I get to about the area I want to land, take my finger off of the W key, adjust my chopper so that I'm parallel and not moving forward, then hit S and as I get closer keep on tapping it. I don't flip (I also only land on level or really close to level ground) and I don't crash the chopper.

How do you drop altitude and land otherwise? just lean it forward real far, stop accelerating and then straighten it out at the last minute?

Antonious_Bloc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #8
Singularity

hold S key, and do not let it go, it will be nice and easy way to do so.

Singularity is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:09 AM   #9
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonious_Bloc View Post
Really guys? I land my choppers with the "s" key every single time. In fact, I've never landed them without using it. I get to about the area I want to land, take my finger off of the W key, adjust my chopper so that I'm parallel and not moving forward, then hit S and as I get closer keep on tapping it. I don't flip (I also only land on level or really close to level ground) and I don't crash the chopper.

How do you drop altitude and land otherwise? just lean it forward real far, stop accelerating and then straighten it out at the last minute?
if you tap s it's fine, when you hold it is when you flip, the reason is S represents slowing the rotors to the point of having no liuft, so if you just tap it it slows but not enough to lose lift, if you hold it it immediately goes to zero lift and you die.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #10
Acemantura
PR Server License Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Acemantura

When I was Running Bubba's Trainer, I Trained newbs like yourself.

I find that the best way to learn how to fly (and Teach) is to go up, straight up, from where you warmed up, and ascend 400 meters from the ground/sea. With your throttle always engaged (I use keyboard only) hold doawn two buttons and watch how the aircraft reacts and how it handles. Use combinations of rudder, pitch, and roll, always with your throttle engaged. Then do the same with negative throttle always engaged. And finally with no throttle engaged.

I always started newbs off with the little bird (Any variant of the H-6 will do). This is the most agile and responsive of all helicopter aircraft. From there choose any other aircraft you like, and you will be good to go in no time, especially when landing.

Good luck

P.S.

If you easily contract motion sickness, do this in 2-3 minute spurts, and keep a paper bag next to you.

Acemantura is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
heli, landing