project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
manligheten
Default Of Bad 3D perspective and smoke

I've played PR (the best game ever and so on ) for a time now and I have come up with a few minor concerns that annoy me.

Firstly, the iron sight perspective is wierd. A standing man at 300 m is way to small in comparation with the ironsight. I think thats due to that the screen is smaller than the real world, but it could be fixed with a, lets say, 1.8 zoom when looking through the ironsight. (Maybe with a like, 1 secund wait time making you able to fire quickshoots/huntershoots if you want)
Than again, you wouldn't see much of the world when looking through the ironsight, but as you close one of your eyes, that's fine.

The scope is unnaturally better than ironsight at ranges 200 - 300 m.

Red point sights are quite good, since they are harder to aim with at longer ranges, I think, and because you ofent aimes with both eyes open you see more of the world.

Secondly, the smoke is somewhat way too slow. I don't kwon exactly which smoke grenades the USArmy eg. uses, of course, but my experience with smoke grenades is that they give smoke instantly, which quickly fades away (the opposite of PR's). Thus you can't use them in a second-to-the-trigger situation, making them useless for the way they should be used.
Now every single smoke hand grenade give as much smoke as 12 cm mortar fire.

Thoughts?
manligheten is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Psyko
Default Re: Of Bad 3D perspective and smoke

I agree with your points on smoke being slow. for me, its not tht important, but whenever i have seen them go off, its much quicker. but its to give the squad time to prepare to manouver through it i think.

the iron sites points...im not sure if your being accurate. for instance i think the deviation is smaller/faster on iron sites than scope, but i could be wrong. i think chuc or falkun could explain better.

and you made a point about the target being too small, not sure if that correct either.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
manligheten

In my world you can't get time to maneuver through smoke, since you don't have any. If you fire a rpg smoke grenade you will get plenty of smoke that lasts a while but having hand grenades making more smoke than a howitzer i silly.

You get plenty of smoke instantly from a hand grenade, but i disappears like in 2-10 seconds depending of wind.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manligheten View Post
In my world you can't get time to maneuver through smoke, since you don't have any. If you fire a rpg smoke grenade you will get plenty of smoke that lasts a while but having hand grenades making more smoke than a howitzer i silly.

You get plenty of smoke instantly from a hand grenade, but i disappears like in 2-10 seconds depending of wind.
I think the non-smoke grenade effects are that way to maintain framerates.

I don't see the same problems you seem to get concerning ironsights. I don't think zoom is the best thing for them, since...they don't have zoom.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
hiberNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
I don't see the same problems you seem to get concerning ironsights. I don't think zoom is the best thing for them, since...they don't have zoom.
i really don't like this logic since there are a lot of weapons (like humvee .50s) that have zoom without optics.
if not make a slight zoom for definition, to compensate for the games low resolution compared to real life, do it for gameplay.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
i really don't like this logic since there are a lot of weapons (like humvee .50s) that have zoom without optics.
if not make a slight zoom for definition, to compensate for the games low resolution compared to real life, do it for gameplay.
I just assumed they were gonna put some kind of scope on em :P

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
octo-crab

Quote:
Firstly, the iron sight perspective is wierd. A standing man at 300 m is way to small in comparation with the ironsight. I think thats due to that the screen is smaller than the real world, but it could be fixed with a, lets say, 1.8 zoom when looking through the ironsight. (Maybe with a like, 1 secund wait time making you able to fire quickshoots/huntershoots if you want)
This, would effectively kill whatever is left of the already lacking CQB and turn it into spray and pray battle (not that it already isn't)
octo-crab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #8
manligheten

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo-crab View Post
This, would effectively kill whatever is left of the already lacking CQB and turn it into spray and pray battle (not that it already isn't)
Why would it. I think there very little spray-n-pray as long as you are CQB-ing systematicly as it is now. Though any assault in CQC is really spray-n-pray and throw nades since there is no time to aim, as it should be.

See http://www2.imenta.com/soldf.pdf side 42 for reference. "Avstånd 300m" means "distance 300m". Do you see the problem?
A man at 200 m just "fills up" in width the front little pointy iron sight stick. It's easy to see in a real rifle, but hard in any computergame.
Last edited by manligheten; 05-18-2009 at 03:22 PM..
Old 05-18-2009, 04:13 PM   #9
octo-crab

Quote:
Why would it. I think there very little spray-n-pray as long as you are CQB-ing systematicly as it is now. Though any assault in CQC is really spray-n-pray and throw nades since there is no time to aim, as it should be.

See http://www2.imenta.com/soldf.pdf side 42 for reference. "Avstånd 300m" means "distance 300m". Do you see the problem?
A man at 200 m just "fills up" in width the front little pointy iron sight stick. It's easy to see in a real rifle, but hard in any computergame.
Your issue is targets are too small at a distance and would like to implement a small zoom for ironsights. Now I realize 1.8 is just an example number, but let's use it as an example. If I'm in a room, gaurding a door I already close enough to it as is. If there is a 1.8 zoom on the scope, in my opinion it would put me so close to the door that I would prefer to fire from the hip, turning it into spray and pray cause those bullets go everywhere.

My concern is that at the moment, ironsights have the advantage in CQB. But if they receive a slight zoom, it could result in firing from the hip in tight confined spaces, which would nullify the advantage of using ironsights. In my opinion your gonna need a significant zoom to make targets at distance larger.

I did look at your link but it was in another language and i had no clue what was going on.
octo-crab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
manligheten

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo-crab View Post
Your ... on.
I get your point.

I would suggest a system where you can choose wether to use both your eyes (no zoom ironsight) for quick shoots and a concentrated one eye closed mode (some zoom ironsight) for distant shoots, or something.

The link was just for the pictures. I tried to describe how men look in a iron sight.

Tags
bad, perspective, smoke