project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Aircraft Tactics
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
CHUGGA-CHUGGA

Default Helicopter and Jet flying, Joystick or Mouse..

Hello all,

Well i hope this hasn't been posted before, i just did a quick forum search and nothing came up, (wouldn't want my second thread so fare to be double posted and removed.) so i went ahead with it.

As you can see by the title of the thread, I'm posting a question/census of the preferences of Pr pilots.

I personally cannot fully decide. I have been using and am currently using my Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO , which is serving me with, with twist able joystick for rudder movements and throttle/collective as a movable ... yoke? it satisfies all my rotary and fixed wing needs.

Recently i was flying around on a training server and decided to try out my mouse. I hoped into a Helicopter and started to fly around.. Well at first the response of the mouse was an upside compared to the slightly sluggish joystick... BUT soon to come was the downside, personally i WAY prefer the adjustable throttle control compared to on/hover/off of W&S keys.

Once i had crashed and burned, i respawned at the JET base, hopped into one and waited. Once i had it nicely warmed up, i began to TRY and taxi... Using the joystick made it much easier than when i was trying to taxi with the mouse, constantly "stroking the mouse pad" with my mouse was getting annoying while trying to get the plane to taxi onto the runway.
Once in the air i begin some simple turns and roles, the response when rolling the aircraft with the mouse was fine, if not a bit touchy but when i began to do some tight horizontal turns i was back to stroking the mouse pad...

When using my joystick with the JETS, everything was FINE!, i could taxi easily, turn well, and do some fun low level flying with precision. Not to mention the increased realism i felt while controlling the aircraft with joystick compared to mouse/keyboard.

ok... so the verdict..

Well fixed wing is 'plane' and simple.... Joystick, for the numerous reasons i stated above^

But for the helicopter..... I liked the response of the mouse, i can see where it would come in handy with delicate landings in between buildings etc...
but with the joystick my flying was much more fluent and smooth, and just like with the jets, gave me a much more realistic feel...

Ive also felt that my landings seem to be a bit faster with the mouse compared to joystick, im much more .. picky with my landings on the joystick, seeing that it takes my longer to line up the helicopter compared to the mouse....

All that's nice but it leads me nowhere....

So if you want please post your preferences and side of the debate bellow, help us all out.

Thanks again, CHUGGA CHUGGA

"Where to mate- " Visit me on an Aussie Pr server (GSA BigD, Game Arena)- im 0.CHUGGA.CHUGGA.0
CHUGGA-CHUGGA is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #2
smee
Supporting Member

Default Re: Helicopter and Jet flying, Joystick or Mouse..

planes joystick
helo mouse.

with the helo , my thrustmaster seems to get confused when I used twist rudder and turn Roll.

3 x 22" samsung 226bw. Matrox triplehead Quad Pro Q6600 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) OC 3.2 , 8gb's of 1066mhz ram. 9800GTX OCX. 520mb. 3 x 320gbs samsungs. raid 0

smee is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #3
CHUGGA-CHUGGA

Thanks for the reply smee, yeh i was wondering about what to do with the helo, planes a no brainer..

I just dont like moving my mouse up then off the pad then down then back up in an upwards stroking motion like ive said before.

Thanks again

0.CHUGGA.CHUGGA.0

"Where to mate- " Visit me on an Aussie Pr server (GSA BigD, Game Arena)- im 0.CHUGGA.CHUGGA.0
Old 04-18-2009, 06:55 AM   #4
Proff3ssorXman

Send a message via MSN to Proff3ssorXman Send a message via Skype™ to Proff3ssorXman

Joystick for everything.

I have been playing flight sims for pretty much as long as I could spell computer, so I haven't really done anything else.

I have tried Mouse+Keyboard when I haven't had my joystick, and whilst I can fly, I can't do evasive action, and everything feels out of sync.

Proff3ssorXman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
Cptkanito

Send a message via MSN to Cptkanito

Same for me, Joystick for everything

I really think a joystick gives you more control over the aircraft. Everybody is different, just see which you prefer and go with that.

Cptkanito is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
SgtFailure

well you can actually taxi by holding the "up" button, theres no need for constant rolling of mouse. and basically for tight turns i will use the direction buttons also, no point stroking the mouse and end up not turning at all, its all about synchronization of the mouse and the keyboard.

-SgtFailure

When you see a house land on somebody and they're still kicking, you know something is wrong
SgtFailure is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

yes its essential to have a joystick to fly the jets, you cant fly properly and your manouveraility is vastly hampered if your using a mouse to fly a jet in PR

The choppers are a different story, people are fairly evenly split on what they use to fly.
Personally i use a keyboard and mouse, started in vanilla and after some experiance in 2v2 heli vs heli matches i moved on to PR, although flying in PR is quite different in most aspects the basic control of a helicopter still uses a lot of the skills i picked up in vanilla.

I have tryed to use a joystick to fly a helicopter and i just cant seam to get to grips with it properly, every manouver i know relies on me instictivly just moving my hands in a certain direction without me thinking about it, so when i try to replicate this with a joystick i crash and burn lol

there are a few advantages and disadvantages with both peripherals,
for example, yes a joystick is more smoother in flight, but with a mouse and keyboard you can have 100% throttle followed by 0% throttle instantly and can stab away to pull of some interesting manouvers a hell of a lot harder to achive using a joystick throttle,

But at the end of the day its down to user preferance, I know of good pilots that use both the joystick and the mouse/keyboard setups and even one that uses pure keyboard, whatever works best

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.
Nickbond592 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
CHUGGA-CHUGGA

Hello all,

thank you for your replies,

yes i have been flying on simulators (namely FSX) for awhile now, and of course, joystick is the only thing i use in the simulators.... but im having second thoughts about that in Pr. Was doing so more flying today, yes the quick stabs of power and quick lurchy movements of the mouse compared to slow smooth of the joystick really does come in handy .. haven't used mouse&KB in combat yet but I'm sure i will get the chance.

Thank you Sgt Failure for that useful information about taxiing, im sure it will come in handy when i don't have my joystick at hand.

Hmm still undecided, but i have to say the throttle control on my joystick really helps, the landings (for me) are softer with it.

Talking about evasion techniques.. I don't really know any written techniques, kinda just try to make a break for cover, so i haven't (luckily as I'm still deciding) got any hand movements imprinted into my brain.

Well thanks for you thoughts

P.S nice sig nikbond, how come you can have animated sigs??

Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
smee
Supporting Member

always wondered about getting some foot peddles for rudder. Thought that could be kewl.

Did try TrackIR, but needed to run in mouse mode to use which considering i use mouse was a no no. So that went back.

3 x 22" samsung 226bw. Matrox triplehead Quad Pro Q6600 "LGA775 Kentsfield" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) OC 3.2 , 8gb's of 1066mhz ram. 9800GTX OCX. 520mb. 3 x 320gbs samsungs. raid 0

smee is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #10
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I rarely fly jets in PR, but joystick is my preffered controller in both planes and helis.

In some cases you can actually get a more rapid and precise response with a mouse, but overall I prefer the stick as it makes flying smoother, and makes long continous manouvers possible.

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
flying, helicopter, jet, joystick, mouse