project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Jul 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #1
Menigmand
Default Can anyone explain why we capture flags?

I have been playing PR for a while, and been doing my best to capture flags, as I assumed this would cause ticket bleeds to the opposition.

However, I never knew for sure, and went back to the manual recently to find out - but after re-reading all of it, I found no mention of the effects of capturing flags.

Asking other players yielded lots of "I don't know either.."

So why capture those flags? Why not just take one or two and then camp there (nice campsites on Kozelsk for example..)
Menigmand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
LeChuckle
Default Re: Can anyone explain why we capture flags?

its gonna start a bleed for the enemy eventually, and if you cap their last flag they might not be able to spawn anymore also resulting in extreme bleed on some maps. if youre not having a bleed and are happy defending, just make sure you kill more than you die and lose as few vehicles as possible.

LeChuckle is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

some maps have a bleed from capturing flags (at least they used to)

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
nick20404

Ticket bleed is on all AAS maps but some, most maps with bleed the bleed starts when the last or second to last flag is taken. Other AAS maps without bleed are basically kill maps, some maps have ticket bleed for only one side, Usually the first two flags are just leeway and have no effect besides having a safe place to set up a base etc.
nick20404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
ReaperMAC

Send a message via AIM to ReaperMAC Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperMAC

It's primarily objective based, giving the entire team an objective with a similar goal and promoting teamwork. "Assault and Securing flags" (aka capturing) basically represents the combating armies 'securing' areas of importance in the area of operations rather than search and destroy in the other games. That's how I usually see it anyways; hopefully in the future these 'flags' can actually spawn strategic assets as well (similar to Korengal's side objective).

In addition, it's a BF2 mod , and essentially the main thing about BF2 is basically Capture the flag

PR Test Team: Serious Business
[R-DEV]dbzao: My head Rhino.... (long pause) My beautiful head
[R-DEV]Rhino - If you want to spam do it in the tester area please.
Control the Media, Control the Mind.
ReaperMAC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Koroush47

That would be awesome, if you capture an area and you get to use the assets in it.

Like "Motorpool" It has a bunch of vehicles that the team who has it can use. That will make the other team create massive assaults to take it back if they want vehicles!
Koroush47 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Harrod200

Indeed, whereby holding certain maps provides actual benefits, for example;

Holding an Artillery position on a hill decreases the off-map arty reload time
Capturing a motorpool spawns a number of vehicles
Capturing an airport spawns choppers/(if possible) initiates a small negative-bleed for the holding side (tickets go UP slowly over time, making it a major objective)

404: Signature not found
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
Jigsaw

Shits and giggles?

Most AAS maps have some form of bleed on afaik its just a matter of triggering it. Tad Sae for instance has an absolutely massive bleed if one side holds both of the flags. Same for EJOD desert as when either side captures the gas station/desert fortification flag it puts on a massive bleed and prevents the opposing team from spawning on their main, effectively winning the round.

It is to provide an objective based element to the gameplay, and to centralise the fighting. This is why flags must be captured in specific sequence as it focuses combat to that area, instead of the 'nilla method of any flag can be captured and enemy can just pop up anywhere which in turn creates the frag fest that is 'nilla BF2.

Hopefully in future builds we will start to see more of the flag based objectives popping up such as on Korengal. This will most likely be included in insurgency maps such as the upcomming Sangin and Feyzebad, but certainly could have an application in AAS as well.

Not to mention that there is already another non-flag capture based game mode; the criminally underused CnC mode. Personally i'd like to see more servers running this mode to introduce some variety into the established AAS/insurgency sequence.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Last edited by Jigsaw; 03-21-2009 at 11:44 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
nick20404

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw-uk View Post
Shits and giggles?

All AAS maps have some form of bleed on afaik its just a matter of triggering it. Tad Sae for instance has an absolutely massive bleed if one side holds both of the flags. Same for EJOD desert as when either side captures the gas station/desert fortification flag it puts on a massive bleed and prevents the opposing team from spawning on their main, effectively winning the round.

It is to provide an objective based element to the gameplay, and to centralise the fighting. This is why flags must be captured in specific sequence as it focuses combat to that area, instead of the 'nilla method of any flag can be captured and enemy can just pop up anywhere which in turn creates the frag fest that is 'nilla BF2.

Hopefully in future builds we will start to see more of the flag based objectives popping up such as on Korengal. This will most likely be included in insurgency maps such as the upcomming Sangin and Feyzebad, but certainly could have an application in AAS as well.

Not to mention that there is already another non-flag capture based game mode; the criminally underused CnC mode. Personally i'd like to see more servers running this mode to introduce some variety into the established AAS/insurgency sequence.
What about sunset city? no bleed what so ever, Operation berrcuda only has a bleed for the Chinese forces, Chinese have to rely on killing enough Americans until there tickets run out.
nick20404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
What about sunset city? no bleed what so ever, Operation berrcuda only has a bleed for the Chinese forces, Chinese have to rely on killing enough Americans until there tickets run out.
True, very true however only 2 exceptions therefore and as I detailed in my post there are other reasons for capturing flags beyond initiating a bleed.

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
capture, explain, flags