project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

View Poll Results: What do you think of this idea?
Yes, please implement this as soon as possible! 6 40.00%
I like it, but I think the system's fine as it is. 2 13.33%
I like it, but I think there are other ways around it. (Please specify) 4 26.67%
I don't like it, please don't touch the jeeps! 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
Malik
Banned

Default New Jeep Ideas (Seperate Thread)

The discussion in the other thread about Jeep changes has lead to the following ideas coming up:

According to 0.3's pre release statements, heavy jeeps will be replacing light jeeps on most maps as the currreny light jeeps are 'unrealistic', and current heavy jeeps will be adjusted to carry 6 people in total. This is all fair enough, but it's a known fact that jeeps are VERY poorly protection. One proned support guy can kill all the passengers in a Humvee due to its lack of windows. This fact has led many to believe that the changes we need to the jeeps are to make them more enclosed, i.e. a hardtop Humvee, doors on the back of the Vodnik and a hard top Nanjing. The thing is, this spawns more problems. Aren't we just producing super fast APCs if we do this? Well, this seems to be the solution:

The current heavy jeeps will be the new light jeeps. They'll have a total of six places, and we can even increase their speed a bit. Armour will remain the same, though perhaps putting some resistant glass on the vehicles would be reasonable. The weapons on the vehicles will be changed to something that isn't so armour piercing, but can still cut down infantry. Light jeeps vs light jeeps should end up in stalemate, their armour can withstand each other's.

A new vehicle class will be created, a stronger breed of jeeps designed with the strengthened weapons of the PR mod in mind. Let's call it the 'true heavy jeep' class. Heavy jeeps will probably all be the same models as their lighter conterparts, but they'll incorporate all the requested upgrades so they stand a greater chance against opponents on the Battlefield. Their armour will be resistant to the majority of light weapons, but high calibre weapons will be able to affect them. The vehicles will be in a slightly different design. Windows will be removed except for the windscreen. The rear will be enclosed, even on the Vodnik. Because of this enclosure, passenger numbers will be decreased to 4 or 5, and all passengers except the gunner may not fire their weapons. The mounted weapon on the vehicle will remain as .50 calibre, and on some models on some maps a TOW or RPG emplacement could be added, with limited ammunition of course. The vehicle will be slower than a standard jeep, but unlike it's lighter counterpart it's passengers will be safe to the majority of threats on the Battlefield.

So, what does everyone think?

Edit: Here's a summary of what I suggested:

Light Jeep:
  • Will hold 6 people, regardless of army using it and regardless of real life counterparts. Squads have 6 people, light jeeps can hold 6 people.
  • Will carry a non-armour piercing cannon, but can still mow down infantry.
  • All passengers can fire their own weapons from the rear or passenger seats.
  • All passengers are vulnerable to bullets from some angle, so it's never impossible to shoot them.
  • The armour is about the same as it is now, though it's more resistant to the guns on other light jeeps.
  • The vehicle has improved speed from the current heavy jeeps, but still can't compete with the older light jeeps.

Heavy Jeep:

• Will hold 4 people, regardless of army using it and regardless of real life counterparts.
  • Will carry the same cannon current heavy jeeps carry. Able to destroy light jeeps as easy as they do now, but other heavy jeeps won't be so easy. Other models may incorporate a light missile system, but this could be a new feature for new maps.
  • No passengers can fire their weapons from inside the vehicle, they have a nice interior view of the vehicle and their team mates riding with them.
  • The only weakspots on these vehicles will be the front windshield and the hole where the gunner stands. Yes, grenades can get.
  • Stronger armour than present vehicles, resistant to most rifle fire, but heavy rounds harm it as usual. Maybe it can resist one rocket or one of those new SLAM packs, but tanks have no problem.
  • The vehicle is slightly slower than the present heavy jeep, because of the armour.
Last edited by Malik; 04-29-2006 at 04:29 PM..
Old 04-29-2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Solitas

Agreed, it a good medium. I don't mind the passengers being exposed, but currently the Hummer and Nanjing are a little too exposed due to the windows.

I'll edit the 'Protection' section of my thread to link to this as what Is an agreed proposal.

Edit: Forgot to mention, don't attach TOW's to hummers, gives them anti-armour properties which would be unwise. It barely worked in BF:SF and tanks could take more rocket punishment in that.
The 'True Heavy Jeeps' sould be a main focus of a much more durable vehicle capable of surviving explosive ordenance (tank shells, rockets, c4, mines?), and a gun upgrade namely the .50 calibre turret.
Last edited by Solitas; 04-29-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

you are asking us to re make all the heavy jeeps from scratch thou

its alot of work to do where that work could be put towards doing v1

[R-DEV]Rhino is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

ME again - I think really feel their is not enough difference to merit having 2 versions.
Games are fun because they take the interesting things in reality and put them together, removing boring this like eating, sleepign and travely 500 miles.
What has been suggested in probaly complely real but i dont feel it will benift gamelpay enough. Their will often be a sitaution where a "light" jeep is being used for attact purposes, driving into serious enemy fire and where "heavy jeeps" will just be used for transport. This will complelty DEFEAT THE PURPOSE of having 2 types and there is almost no way of PREVENTING THIS.

It would be far far more sensible to just have a truck that carries more troops than a light jeep, doing the job it was inteended for alot better but alos considerebly decreasing the chance of it beign used for the "wrong" purpose" due to almost zzero armour.

HOWEVER a slightly adjust HUMVEE would benifit gameplay. These ejustements would include just the following this and nothing ELSE:

- carries 5, 2 front, 2 back, 1 gunner = complete sense and is better for trasport that the semi present version (not .30

- back is covered with same protection as side adn front = simple but very basic protection, no baking stabing and very very realistic, 90 % of humvee are like that most of the time

- 7.62 mm and smaller rpounds can not pass through both the any glass and any wall. But 50 cals round can pass thorugh and hurt men if they hit them.

- PRESENT WINDOW have either one of 3 things done
1 - no change but soldiers cna fire out but they can also duck their head while sitting in chair
2 - a small slit with 70% of window covered, troops cna see out but have it is limited due to small size of slit BUT they are also protect more
3 - bullet proof glass is putting in all the side window, this provides the smae protection as the all the walls.

EXTRA more complex ideas that might not be possible but should be mentioned

- jeep can be destroyed quicker if shot in the engine, even though the armour is the same through out, technically bullets shot at the main body would not stop it but due to gameplay reasons must cause damage. TO maitain both realism and fun gameplay bullets to the engine MUSt disable it faster.

- after a certain number of bullet strikes to any glass, it no longer provedes any proteciton and therefore bullets pass through it. This would not require any changes to the what the glass looks like cos we know how bad the BF2 enign is.
Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 04-29-2006 at 01:57 PM..
Old 04-29-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
Solitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino
you are asking us to re make all the heavy jeeps from scratch thou

its alot of work to do where that work could be put towards doing v1
If it's a case of time restraint, simply change the current HJ to be a little faster and if possible a weaker turret.
Then add the 'True Hevay Jeep' after 1.0 is released.

After all what we are suggesting is an addition to what we alreayd have I.e somethign that should be added on once the mod is finished.
(I for one am a very patient man)
Solitas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
six7

Send a message via MSN to six7 Send a message via Skype™ to six7

i just think the current HMMWVs, Nanjings,and Vods should get extra protection for the passengers. The passengers should be enclosed inside the vehicle, not hanging their lets out the back. Even the Vod's passengers are at risk sitting in the back. There is suposed to be a large door there. Most HMMWVs have a hard back on them, and some variants of the Nanjing have a hard top.

Quote:
Of mankind we may say in general they are fickle, hypocritical, and greedy of gain. -Niccolò Machiavelli
six7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:55 PM   #7
Solitas

OK I've just thought of a compromise opinions please.

Current HJ's, speed boost, troops enclose inside vehicle, BP glass on windows, only 6 passengers (possibly change turret form .50).

Introduce military trucks capable of transporting large amounts of troops, no offensive capabilities, potentially good defensive options: http://hometown.aol.com/bistheiceman...s/im000162.jpg
Old 04-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

Solitas i aggree, 1 version only,ALL CARRY 5 COS it is either 5 or 7 and 7 is too many. 6 is uneaven in most vehicles and it is alot harder to have 6.

Any MORE POST PLEASE READ MY LONG ONE TO CHECK IT IS NOT A MAJPOR REPEAT! ( 4 up) thanks

To get the old truck ideas started off i suggest that it carries between 7 and 12.
THe reason for such a large range is cos you have to consider different factors:

- squad size, can it transport a whole one, 1 and a half or 2. Each one a different impacations cos you might split a S up and that is bad.
- what is an rediculous number of ppeps to get killed at once.
- how would it effect gamplay, on smaller maps it could mgiht transport a whole team
- what is the reason to use it when there is a more armoured version, that only carries 2 less
Top_Cat_AxJnAt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Malik
Banned

Well, my system can be adjusted quite easily, I'm not necessarily saying the true heavy vehicles are restricted to being the same models as their weaker counterparts (i.e. both American jeeps needn't be Humvees, I'm sure there are alternatives the military uses).

When we see the British forces brought into the game I imagine th Land Rover will be used, in which case we can see two variations of that, one opened up version with more speed and more passengers, one closed version with more firepower, just like I said here.

And does anyone know if it's against the EA rules to edit their models, for example making the enclosed versions of the vehicles?
Malik is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #10
Solitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top _Cat the great
Solitas i aggree, 1 version only,ALL CARRY 5 COS it is either 5 or 7 and 7 is too many. 6 is uneaven in most vehicles and it is alot harder to have 6.

Any MORE POST PLEASE READ MY LONG ONE TO CHECK IT IS NOT A MAJPOR REPEAT! ( 4 up) thanks
Leave it as 6 just to cater to gameplay elements (full squad).

But the truck should be solely for transport, only an idiot would take it into a hostile zone.

Also, read 'Top_Cat the great's' post, read it damnit!

Tags
ideas, jeep, seperate, thread