project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Pure_beef
Default Locking Squads - Server Admins use your head

So i have recently been on a few servers that have the rule: no locked squads. At first I agreed with this, i mean locking Alpha squad with just two people in it, is a waste of squad space and is more than likely going to be useless.
However recently I have started to make kit/vehicle specific squads such as Sniper or APC and whilst with squads like "sniper" there can only be really 3 members - 2 snipers and one marksman. However i ended up with 6 people in my squad, who were pretty much no help to a sniper squad. Instead they follow me around and give away our posistions with tracer fire from there guns. So i lock the squad (kicking out non snipers) and i get a warning from admin.

Surely admins should realise that if a squad is Specific about what they want and there is only limited space for the members then they should allow the leader to lock it. Having other players in squad that are not contributing is a waste of a player that could be usefull in another squad.

Your thoughts please
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
jOHNNYdOUBE
Supporting Member

Default Re: Locking Squads - Server Admins use your head

You mean, No ONE MAN Locked squads??

Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Tartantyco

-Just inform the admins that you'll lock the squad and tell them why, they usually listen.

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Welshboy

Send a message via Skype™ to Welshboy

Just kick them when they join, takes less than a few seconds.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
spybaz

In my experience, locked squads are a source of frustration and usually nooberism:

1) Most perma-locked squads are ineffective (read solo sniper and/or a locked APC squad that does NOT behave as an APC which is, of course, an Armored PERSONNEL CARRIER!!). This is from my own personal observations, playing every day. These squads tend to do everything except achieve the objectives, like they are own their own private training mission within a fully fledged war zone, hogging assets. However, I do agree in locking squads at the start of a round until you have all the people that you want on your squad on board.

2) If people lock down a squad with less than 6 people in it then new players joining a server may be unable to join or create a squad of the required 3 people that makes a squad effective ( a real frustration of mine!).

3) If you lock a squad that isn't full then no one can hop into your squad briefly to chat and inform you of other squads activities. This saves typing that may or may not be even noticed by the locked squad on that personal training mission

Just a personal opinion and experienced observation. I know some people will disagree. Locked squads are generally frustrating to me on quite a few levels regarding their lack of impact on the overall outcome of any given battle.

ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe | AMD 6000+ (dual core) @ 3.01GHz | 4GB RAM | NVidia GTX 295 | Creative XFi Audio | Win 7
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
xXRich07Xx
Banned

Eh, myself and other PRT members sometimes make a custom squad and then lock it. Simply to avoid noobs and jack@$$3$
Old 02-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
spybaz

Edited:
To me, it is more conducive to the overall success of PR if experienced squads help train new recruits!

ASUS M2N SLI Deluxe | AMD 6000+ (dual core) @ 3.01GHz | 4GB RAM | NVidia GTX 295 | Creative XFi Audio | Win 7
Last edited by spybaz; 02-23-2009 at 07:34 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
xXRich07Xx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spybaz View Post
To me, the 'jack@$$3$ ' is the one who will not help train new recruits!

(I'm too old for this!)
So that would be you then?

Let's not start a flame war.

Over the past two weeks there has been a spike in garbage play and play more akin to Halo 2
than a realistic game.

I've seen players drive around in small circles with the forklifts, and run team mates over, people who punish repeatedly even though it was obviously an accident, and people who can type but refuse to communicate with their squad, and instead just follow the squad willy nilly doing what they want without regards to the squad or commander's orders. And if you kick them from the squad, they hunt you down and TK you.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
spybaz

No flame war, man. My post was in haste and I will edit it. You are entitled to feel as you do about noobs. It's all good. I'm just saying that I think noobs should be helped learn and not admonished. I was a noob once and I appreciated having a good squad teaching me the ropes way back then.
Of course, if the noob in question has not read the manual and is being annoying by asking too many questions and destroying too many assets then, yes - kick him.

PS: "people who punish repeatedly" - can you punish TKers in PR? I have never seen the option. I must be losing it.

Last edited by spybaz; 02-23-2009 at 07:45 PM..
Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM   #10
McBumLuv

On some servers, yes, on others not. It's a server option whether to have it an option or to not punish TKs.

Closed Thread

Tags
admins, head, locking, server, squads