project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
TheParadoX
Supporting Member
Default Is it me, or is the US marksman rifle useless at 250+ meters ?

Hi,

I've played a whole round with the marksman rifle. I wanted to try the rifle, as I never played with it, so instead of going with my squad, I staid in the mountain, behind the docks, in Muttrah city.

First try engaging at 400+ meters. Result: The ennemy didnt even notice they were shot at. It's like my bullets never arrived.

So I went closer: 300+ meters. Result, after at least 3 mags: My rounds arrived, but with at least 5 to 10 meters deviation. Completely unusable at that distance, in other words.

So I went closer, again: 200+ meters. I managed to hit 2 guys. That's it. All other rounds didn't hit their target. I didn't go closer, the G3's of the ennemies were firing at me - and hit me after a few seconds.

So here's my question: What's the point of having a double zoom if you can't use it ? Please take into consideration that I am playing since 0.5, and that I know how to play with the sniper kit. I took my time to aim, at one point I even waited 15 seconds on a target. And I still missed. So I know this is not a sniper rifle and the marksman is supposed to go with his squad, but why a double zoom then ? Plus, if the rifle is less accurate than any M16A4 / G3, what's the point of taking that kit ?

I was surprised that it was very easy to get the kit - meaning that no one took it. Maybe it's not me and the rifle does suck Don't get me wrong, I am just intrigued about the point of this class when it has no real advantage over the non-limited and more powerful Rifleman class.

I tried the US Marksman rifle for this whole round, but I've played with the british and MEC rifle as well, and never have I felt more accurate than any other scoped rifle.

Regards,
TheParadoX
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Durandal

Default Re: Is it me, or is the US marksman rifle useless at 250+ meters ?

Yeah... the marksman rifle (the US one at least) is pretty much worthless. I know its not supposed to be a sniper rifle per say, but it is actually worse than iron sights. Fix pleaaaaase.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Koroush47

Yeah, the marksman is kinda wonky. It should be much more accurate.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Settle for 5 seconds and pace your shots with 2 second intervals. You'll hit anything out to 500m crouch, anything out to 600m prone.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
R.J.Travis
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Settle for 5 seconds and pace your shots with 2 second intervals. You'll hit anything out to 500m crouch, anything out to 600m prone.
this but pace your shots with 6 second intervals trust me it helps more then 2.

Twisted Helix: Yep you were the one tester that was of ultimate value.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
crazy11
Retired PR Developer

But the code says 2 seconds.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.- Wayne Gretzky
Old 02-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Trust me, it's only 2 seconds per shot for DMR's until they're at maximum accuracy again. Four seconds for sniper rifles.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #8
R.J.Travis
Supporting Member

Quote:
Trust me, it's only 2 seconds per shot for DMR's until they're at maximum accuracy again. Four seconds for sniper rifles.
but if you wait 6 he dies you wait 2 and come here and cry you cant aim lol.

thing is waiting 2 sec mean the target mostly just moved if he stops for 6 sec mostly wont move for another 3 secs (: thats just what i get in the field unless your counter sniping then go ahead with the 2 because the guy wnt be moving.

Twisted Helix: Yep you were the one tester that was of ultimate value.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
TheParadoX
Supporting Member

Quote:
Well, this is what I thought. I wanted to try this, and it didn't work at all, hence my thread. I taped everything, I can post videos if you want. I had a good ping (60, european server) and as I told you, I know how to shoot accurately with the sniper rifle. Plus, I was in a prone position and my targets were not moving.

I did not know about the settle time of 2 seconds, I was expecting much more. I waited at least 5 to 10 seconds, so my results are even worse than I thought.

Maybe there is something else you did not take in account ? I am just comparing the facts you state with my experiences...
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParadoX View Post
Well, this is what I thought. I wanted to try this, and it didn't work at all, hence my thread. I taped everything, I can post videos if you want. I had a good ping (60, european server) and as I told you, I know how to shoot accurately with the sniper rifle. Plus, I was in a prone position and my targets were not moving.

I did not know about the settle time of 2 seconds, I was expecting much more. I waited at least 5 to 10 seconds, so my results are even worse than I thought.

Maybe there is something else you did not take in account ? I am just comparing the facts you state with my experiences...
WASD movement requires 5 seconds of settle time
Firing, requires 2 seconds of settle time in between shots.

Tags
250, marksman, meters, rifle, useless