project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Default Implementing RADAR

Currently, the AA missiles sound the alarm .5 seconds after lock which means most likely they are fired before the aircraft knows the launch. Thereby making air battles albeit Heli vs Heli or Jet vs Jet very short and whoever sees the other person first will win.

Especially with the missile speeds and the short ranges that Stingers (no Aim-120) locks at. In gunship vs gunship battles, the other gunship almost gets not warning and will die 90% of the time.

For example, the other day i was flying the Havok on Kashan. My alarm went off and I popped flares, but at the corner of my eye i saw the apache about 100m away. Since he was very close, the missile already had .5s of flight time before my alarm. That way, I had no chance. If I had radar, there wouldn't have happened and the apache would not get within 100m of me without being detected.

Suggestion

Allow aircrafts to have a new dummy-missile weapon with no ammunition, but call it radar. I don't know how much radar actually covers, so I'll use th apache as an example. Let's say that Apache's radar can cover 360 degrees in a sphere.

The dummy weapon will act just like the AAVs' missiles and give off a beep sound when there is a target in its scanning FOV (field of view). The RADAR will just be like a missile scan except it will have a huge FOV.

This way the Apache will get a warning if there is a nearby aircraft and can turn around to look for it. Having a Havok sneak up to an Apache will sophisticated radar is higly unrealistic, so this will be a great compromise for the new AA delay.

I wrote this fast, excuse some errors.

Anyone else want to say something?
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 02-12-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Hotrod525

Send a message via MSN to Hotrod525
Default Re: Implementing RADAR

Radar is pretty hard to add in PR whitout having some probleme, if you had more "option" that mean more weapon slot, that mean more complicated flight. Switch from radar to weapon ? useless every one will use the weapons instead of radar.

Hotrod525 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Hitperson
Retired PR Developer

also heat seakers won't trip a threat reciever.

Harrod200:"Fire.exe has committed an illegal operation and has been shut down"
Raniak : "Warning: May crash if fired upon."
M4sherman: "like peter pan but with tanks"
[R-MOD]Eddiereyes909 (on sim tower) "It truly was the game of my childhood and has led to me getting my degree in industrial engineering."
Hitperson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hitperson View Post
Why not? The threat system on the british apache longbow can detect a sam launches heat or otherwise.

I guess you mean before launch?

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #5
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod525 View Post
Radar is pretty hard to add in PR whitout having some probleme, if you had more "option" that mean more weapon slot, that mean more complicated flight. Switch from radar to weapon ? useless every one will use the weapons instead of radar.
You're getting this all wrong. Right now you have to point the missiles at a general direction to get a lock tone.

With Radar as a weapon, it will scan front and behind you and give you a warning of any aircraft that is in range. Then you can switch to missiles and turn around to engage. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want to know if another aircraft is sneeking up behind him.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hitperson View Post
I know it doesn't until launch because it is passive guided. That is why it is reasonable in PR to have the delay. But all i want is radar so that i can defend myself against aircraft that sneaks up on me when i'm in a helo.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
[T]waylay00

Send a message via AIM to [T]waylay00

Or you could just do it like Forgotten Hope does it with their recon plane. They added the vanilla UAV radar sweep to the plane, so you can nearby detect threats on the minimap (as well as by the "beep" they make).

I think that this would be a great addition.
[T]waylay00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]waylay00 View Post
Or you could just do it like Forgotten Hope does it with their recon plane. They added the vanilla UAV radar sweep to the plane, so you can nearby detect threats on the minimap (as well as by the "beep" they make).

Is that possible? If it is, ADD IT ALREADY devs lol! That is exactly what attack helicopters need. But there is one potential problem, there might not be a way to stop it from detecting everything, including INF.

I know most aircraft have ground radar, but its not 360 degrees, so maybe the UAV effect can be limited to foward looking, but have a big FOV (field of view) so that it still scans larger area than AA missiles.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #9
CAS_117

YouTube - TRtest

You can see at 1:00 sort of got the radar working. The blips you have there are at about 400m away IIRC. It has a 2.5km range and shows a top down view of the area around you. We had the option of either giving it a 360 degree scan angle like in reality, or having a 100 degree angle except the motion is slaved to the gunners missile/gun camera. After getting completely confused with the gun in one direction and the radar in another, we went with the latter. The good news is that it works entirely on a line of sight basis so if you drive behind a hill, the radar can't see you. Makes the Anti Air war pretty interesting now.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:47 AM   #10
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]waylay00 View Post

Not going to happen. That "radar" allows the entire friendly team to see whatever the radar flags up, and can't dicriminate between air assets, ground vehicles and infantry - ALL of them show up on the minimap radar. It's hideously unrealistic and will not be making a reappearance for the sake of giving aircraft "radar".

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
implementing, radar