project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #1
Japub

Send a message via MSN to Japub
Default Sound cards and Creative X-Fi

Hey guys!

I was wondering how much a sound card (if you buy a good one) can increase your sound quality. I mean, how much better could the sound be than just normal sound?

I came to think of it when I saw the "Creatie X-Fi" option in the audio settings in PR. A friend told me that Creative X-Fi would make everything sound alot better, will it, really? -_^

Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Sound cards and Creative X-Fi

Good soundcards really help with "3D Sound", ie, if you have a really good sound card, and a guy shoots off to your right, you can basically tell pretty much exactly where that guy is just by the sound providing you have good speakers / headset too.

It also helps process sound, so your game may run faster if you have a good souncard as your CPU will not have to process your sound.

It also allows for higher quality sound to be processed as your CPU dont need to do all the work on that.

So main points are:
- 3D sound
- Higher Quality sound
- Takes some strain off the CPU with running games, music and videos which can improve FPS.

But the first 2 mean nothing without first having good speakers or a good headset

Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
Harrod200

Personally, I've always had huge problems with Creative products; their drivers and support seem utter shite, meaning I won't be buying another.

Rhinoob here has had similar experience with a couple of others, guess he's found the same with those.

Sound cards seem to be the neglected tech of computers.

404: Signature not found
Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 AM   #4
Surround

Send a message via Skype™ to Surround

I bought X-fi and I´m very happy owner. With good soundcard you get highquality sounds.
for example in BF2 if you put the very high settings for sounds you can hear 128 sounds at the same time. High settings give you only 64.

And if you use low settins you dont get any doppler effets, sounds what are far away with decreased treble and many many things.

If I had to choose between good graphics and excelent sounds, I would choose sounds. They jsut give so much immersion.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Creative Xfi Xtreme Gamer here, which has given me a bunch of problems with Vista (mostly fixed now), but I'd probably do it all over again, because it really makes a big difference to me.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

Creative xFi extreme Music, best one in the range IMO...

You will notice the difference!

And for a cheeky £35 now, a bargain!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
SocketMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi187 View Post
Creative xFi extreme Music, best one in the range IMO...

You will notice the difference!

And for a cheeky £35 now, a bargain!
I second that.
Some examples:

You're laying on top of the Hotel on Basrah and you will hear
the guy climbing the latter to knife you.

You will hear Cr2 crossing the bridge (British main) from the Mec main on Al Kufra.

need more?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:23 AM   #8
jeeao

I have had no problems with my X-Fi Fatal1ty for over a year and a half. Only issue that comes to mind is that if you have SLI Nvidia cards, those can conflict with an Xfi soundcard. It will randomly create a huge feedback sound that can only be stopped by rebooting. Can happen at any given time.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
hiberNative

feels like the game sounds "jump at you" with x-fi and EAX at ultra high. here are some examples from bf2 that i noticed when i went from on board sound to separate sound card:
  • use headphones and run in the open. when you run into a bunker or warehouse, you hear the world close in on you and you feel like you're in a smaller space.

• if you are standing next to a house and see a chopper passing in behind it, the sound muffles realistically.

• your rifle fire and voice commands of people close to you echoes in tunnels and similar.

• all the rifle sounds are much crisper with the more "crack" than before.

-
Last edited by hiberNative; 01-21-2009 at 02:50 AM..
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
SocketMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeao View Post
I have had no problems with my X-Fi Fatal1ty for over a year and a half. Only issue that comes to mind is that if you have SLI Nvidia cards, those can conflict with an Xfi soundcard. It will randomly create a huge feedback sound that can only be stopped by rebooting. Can happen at any given time.

Try a different PCI slot,I have 2 8800gt's(SLI) +
the XFI xmuzik. The card might need it's own IRQ that is not
shared.Switching PCI slots would change the IRQ for the card.

Tags
cards, creative, sound, xfi