project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Default [Question] Can this be used to call in artillery?

This is a question not purely a suggestion.

By using something on the hud similar to the Grenadiers' ranged sights, maybe we can implement player-fired artillery. Would this work?

In game:

Infantry: We need Artillery strike E4k8.
*Artillery Squad leader places ATT marker on the GRID.
*Artillery soldier aims Sights, with the correct range bar, at marker, and fire.

Maybe a 10 round magazine to allow continuous fire with 2 second reload times. Then a 5-10min down time for the "magazine" to reload. This will simulate balance.

I'm just making this thread to spark ideas in the community because I think artillery should not just a something that the commander calls in every hour.

EDIT,

Example of FH2's Artillery system, which I believe, with a few modifications, will work great for PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJTHOMAS View Post
From about 5 minutes:

Yea, it would be cool if PR's could work like that, of course with some modifications.

I'm not sure exactly how the coding works with the binoculars and (0,0) alignment, but it is awesome. One thing that I would like changed is the "ALTERNATE VIEW" option to guide the artillery rounds in. In PR, we can just use VOIP from the spotter to guide the rounds in.

On a squad level, Artillery squad would just be like any other specialized squad such as INF or TANK. There would be a spotter and a gunner. With the spotter, the gunner can fire most accurately.

Perhaps, there can be an alternate VIEW/SIGHT for the artillery gun, for targets without the spotter. Referring back to the original idea with the INFANTRY calling in ARTY with GRIDs, this alternate SIGHT will be like the grenade launcher and can offer decently accurate fire.

But this won't be so accurate depending on the range. Since its not so accurate, INF cannot abuse it by calling in VERY VERY "DANGER CLOSE" missions, or risk getting killed in the friendly fire.

On the other hand, the spotter also might be too overpowering because he can make the guns so accurate, thus changing gameplay. Its up to the DEVs though, since this will change gameplay significantly.

I think i want to add this to the MAIN POST. thx for the vid.
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 01-23-2009 at 01:44 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
McBumLuv

Default Re: [Question] Can this be used to call in artillery?

Systems like this COULD work, but the DEVs often say they don't like player controled arty because it takes too many men off the field. I wouldn't mind implementing something like the FH2 system, but it's just a question of convincing the DEVs that it's better to have player controled support, rather than off map support.

McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
Systems like this COULD work, but the DEVs often say they don't like player controled arty because it takes too many men off the field. I wouldn't mind implementing something like the FH2 system, but it's just a question of convincing the DEVs that it's better to have player controled support, rather than off map support.

Maybe the commander can multitask LOL
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
Anderson29
Supporting Member

no offense CC but i cant count how many times this has been suggested. just a friendly FYI

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Anderson29 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
CanuckCommander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson29 View Post
no offense CC but i cant count how many times this has been suggested. just a friendly FYI
None taken, but please read the first line of my post again. I just want to know what others think.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
artwie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
I think FH's artillery system is awesome, and it doesnt take that much players of the field at all, off-field artillery for every 60 minutes just seems.. well.. boring
artwie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM   #7
sakils2
Banned

Quote:
I think FH's artillery system is awesome, and it doesnt take that much players of the field at all, off-field artillery for every 60 minutes just seems.. well.. boring and wrong
Would be cool if there would be some mortars in Korengal Valley. Maybe we could have a limited kit. Well two. One guy with the mortar itself, one with ammo. IF it IS realistic.

Quote:
In game:

Infantry: We need Artillery strike E4k8.
*Artillery Squad leader places ATT marker on the GRID.
*Artillery soldier aims Sights at marker, and fire.

Maybe a 10 round magazine to allow continuous fire with 2 second reload times. Then a 5-10min down time for the "magazine" to reload. This will simulate balance.
Me likes.
sakils2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #8
arjan

How about a new specialty kit: Radio operator or what is the military term for that?
or something like a radio for the Squadleader that he can call in Artillery/Airstrikes with?

Radio Operator (limited to 2)
-Knife
-Carbine (4x)
-Radio (1x)
-Soflam
-Smoke (2x)
-Fielddressing (3x)

The radio would be something like this:

Could be just like aimed as the insurgent cell phone.

Radio could get 2 options:

-Airstrike
Small laserguided bomb

-Barrage

5 shells in a small area
YouTube - World in conflict - Precision Artillery

The 2 options would be linked with an ammo link like the machine gun,
Reloading a new ''ordnance attack'' would take 10 minutes or abit more.

This is just a rought idea.

At the moment theirs a verry limited use of area attacks!
This could add a few things:

-Nice and also fun add to infantry gameplay.
-Get snipers something to shoot at
-Get more area attacks if used right thus adding assymetricall balance
-Usefull for recon teams or defending/assaulting teams.
Last edited by arjan; 01-19-2009 at 09:57 AM..
Old 01-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #9
Thamu

Very Good Idea
Thamu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #10
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I have always, ALWAYS been against player controlled arty

but we were using the AT guns on Fools Road for the same effect using a forward observer to guide our shots...

I had fun and it must have scared teh CRAP outta the enemy.

So I dunno anymore

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
artillery, call, question