project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
28 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:35 PM   #1
Imchicken1
Default Remove Sprinting Bar

Just a thought.

In real life, you don't see a bar with your energy in the bottom left hand corner. I say you remove it, and replace it with panting and the thud of a quick heart.
Imchicken1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
daranz

Default Re: Remove Sprinting Bar

In real life you don't have a sprint bar that makes you suddenly slow down in the middle of the street when you run out of it.

daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #3
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

So I guess daranz agrees with you....or maybe hes just trolling on about something else not related to removing the sprint bar?

Its an interesting idea, but I think its been talked about.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I say keep the sprint bar, when you're exhausted you know pretty much how much energy you have left to get to the next 100m or whatever, and I don't think breathing and heartbeat sounds can really portray this ingame.

But I would NOT say no to having the sounds anyway! would be quite immersive, I remember surviving my warrior IFV being destroyed by the tank on fools, was running like heck up a hill to escape, a bit of heavy breathing would be nice.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Yeah, like Rudd said, breathing and how you actually feel says a lot for how tired you are, and IMO can't be accurately portrayed in game.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
daranz

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CodeRedFox View Post
So I guess daranz agrees with you....or maybe hes just trolling on about something else not related to removing the sprint bar?

Its an interesting idea, but I think its been talked about.
I'm saying that the sprint system is a gamey element that requires a gamey HUD element to explain it. It's like having the mag counter - yeah, in real life, you don't get one, but in real life you can actually look/feel for your mags and count them if need to. Can't do that in game, so the next best thing is including a counter.

In real life you don't have a sprint bar, but in real life you don't have BF2 sprint. You don't NEED to watch your sprint bar in real life to estimate whether or not you can get to the other side of the street. Because of how the sprinting system works in the game you have to.
ArmA, for example, doesn't have a sprint bar, and doesn't need one, because their sprint system is geared towards not having one. The BF2 sprint system, on the other hand, is very much based on one.

daranz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Glad you cleared that up, Good points.

A visual elements would help with the feeling instead of a bar. We all know (well most of us) when you run really hard the blood starts flowing and visually and internally you feel tired.

My ideal set up
Remove bar: 100& being full strength
%75 - Breath heavy
%50 - Breath heavy + Red vision
%25 - Breath heavy + Darkened vision + Heart beat
%0 - Breath heavy + blurred vision + Heavy Heart beat

Now this would come down to the coders if this can be done.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Last edited by CodeRedFox; 12-01-2008 at 07:08 PM..
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
Raniak

I disagree with that. Keep the bar.

There is no "visual effect" when you are out of breath in real life. You also know exactly how much longer you can run.

Raniak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Woah! vision effects? That would kinda suck, it would like being suppressed by yourself

if it went that way, mustn't be in your face

at like 5% maybe redden the edges of the screen in a regular eclipse pattern (not like the blood spatter pattern) to indicate the strain or somthing...

or defocus?

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
Robbi
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Robbi Send a message via Skype™ to Robbi

no thanks, visual effects have already been taken to the extreme in .8 i feel, loosing the bar would not add to the games realism or playability IMO

Robbi is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, remove, sprinting