project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
27 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:24 AM   #1
Maniac302

Default Modifications to the build system

I am a big fan of Team Fortress 2, so when I experienced the build system in Project Reality, I thought it could take some ideas. In TF2, the class called the Engineer can build a variety of machines. When building the machine, a 3D blueprint of the object appears in front of the player, allowing him to move around to set it, and rotate it 90 degrees with the right mouse button. This system ensures that you will know exactly where it will be built, and allows for building it exactly where you want it.

I'm sure most of you have expererienced the frustrations of building things as a squad leader in Project reality, I know I have, so being able to know where something is going to be built, rather that building blindly, would be a great change.

Also It would be nice if barbed wire could be built on a slope, rather than leaving a big space underneath for people to cross under.Finally, I suggest adding a destroy/demolish command to the squad leaders commo rose, so if he or she dosen't like where something has landed, wants to move it, or it didn't come out just right, they can rebuild it without having to spend all their ammo or anti-tank rockets destroying it.
Last edited by Maniac302; 10-19-2008 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: Smilies!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
master of the templars

Default Re: Modifications to the build system

The problem i see with seeing where objects will be built is that it allows you to place them in positions where they will cause glitches, IE: a fire base that is half in a building and you can spawn into the building as a glitch.
using the current system these ocourences are rare because you don't really know where things will be placed.

Make nukes, Not war
master of the templars is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
Solid Knight

I don't think you can do this with the BF2 engine.

By the way, you can glitch into walls with the current system. I had a firebase appear inside a building with enough of it sticking out to allow it to be built. When you spawned on it you spawned inside the building quite frequently.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
master of the templars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post

By the way, you can glitch into walls with the current system. I had a firebase appear inside a building with enough of it sticking out to allow it to be built. When you spawned on it you spawned inside the building quite frequently.
I have had this happen too, but it is mostly luck.

If you can see where objects will be placed then you could do this every time.

Make nukes, Not war
master of the templars is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Good idea but as a SL i would rather just place, build, move and not stay and decide which way each building turns.

Quote:
Sandbox mod has it.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

LtSoucy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Solid Knight

If it can be done, it would be great for MG emplacements. I tire of them being not exactly where I need them so they end up looking into a wall or post or something.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
Mora

Well the main problem is that its server side, so whenever you want to place a object other players will you see you with that object flying around finding a good spot.

And also you can use it as a cover just point it at the enemy and it wont be able to hit you.

So i dont see this happing.

Mora is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
HughJass

Listen to the MODcast the project reality guys did and you will have your anwser why this system isn't the best for BF2.

HughJass is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

this can most definitly be done with the BF2 engine. anyone that has played the sandbox mod will tell you. in that mod, you select an object, then it just kinda free floats and you can move it, rotate it in any direction, and place it where you want it. that being said, i could foresee a number of problems with this type of system, but its defintily possible.

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
charliegrs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
Solid Knight

Like people running around with sandbags and dropping it on enemy positions?

Speaking of that, is there a good reason why assets explode killing people when they deploy?

Tags
build, modifications, system