project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
21 Jul 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Psyko
Default [Suggestion] Cap flags for support

With the latest release of PR and it's new maps, a number of experimental changes were brought onto the scene, not in a dramatic sence but in a way so that the change was small and it's effects could be monitored closly without hindering the overall gameplay of the mod.

The change i am talking about is the Flag on Korengal that allows players to gain new assets.

I believe that this method should be intorduced onto most maps to give the maps veriety and interesting properties.

For instance, Al Basrah, once having capped the village, the British gain their transport Helo and Challanger, thus forcing all infantry to squad up as infantry and roll out in transport trucks and APCs to cap the flag and focus the fight between the village and the city, making the main road the battlezone where many verietys of long range fighting can accur. and lowering the amount of people holding at the main for assets.

Other map varients come to mind, but i dont want to bombard with suggestions.

Psyko
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
Truism
Default Re: [Suggestion] Cap flags for support

Of course we should have it... Not just on Ins maps either. If it's intuitive that a point should give access to something (like an Airfield giving support equipment for Helicopters), then it should probably give it.
Truism is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
AnRK
Supporting Member

I think Korengal might have been a bit of an experiment for this, if you look in the Dev profile Mr Ed Fox is working on a map while whole heartedly embraces this concept and it looks hella fun. I think this kinda things gonna become more common with maps in the future though.
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

agreed, but if this was implemented more widely, I'd prefer it to be as logical as much as possible.

I would say that the Merlin should be avaliable without this system since the British are at an airfield as their main....

I get the feeling that Korengal was designed with this idea in mind...so it might not work 100% for older maps. But I've love to see more 'gains' in taking flags, apart from observation properties/cover...Maybe let it affect Commander's requestable support.

imo, one of the best ways to use this system is to have flags on roads leading out of the map to say "this road is controlled by the enemy" which would make supply trucks no longer spawn. Its less direct than "your tank cannot respawn" but it gives strategic freedom to a team, no supply trucks = no FOBs and more limited ammo.

Operation Archer has the fortress of doom, which would be perfect for something (I say 'something' because I have no idea what the Canadians are gonna put on that map)

Well..in any case. It works very well on Korengal

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
imo, one of the best ways to use this system is to have flags on roads leading out of the map to say "this road is controlled by the enemy" which would make supply trucks no longer spawn. Its less direct than "your tank cannot respawn" but it gives strategic freedom to a team, no supply trucks = no FOBs and more limited ammo.
Very cool idea, such as fools road. But i think it also simulates reinforcements at a specific time as well, like my suggestion in the case of Al Basrah. To redo every map in this way for a single release is possible but a lot of work. You could have a flag on the top west corner of Qinlinglingling for example with something like offmap support or somthing less deadly to fill the previously thought "pointless" area of the map. Creating another dynamic to the level. But Qinling works well allready because when the server is full there arnt much times when its quiet. Everyones allways focusing on village and coalmine throughout the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr2B Rudd View Post
'gains'
Damnit Rudd, stop trying to name stuff before everyone else
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
Kontrollturm

You can add a flag in the center of the lake and when you took it, you gain a cruisemissile luncher in ur main --> 1missile/5min^^
Kontrollturm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Cyrax-Sektor

Has someone been in my head again? Taking inspiration from .8 maps, I'm considering "extra" CPs that offer a gameplay advantage for my map. In-game, the team has to decide which flag's worth the manpower.

It adds more to the map in my opinion. However remaking some maps might be work, don't know about editing completed maps.

Cyrax-Sektor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
cyberzomby

It does add more to a map. And wasnt this the case in previous versions? I could remember tactics like: Take this flag first so we get this vehicle operational!

But thats almost kinda the cause of my worries. Tactics like that instead of "realworld" tactics.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Yeah that map was an experiment and has works sorta right (too many games, teams are devoting too much time to a worthless flag). The team has taken notice and you may see more of this in the future. but personally I think teams should have to fight for assests, be a road, base, CP

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Celestial1

Would be interesting to also see benefits not related to asset spawning, etc...

Such as on Barracuda, if the "airstrip" flag or one of the flags near it are in play, the hueys could (perhaps more slowly than a pad on the Essex) reload, repair and rearm on the airstrip, as if they have fortified the airstrip with supplies after it was secured, and now the hueys can get emergency repair, some flares for the trip home, or just some temporary protection while he figures out what to do next.

Or, say, the bunkers could contain a small supply of medical supplies or ammo after a cap to represent the after-battle recuperation. Or something along those lines.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cap, flags, suggestion, support