project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
addaco

Send a message via MSN to addaco
Thumbs up Talking inprovement

When i was playing Project Reality I was in a 5 man squad, walking steathly through the jungle. It felt very realistic, as project reality does, but when I used the talking rose (defult 'q') the game seems to say the message as a shout. THis highly spoils the realism as you wouldn't shout in real life.

It would be a good idea if the squad leader could set the nature of the situation by a press of a button. This could be simular to Rainbow 6's infiltrate and open fire modes. This would also tell the squad members what sort of situaton they are in so they know to be stealthy or not.

Finally it would benefit the squad if you spoke quietly because enemies could not hear you easily or not at all. The benfit of speaking louder when in "open fire" is that squad members not so close can hear you.

If you are not in a squad "i.e. on your own or a commadner" you choose the nature of the situation.

What do you think and is this possible?
addaco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Smegburt_funkledink

Default Re: Talking inprovement

Hello Addaco, welcome to the forums.

This idea doesn't sound possible with the BF2 engine.

When I'm in a squad that's trying to be stealy, I'll simply tell everyone to keep radio silence. - Meaning that communications should strictly be kept to voip during this time.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
Andrew Past

Send a message via ICQ to Andrew Past Send a message via AIM to Andrew Past Send a message via MSN to Andrew Past Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Past Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Past

Speaking of communication improvements, would it be possible to have a "local" voip channel so if there are squads near each other, they could communicate with each other?

Another idea is allowing squad leaders to speak to each other via voip. I know that there's been several times that I've been annoyed by not being able to effectively communicate with other squads in a timely fashion.
Andrew Past is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #4
Smegburt_funkledink

'cmon Andrew, you've been on the forums since 2006.

VOIP is hardcoded, nothing can be done by the devs to adapt or change things involved with voip.

Try teamspeak or some other third party program.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-...ggestions.html

Look at the fourth from bottom item on the ASS list.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

^ Listen to this man. He is wise.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
EOD_Security-2252

Well what's really easy is to just use a mic, then no one except your squad can hear you.

Informally retired modder - Projects: Artillery Shell IED,PSC Faction
EOD_Security-2252 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Solid Knight

They could include a VOIP application in PR.exe. The only problem would be syncing the squads together with the proper VOIP channel.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Celestial1

There would be many problems with that, Solid. First off, it would have to figure out whether the server even HAS a VOIP-server running. It would then have to somehow figure out the IP of that server, connect to it, and then continue to check for the squad's channel, so that if you join one or leave one it puts you in the proper channel.

And, well, you know, they'd have to actually make it themselves.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #9
Solid Knight

Eh, they could include the VOIP server back end with the server version of PR.

Yes, it would be difficult to include your own custom VOIP application however I think the hardest part would just be syncing squad changes and not so much the connection status or the bundling. I'm sure there are some open-source VOIP projects they could steal code from.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
Eh, they could include the VOIP server back end with the server version of PR.

Yes, it would be difficult to include your own custom VOIP application however I think the hardest part would just be syncing squad changes and not so much the connection status or the bundling. I'm sure there are some open-source VOIP projects they could steal code from.
Not one that runs in the background of a program, joins the proper server automatically, and allocates you to the proper channel.

It's honestly and for truly harder than you think it is. Coding isn't just 'doot doot doot lemme type some stuff here', there's the writing process, the testing process, the debug, and the revise. For every section of coding. If you're lucky and concise with your terminology when writing your code, you'll only have to test that it works after writing it.

Besides the fact, how many DEVs on the team have experience with coding a VOIP program? I'm sure there could be one, but I'm sure that not many of them are geniuses at coding VOIP programs and getting them to run in the background, and pulling IPs and information from BF2.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
improvement, inprovement, squad, tactics, talking, voice