project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
26 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Celestial1
Default Laser Targeting, and IR Chem Lites.

Now, in another thread it was posted that laser targeting cannot be an unbroken laser. Is there honestly and for-truely no way that we know of to do this, or is some research in the works to make it a bit more interesting? Is there a way to use the laser, say, like the wire on the tripwire that would be 'attached' to the end of the wire, which would (be invisible, obviously, and) extend to the proper length of the target (perhaps, the length, and if a vehicle, adding some a bit of inside distance to ensure that the target will be hit, not the dirt to its side. If it doesn't work, don't sue me, I'm just trying to get juices flowing around here.

Now for the main course, this may be a bit silly of a suggestion, but I figure it could be interesting, or maybe just spark some creativity to the suggestion forum:

IR Chem-lites.

Chem-lites, for those of you who don't remember, are the glow-sticks that you crack and they begin glowing, often used on Halloween night, concerts/performances, etc.

IR Chem-lites, from what I understand, is that concept but instead of glowing, they 'glow' an IR signal, such as for bombers or helicopters, etc. I assume that they'd best be used as a 'grenade' type weapon, where on click you would crack the chem-lite, and then toss it to your area of preference. To drop them in front of you, you would right click and it would drop to your feet.

They would be similar to the lasers emitted by a GLTD but, preferably, with a longer 'lase' time. They would, in no way, replace a GLTD. But, if in the future Specops loses it's GLTD for a set of simple 'binocs with range-finder', or some other phenomenon, or even say the engineers adopt it, they could toss an IR Chem-lite into the enemy area, allowing an IR signal to be placed in areas not always easy to lase (say, tossing an IR chemlite in the front area of a heavily defended bunker on Kashan from behind the surrounding wall).

If you don't like the idea of IR Chem-lites, then feel free to say so, it came to mind and I thought it'd be a bit of interesting kit similar to the trip-flare.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
waldo_ii
Default Re: Laser Targeting, and IR Chem Lites.

I like the idea. It would act like the molotov, sticking to vehicles and being thrown like a grenade, and bombs and laser-guided missile can lock onto it, and it lasts maybe two minutes.

These would probably only be given to spec ops and officers, but the problem is that both of these kits already have nine objects. With officers, I suppose we could replace green smoke with the signal smoke and have the chem-lite be in the nine slot, but for spec ops, we have a serious problem.
waldo_ii is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #3
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Chem Lights cant be done due to the fact that the Battlefield 2 engine does not allow Dynamic Lighting. Its the reason we cant have headlights and flashlights on are rifles.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

LtSoucy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
LithiumFox

Send a message via AIM to LithiumFox Send a message via MSN to LithiumFox Send a message via Yahoo to LithiumFox Send a message via Skype™ to LithiumFox

ninja'd
Edit: isn't there a dynamic lighting... setting... though..?? o.o;;;

[url="http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f112-pr-bf2-tales-front/91678-universal-teamwork-oriented-player-tag.html"]
LithiumFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Alex6714

Would be useful to mark friendly positions aswell if the lock doesn´t get confused.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumFox View Post
ninja'd
Edit: isn't there a dynamic lighting... setting... though..?? o.o;;;

There is limited(ex:Lights in tunnels and in rooms, all placed by mapper.) But you cant have them moving and stuff and the type chem lights would ask for.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy View Post
Chem Lights cant be done due to the fact that the Battlefield 2 engine does not allow Dynamic Lighting. Its the reason we cant have headlights and flashlights on are rifles.
I think it is complicated, I don´t know how. But I am sure there is a way of getting light. Saw on the BF2editor forums a thread about vehicle/weapon lights.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Ya i heard that it lags really bad if you don't have a high end computer. It is possible, but a small amount of coding and it should work, but would rather see new stuff then the headlights and chem lights.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Celestial1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_ii View Post
I like the idea. It would act like the molotov, sticking to vehicles and being thrown like a grenade, and bombs and laser-guided missile can lock onto it, and it lasts maybe two minutes.

These would probably only be given to spec ops and officers, but the problem is that both of these kits already have nine objects. With officers, I suppose we could replace green smoke with the signal smoke and have the chem-lite be in the nine slot, but for spec ops, we have a serious problem.
I wouldn't think Officers would carry them too often, as they already have a form of Laser-Targeting, and wouldn't carry a bundle of chem-lites with them. I'd figure they'd be more likely in the hands (In PR, at least) of Specops or Engineers.

For specops, there are a few things that could be, more or less, ditched. However, it'd be all the more interesting if it was implemented as the engineer is, with it's Grappling Hook vs. AT Mine loadouts.

For one: Trip flares. For two: Grappling hook. In Kashan, Qinling, Muttrah, I figure you don't use the grappling hook all that much. For those maps, the Grappling hook could be removed, since there is less use for it (Most muttrah buildings are either modelled in the interior, or have ladders, and Kashan and Qinling are very open.)

For engineers, it could replace either of those (tripflare, grappling hook) or, in a map without the need for it, could replace the shotgun (how many times do you use the shotgun on any maps with attack helicopters/jets? Yes, more maps could eventually have the use of the shotgun-but that's not guaranteed for EVERY map).

It's unfortunate that Bunkers/Firebases can be destroyed so easily by 3 swipes of the knife. IR Chemlites would be another way, by aircraft now, that a bunker or firebase could be eliminated. Nonetheless...

Interesting use for the chemlites:

1) Blackhawk squad comes across unguarded enemy firebase. While passing overhead relatively low while transporting vital supplies or transporting a squad, a co-pilot engineer crewchief drops the chemlite on an AA launcher, and marks the firebase/AA via commander. In comes apache within the next few minutes, and it can confindently dive out of the clouds to take out the AA, especially if someone has now manned it, before it knows what hit him.

2) Specops steathily positions himself behind an APC (Say, on Muttrah) and quickly tosses an IR chemlite onto the back. He notifies the CAS on team and they easily get rid of the APC.

3) IR chemlite is placed on an actual flag area, before evacuation, and CAS moves in a minute later to drop an LGB, destroying the area. To allow for a quick assault on the area.

The chemlites should last at the least about 2 minutes. It would be more interesting, however, if it lasted 5 minutes or more, like an AT mine or C4 would. I assume that you would probably carry more than just one to be safe. I figure that 5 is a round number, allowing for a large margin of error. No more than 5 would be able to be dropped by any player at one time, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtSoucy
My post has absolutely NOTHING to do with Strobe-IR, Dynamic Lighting, etc.

It would be a simple white glowstick (the model, that is), that would act like a molotov (Thrown like a grenade, sticks to vehicles) and 'emits' a lase.

It's the GLTD's lase, tried and true, but in a convenient little plastic package that can be tossed onto a vehicle, out of a helicopter etc.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
M.0.D

but that is not what the first thread is asking for .. the light would only emit light in the infrared spectrum, acting as a target for bombs and guided missiles

or in pr-ish: make a heat-source-grenade on which planes and fight-helos can lock on

edit: too late

This message has been made of environment-friendly recycled letters and words from deleted mails and is fully digital-degradable.
M.0.D is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chem, laser, lites, targeting