project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 08-23-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
TF6049

Default Sniper Question

Why does the sniper seem incapable of hitting still targets at ranges lower than 600 meters? I place my XHair right over the target (center mass when possible), so what am I doing wrong? Is there "negative drop?"

"Make sure that: Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too"

A funny typo by Sgt. Smeg
Old 08-23-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Makee

Send a message via Skype™ to Makee
Default Re: Sniper Question

Yes, there is a bullet drop for sniper rifles, which depending of distance to the target, of course, so aim a little bit higher.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
TF6049

No lower than 600.

"Make sure that: Suppression effect works when bullets hit penetrable metal feces too"

Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Fraggle

Current sniper kits are terrible.... you cant hit **** at any distance *0.8 they are ment to work as intended*.

Use the Marksmen kits untill 0.8 if you plan on shooting at range.
Old 08-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
TF6049

OK thanks for the help.

EDIT: They work pretty well. Just lessen deviation.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #6
thepalerider

Thumbs up Re: Sniper Question

Squeeze the trigger at the end of your exhale. Breath out slowly 2-3 seconds DON'T move.
Shoot during the pause before you inhale.
Squeeeeze the mouse button gently,
fire
breath in slowly,check for movement....

"There's nothin' like a nice piece of hickory"

I play on TeamPlayersGaming where it's all about the teamwork.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:11 AM   #7
zangoo

Here is a simple range card for the m40a3 in project reality to help snipers

100m:18.7cm
200m:37.5cm
300m:56.2cm
400m:78.0cm
500m:93.8cm
600m:112.5cm
700m:131.3cm
800m:150.1cm
900m:168.8cm
1000m:187.6cm

Assuming the bf2 player is about 2m tall, Then that means at 1000m you have to aim just a little bit less then twice the players hight and at that distance for most people a person would be very small so, You could really just aim one pixel up depending on resolution for almost any shot.

The formula I used to calculate this was,

(d/mv)*((9.81/0.66)*0.1)

This formula doesnt take into account drag as there is no drag in pr.

Here are the mv for most sniper rifles.

m40a3: 792m/sec
l115a1: 850m/sec
sv98: 792m/sec
mosin: 770m/sec

Ballistics or Tracers? Please Vote
[DM] member, We are now recruiting!
Xfire:Zangoo
Old 08-24-2008, 06:44 AM   #8
SnipingCoward

i read somewhere that due to engine limitations bullet drop only kicks in after 600m before that its just a straight line

aiming for the head and shooting at the stationary target (<600m distance) after 3 seconds = "BOOM HEADSHOT" (FPS Doug)

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #9
Spinkyone

Just take your time!

I'm sick of hearing: "BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG *Reload*"
I would rather hear: ".... .... BANG *Dead enemy*"

The sniper rifle if not an automatic weapon and should not be used at seriously close ranges at all. Practice with the Mosin first as it is by far the easiest sniper rifle to train with. My favourite thing is a .50 Land Rover vs Mosin showdown: You should take "slightly" less time than it takes him to switch + unlock the .50 than for you to headshot him. If you go for the shot straight away YOU WILL FAIL (and learn a valuable lesson in how close this battle is )! After every shot you wait at least 3 seconds before you fire another, it is better to be on target than to waste a whole mag and hit nothing.

ALWAYS use the rifle from a prone stance if available and never dream of using it standing up, in fact all sniper battles depend on position, cover & stance. It is far far easier to use them defensively than offensively if you can plan ahead and anticipate the likely route of your enemy. If you do use the sniper rifle in an offensive role you should be taking the minimum amount of shots possible, only engaging the most critical targets. The offensive abilities are limited though and a sniper should not in any circumstance move in to capture an objective point! You are best staying away to blunt the enemy counter attack from afar. If you move in you WILL loose your kit and make it very easy for the enemy to use your highly limited kit in a defensive capacity, which is it's strong point.

Above all else if you miss a shot at "closer" ~300m range it is better to hide and reposition than fire off a volley of shots as the weapons of your enemy are just as effective, if not more effective, at this range and they will find and kill you . Less than ~200m then you are probably dead already or the shot is VERY risky. Less than 50m or general combat in a city then you should be using your pistol

The only difference I think 0.8 brings is to make the unsteady delay more apparent/ visible to the player?
Last edited by Spinkyone; 08-24-2008 at 10:37 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
SnipingCoward

AMEN!

Quote:
The only difference I think 0.8 brings is to make the unsteady delay more apparent/ visible to the player?
probably like the HAT steady indicators

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"

Tags
question, sniper