project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
DarthDisco

Lightbulb Attack Helicopters Suggestion

In the past, I have suggested many different things concerning the balancing and features of attack helicopters in PR. I would like to partially revisit a suggestion I made some time ago concerning the realistic nature of the Laser Targeting and Laser Guided Rocket modes.

We can all agree that modern helicopters are far more advanced in terms of their target acquisition capabilities than those we see in PR. However, the sacrifices we endure are necessary to preserve gameplay balance. I would like to offer up an extremely small suggestion that just might help move the bar up a notch for realism, without losing balance.

Previously, I suggested that attack helos should be able to lock on to and fire guided missiles without the benefit of a Laser Spotter, as they do in real life. Instead, I would propose the following: that the gunner, while using the Laser Guided firing mode, should see a targeting box around any appropriate vehicle (i.e. Tanks, APCs, AAVs), Trucks and light transports are debatable for this point. However, the targeting box acts simply as a HUD indicator, and cannot be locked on to. In this way, we simulate the helicopters ability to use RADAR to track ground targets, while still leaving the actual missile guidance in the hands of the operator.

Laser Targeted firing will continue to operate as before.

The only advantage this will grant helicopter gunners is a relief from having to squint at their monitor and scratch their heads as to whether that fuzzy gray blob is a tank or a rock. And even then, this minor advantage can be countered by programming the targeting icon to only appear when the target vehicle is already within visual range, say 700m.

Of course, all of this is moot if creating a non-lock-on targeting icon is hardcoded and impossible.

|TG-XV| DiscoJedi

How's my flying? Call 1-800-FLY-JEDI
DarthDisco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
arjan

Default Re: Attack Helicopters Suggestion

I like it
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

its a interesting suggestion thou I can see it just making it too easy for attack choppers to find targets.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
Alex6714

Well it is easy enough for an AAV to find targets.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Big Lebowski

Wasent it like this back in 0.5? Anyways i agree with the suggestion.
With the limited spawn of attack helicopters already in place i dont see the big problem.
Big Lebowski is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Lynx

oh yea! Nice one!
but this new Heli feature should be able to be spoofed by things like
wrecked vehicles and other radar anomalies so the gunner would have to ID a multitude of blips to find a target
also: allow tanks to be invisible to heli-radar when they hide inside heavy structures like bunkers
Lynx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Alex6714 View Post
Well it is easy enough for an AAV to find targets.
and how many kills do AAVs get on the average game, and how many do attack choppers get?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
and how many kills do AAVs get on the average game, and how many do attack choppers get?
Well, it very much depends on the skill of both parties. Just like the atack helicopters the AAVs need a bit of teamwork, although not as much.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
NickO

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Well attack choppers have alot more targets who are many times massed together in support trucks or bunkers. Whilst the AAV has around 4 targets in total which for the most part and flying solo/only 2 players.
NickO is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickO View Post
Well attack choppers have alot more targets who are many times massed together in support trucks or bunkers. Whilst the AAV has around 4 targets in total which for the most part and flying solo/only 2 players.
yep, I prove my point

Also a AAV should be more powerful than a chopper in combat with each other and it being hidden is one of its biggest advantages.

Tags
attack, helicopters, suggestion