project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
BeerHunter
Supporting Member
Default Are we really a bunch of “wanna be” soldiers?

I read a posting in the mag0t (that’s how I spell it anyway) forums where they said PRM was full of wanna be soldiers playing war with the occasional real one joining in. (normally mag0t comments aren't worth reading but this one caught my eye. Oh and BTW , I detest the little rug rats as much as anyone else. I only go there once in a while to keep up to date on cheats etc so you know what to look for.)

Now I served a stint I the KOCR reserves quit a while back but never saw active duty in a combat zone so I guess I fit into the “wanna relive my youth” category.

I know there are quit a few interested in joining the military in here, as well as some active servicemen but..

After you’ve seen combat, bodies blown to pieces and decomposing in the hot sun, your friends slaughtered by an IDE etc., do you think you’d really want to log on and emulate the entire bloody mess again in a video game??

Have any of you active service people playing PRM ever actually been into a combat zone? Be honest and fair here. Not be judged. Just your thoughts.

So what are your thoughts?
BeerHunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Brummy

Send a message via MSN to Brummy
Default Re: Are we really a bunch of “wanna be” soldiers?

Been to Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's not how I see PR. The things that happen in real life, real combat and situations are way different from PR. I honestly, still do see PR as a arcade game for me to relax and chill.

Brummy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #3
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Aye, also for me gaming is somewhat of a social thing, i can be playing with someone next door or 2000 miles away in America, so i like it in that respect.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #4
SuperTimo

Send a message via MSN to SuperTimo

i use it when im bored, sure i want to join the RAF but i don't treat PR in anyway like a mill sim or substutute for combat.

There are some people that do though..

SuperTimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Perpetrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
I read a posting in the mag0t (that’s how I spell it anyway) forums where they said PRM was full of wanna be soldiers playing war with the occasional real one joining in. (normally mag0t comments aren't worth reading but this one caught my eye. Oh and BTW , I detest the little rug rats as much as anyone else. I only go there once in a while to keep up to date on cheats etc so you know what to look for.)

Now I served a stint I the KOCR reserves quit a while back but never saw active duty in a combat zone so I guess I fit into the “wanna relive my youth” category.

I know there are quit a few interested in joining the military in here, as well as some active servicemen but..

After you’ve seen combat, bodies blown to pieces and decomposing in the hot sun, your friends slaughtered by an IDE etc., do you think you’d really want to log on and emulate the entire bloody mess again in a video game??

Have any of you active service people playing PRM ever actually been into a combat zone? Be honest and fair here. Not be judged. Just your thoughts.

So what are your thoughts?
Erm, you mean myg0t?

Perpetrator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
SuperTimo

Send a message via MSN to SuperTimo

yes but he calls it mag0t if you read it correcttly

SuperTimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
BeerHunter
Supporting Member

Like mag0t because its a term I heard quit often in basic meaning incompetent , stupid , like a moron , cant do anything right etc.(not true BTW - I was just picked on all the time and think it was the our drill Sargent favourite word though he had a slew of others )

Suites them to a "T" though

Doubt its used anymore because of its offensive nature and probably violates a whole bunch of constitutional clauses.
BeerHunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Brummy, I remember you showing us(=E= Clan) pics of your tours. Some were nice.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

LtSoucy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
HughJass

Polish army here, nothing special though, I manned and spotted for mortars when practicing in an outpost in iraq. We never fired at anything that lived, and I only saw action (not really action) when we went on a convoy.

I don't mind violence in video games and stuff like pr, because I can seperate real life from a game, not matter how realistic games get, i will always to be able to tell the simple difference.

I don't want to get in to action in a game just because i didnt get much when i went to the middle east, i play because i like the people that play, i and I just love teamwork in this game, and just getting stuff accomplished is just generally fun to me.

People will make fun of how "you say roger that over voip, etc" Only reason for that is that there is a system made up in the military that works, and since were playing a military game we might as well use terms that are understood by a lot of players and get the point across quickly. PR isnt as serious as everyone that doesnt play it thinks, there is those serious moments where you want to win, etc. but there is many moments where you just play and screw around, and i enjoy that too.

HughJass is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #10
MrD
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to MrD

If we 'get off' on anything, it's the way the bullets fly as real as possible, how the effects are engaging, the complexity is up and massages our brains by mixing up the technical games logic and planning of RTS in FPS gaming.

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
MrD is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
be”, bunch, soldiers, “wanna