project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2008
23 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #1
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

We are working on some changes to the overall rules regarding the Deployable Assets in PR.

You probably noticed the last releases focused a lot on standarization and simplification of gameplay rules, and that is always something in our minds when we do changes and additions to gameplay.

So we are changing some rules because of forthcoming additions and to improve overall gameplay. All deployment rules you will see bellow have this same set of rules we are used to in the current release:

- Deployable by Squad Leaders or Commander with Officer kit
- 50m close to Support Truck or 2 supply crates

Let's get to the changes:

1. No Command Posts

We removed the Command Post as a Commander deployable, and now it's mapper set to serve as ammunition and repair station for vehicles at the main bases. We are still working on this asset and maybe it will return in a later time. But, for now, it's not a requirement to deploy any other asset anymore.

2. Bunkers and Firebases = Forward Outposts

We united both Bunkers and Firebases into something we call Forward Outposts. So now you have only one set of rules to control all Forward Outposts:

- Maximum of 4
- 200m or more away from each other

The system will automatically spawn the Bunker model if you are deploying close to a Control Point, or the Firebase model if you are away. This means you can have any combination of Forward Outposts, close or away from CPs.

3. Commander Approval for Forward Outposts

We noticed the big spam that happens when you are in a team that doesn't have a Commander. Everybody starts asking that somebody be one, just so that the team can deploy Forward Outposts as it's a very important asset, specially after you lose your squad's Rally Point.

Our change here is that you won't need Commander approval to build a Forward Outpost IF your team doesn't have a Commander, BUT you will still need an approval if you DO have a Commander.

If your team doesn't have a Commander, for whatever reason, we don't want to force players to do a job that maybe they are not confortable with just so your team can have a place to spawn. But if somebody actually want to be a good Commander, the team will need to follow his plan with regards to the logistics and overall strategy, and benefit from greater coordination and other assets the Commander have under his belt.

4. Sandbags and Razorwires

They will also be grouped in a single set of rules, but the player can still choose what to deploy.

- Maximum of 10 in the same area (any combination)
- 200m close to a Forward Outpost

You can have any combination, like 8 sandbags and 2 razorwires, 3 sandbags and 7 razorwires, etc. Also we increased the distance they can be deployed from Forward Outposts from 100m to 200m, so they are not set as much as defensive structures for your Outpost, but defined at important locations while your Outpost is left in a safer position.

5. Anti-Air and Heavy Machine Guns

As showcased in another DEV Journal, we are working on .50 cal deployables, so these HMGs and the current AA guns are joined together in a single set of rules as well.

- Maximum of 2 in the same area (any combination)
- Maximum of 2 per Forward Outpost
- 200m close to a Forward Outpost

You can deploy either, 1 AA and 1 HMG, or 2 AAs, or 2 HMGs.

Here's how the Squad Leader comm rose will look like:

You probably know, but the slashes "/" between words mean you can left click or right click to get different actions from the same button.

The blank space in the comm rose is also intentional as we will probably get other deployable assets in the near future. I wonder if you can guess what they are

Anyways, those are the simplified and standarized rules we are working on for the next release and hopefully they will have a good impact on gameplay.
Last edited by dbzao; 06-18-2008 at 05:12 PM..
Old 06-18-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
SuperTimo

Send a message via MSN to SuperTimo
Default Re: [Gameplay] Deployable Assets

mmmmm assets

Old 06-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Niftiness. How about a commander remotely deployed invisible truck to drop on the heads of squad leaders who dont follow orders :icon_lol:

I like #3 and will #2 mean we can could even have 4 firebases at the start of a game from which to assault from ie. its not tied to amount of flags held

Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #4
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Very nice update, cant wait for this 0.8 now!!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
General Dragosh

Send a message via MSN to General Dragosh

Me too, i feel fuzzy now

Newly ordered sig !
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_tooth_tigger View Post
I like #3 and will #2 mean we can could even have 4 firebases at the start of a game from which to assault from ie. its not tied to amount of flags held
Yes.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #7
Ironcomatose

Awesome, nothing i see wrong in there and i look forward to the next release

[R-DEV]DuneHunter - No offense to any female gamers, but never, ever underestimate the amount of havoc a woman can unleash upon innocent unsuspecting electronics.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
=Romagnolo=

Send a message via MSN to =Romagnolo=

I rent this post

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto:"Cheers, you're the man, Okita"
[R-DEV]Rhino:"I in fact got kicked from a server for tking."
Hitperson:"well done, treasure it forever."
[R-DEV]Adriaan:"Damned classy Roma, if I may say so."
[R-DEV]Chuc:"Pro man, pro."
(yes, it was about me)
[R-MOD]BloodBane611:"Romagnolo, you definitely deserve a LOL award for that."
Old 06-18-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
killer010devin

ohh OHHH i know the last one.. its fast ropes... isnt itt??

=P
Old 06-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #10
Ecko
Supporting Member

lol, 2 hueys with 3 engys and an officer could set up loads of Firebases ^^.

AKA Ecko1987
Beep-Beep-Beep.
Closed Thread

Tags
antiair, assets, bunkers, commander, deployable, firebase, gameplay, hmg, outposts, razorwire, rules, sandbags