project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
CanuckCommander

Let me clarify. When I said "choppers are underpowered," I meant by comparing to RL attack helos (though PR choppers do need some more improvements). BTW, in response to people suggesting that I should fly with better tactics, I agree with SPAZ because that is exactly how I fly, low on Qinling and High on Kashan. I never explained the way I fly helos so there might have been a confusion.

Hi fellow PR members,

Summary:The attack helicopters need some improvements because they are underpowered now. They are more vulnerable than most vehicles, from AAV, TANKS, JETS, INFANTRY, etc. (and yes i've done my research on and off the forums).

I am a regular PR helicopter pilot who especially likes to fly the attack helicopters. Sometimes I am just frustrated at some aspects of how the A-Helos(Attack Helicopters) are implemented in PR. I posted this in General Discussions because I would like to discuss this with the community rather than putting this in the suggestions forum where very few discussions occur.

Helicopters' Areas of Improvement:

I acknowledge the limitations of the BF2 engine and will make suggestions that are balanced between realism and fun.

Offensive:

1) The pilot needs some kind a zoom (in RL pilots have their own optics). Even though if it can't rotate, some sort of zoom would be helpful in spotting targets. The HUD would remain when zoomed in so the pilot can still level the Helo. I'm pretty sure this is posible by making a different camera view for the pilot to choose. It would be better if the pilot can still free ctrl look zoomed in.

WHY? So many times I've spotted a tank silhouette while flying low in front of me, but the gunner was too slow in confirming the Operational status (dead or alive) of the enemy tank, resulting in getting our helo shot by the tank.

2) Allow Helo pilots to switch between rockets and AA missiles with "F" key, freeing the right mouse button (maybe for laser designation by the pilot with the above suggested zoom function)? This also eliminates situations when Helos are forced to give away their position due to unplanned missile lock of enemy aircraft.

Edit,

3) Due to the lack of a stabilization and tracking system, perhaps there should be a 3rd missile firing mode where missiles are allowed to be dumb-fired, meaning it will not track the laser/mouse like in laser guided mode. This would allow helos to fire and forget at stationary targets, making the helos more effective. In order to allow max accuracy, maybe have the missile track for a short amount of time so it flies in the correct course (maybe say 0.5 seconds) towards the directed target, then the gunner is free to look around in the missile cam without the missile still following the designator. (I don't know if this can be done with the Bf2 engine though).

4) The useless and sight hindering black and white camera view for the gunner should be removed. I'm sure Gunships have color cameras in their optics. Black and white is a very poor replacement for Infrared which clearly contrasts target and terrain.

Deffensive:

1)Helicopter's flares needs to shoot outwards and away from the helicopter.

In PR, the flares deploy but sort of floats around the helicopter, which is useless because the AA missile detonate with proximity and the helo still gets damaged even though flares deployed. Helos need outward shooting flares more than jets because helos fly at a slower speed.

Edit,

2) Helicopter's speed indicator should have a positive for moving forward and negative for moving backwards.

That is just a few suggestions, any fellow Helicopter pilots want to comment and add your complaints and suggestions, pls feel free to do so and I will add it to main thread.
Last edited by CanuckCommander; 05-09-2008 at 09:52 PM..
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
Waaah_Wah
Banned
Default Re: Get down! DON"T get in da choppah!

They are working brilliant right now. Fly at 600-800 meters and you wont get shot down by tanks. Let your gunner do the spotting and consentrate on flying the damn thing.
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Sirsolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaah_Wah View Post
Fly at 600-800 meters
Only Knobs and bad pilots fly that High =P Nuck is between the trees. Try doing that and getting top two like we do.

Oh em geeeeeeee... Yeah. I agree with them all.. seeing as I discussed it with you prior to your posts.

Some more tho.. off the top of my head:
Perhaps having the Guns on the heli have a function where they remain stationary even as the helicopters move. It's quite annoying when you need those 2 seconds to hit the target with laser guided when the heli (after remaining perfectly still and vulnerable) has to evade... in most cases, an APC... =_= (STUPID?!?!)
Sirsolo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsolo View Post
Only Knobs and bad pilots fly that High =P Nuck is between the trees. Try doing that and getting shot down by tanks, APCs and vodniks all the time.

Oh em geeeeeeee... Yeah. I agree with them all.. seeing as I discussed it with you prior to your posts.
Fixy fixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsolo View Post
Some more tho.. off the top of my head:
Perhaps having the Guns on the heli have a function where they remain stationary even as the helicopters move. It's quite annoying when you need those 2 seconds to hit the target with laser guided when the heli (after remaining perfectly still and vulnerable) has to evade... in most cases, an APC... =_= (STUPID?!?!)
Thats why you fly high. You see everything from above but they barely see you. Tanks and APCs cant even aim that high so your only treats are AAV's and other chopters. AAV's rarely drive around and look into the sky, so those are easy as hell to deal with. Other chopters rarely fly that high so your gunner can kill them with his MG.
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
CanuckCommander

Quote:
They are working brilliant right now. Fly at 600-800 meters and you wont get shot down by tanks. Let your gunner do the spotting and consentrate on flying the damn thing.
Realistically speaking, no attack helicopters fly that high due to AA risk from jets and AAV.

PR-ly (yea i made that up) speaking, attack helicopters flying that high are still very vulnerable to jets. If you are getting lots of kills flying that high on Kashan then that is understandable because there is now cover to fly low. But if you are lasting a long time on Qingling while flying really high, then you've never flied against good jet pilots on the other side. The high sky is jet haven, you cannot beat a jet at that altitude in an attack helicopter.

BTW, I used to fly really high, but now i find that flying between the trees and using the hills as cover on Qinling is very effective.

EDIT,

Also it is extremely boring for the pilot to fly at high altitudes and limits the spotting of targets to the gunner while the pilot does very little.
CanuckCommander is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #6
ragchan

Flying low is more realistic, but none of your suggestions would really help make it an effective way to fly. In real life the apache can hit targets from 6-8 km away, thats just not possible in bf2 engine. Flying high is just the best way currently.

BTW, its very easy to shoot down jets with the attack choppers.
ragchan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
77SiCaRiO77
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
ok, that dosent change the fact that pilots have optics IRL and since this is a realistic mod they should have it too.

choppers are "brilliant" but they can be BETTER.
77SiCaRiO77 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
DeltaFart

I agree with these, only thing I dont like in PR now is the fact that AAV still are one manned!!! your dropping the ball devs

DeltaFart is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 AM   #9
Spaz
Supporting Member

When me and bond is flying on quinlin we fly low and hide behind hill, and when we got a target we get up and take it down with the guided missile. The reason why we use the guided is that its faster and you don't need any crew on the ground helping you out.

And on kashan you should just fly as high as posible, the only thing that you need to be afraid of the attack helicopter on the enemy team. Point and click (watch moras video )

The attack helicopter is perfect and almost over power in the right hands, the only thing i would like to see is a stabilizator for the gunner.

Spaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:00 AM   #10
bosco_
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Spaz is teh right

bosco_ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
apache, choppah, flares, get down dont, helicopters, missile, realism