project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
27 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
space
Banned
Default What do people want in maps apart from fricking lazors

Im just starting out making a map and I wondered what other people would like to see in maps. We all know everyone wants opsreys/chinnocks/lazors/metal storm cannons/fastropes etc, but i mean more of the enviromental stuff.
The intention is not to put down the current maps, as the engine has limitatons and we cant have everything ( most maps are fing amazing ). I just want a better idea of what other people think.
I have my own list of things that id like to see, but it would be interesting to see what other people think and also to critise what I think.

1. Lack of a battlefield/war feeling

Not true on all the maps, but some seem just too sterile. ( remember big maps cant have too much on them but I mean more burning wrecks etc )

2. Lack of enviromental sounds.

Every village is deserted ( after all cant have civilains ) but I think dogs barking and such like would really add to the atmosphere.

3. Maps are "too tidy"

Hard to explain but some maps dont have enough natural randomness. Vehicles spawn in lines and suchlike ( again remember the static object limitations etc )

4.Not enough natural awesomeness.

Theres few big mountains, or dramatic valleys. ( Remember that small maps cant have much of this and big maps means less maps ) but archer is a step in the right direction imo.

5. No large military complexes.

We seem to fight over alot of small huts rather than villages. obviously theres only 64 plays max, but most RL battles are over more stratigic places. For example you could have a 4km map over a single base and that would be very realistic.

Thats my list. repaeat - MY list.

PS I know you can point out " yeah but what about whatever on whatever map" but I just want a general feel for what people want, to up the realism ( on the atmosphere side rather than hardware ). Ive been in squads with a few PR noobs the last few days and they all said how atmospheric it was ( which is why I got hooked, but then you take it for granted after a while ) but I think so much more could be done! What do you guys think/suggest?
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
burghUK

more open areas surrounded by trees perfect for ambushes , maybe a field in the open area with thick foliage.
burghUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
space
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crAck_sh0t View Post
more open areas surrounded by trees perfect for ambushes , maybe a field in the open area with thick foliage.
Yeah Rhinos foliage skills really add to the atmosphere in maps I find. When you really have to look to see people its great.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #4
Cyrax-Sektor

As an aspiring map maker myself as well, I've been thinking about what would make a map real . . .

-Signs of life. On urban maps, people were in the buildings. A television here, a pack of smokes or a vase (all can be found in the Editor) would make some structures stand out a little more. In a rural area, you would find fish stands, fruit vendors, and maybe a wheelbarrow and well for their water supply.

-Improvising. Combining structures to make them look like new buildings. The current PR maps did a good job of using statics to look like something else. On Mestia, once wooden bridges are now the makeup of the warehouse. Some cement bunkers, walls and barbwire make a practical fort at West and East Tower. Making do with what you have to give the illusion.

-Cover. From the wooden table penetrable by .50 cal fire to large metal containers, we want something to hide behind. And depending on the combat zone, cover could be a plenty, urban environments, forests to almost no cover, deserts, wide-open spaces. It's like watching a movie seeing units dart from plant pot to trash can. This adds realism and fun IMO.

-Apaches. Talk about a map, and one person will say "put in an Apache". They're cool in so many ways, but will they fit on your map? Will there be a balance with thirty-two Insurgents versus a high-flying attack helicopter manned by two, armed with AP and AV prowess? Maybe the urban combat with all of the alleys and turns could make the addition of the Apache a little fair.

Cyrax-Sektor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
space
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax-Sektor View Post
As an aspiring map maker myself as well, I've been thinking about what would make a map real . . .

-Signs of life. On urban maps, people were in the buildings. A television here, a pack of smokes or a vase (all can be found in the Editor) would make some structures stand out a little more. In a rural area, you would find fish stands, fruit vendors, and maybe a wheelbarrow and well for their water supply.

-Improvising. Combining structures to make them look like new buildings. The current PR maps did a good job of using statics to look like something else. On Mestia, once wooden bridges are now the makeup of the warehouse. Some cement bunkers, walls and barbwire make a practical fort at West and East Tower. Making do with what you have to give the illusion.

-Cover. From the wooden table penetrable by .50 cal fire to large metal containers, we want something to hide behind. And depending on the combat zone, cover could be a plenty, urban environments, forests to almost no cover, deserts, wide-open spaces. It's like watching a movie seeing units dart from plant pot to trash can. This adds realism and fun IMO.

-Apaches. Talk about a map, and one person will say "put in an Apache". They're cool in so many ways, but will they fit on your map? Will there be a balance with thirty-two Insurgents versus a high-flying attack helicopter manned by two, armed with AP and AV prowess? Maybe the urban combat with all of the alleys and turns could make the addition of the Apache a little fair.
I like your thinking you might like this if youve not already found it :

FilePlanet: Battlefield 2 - Editor Object Guide

its a pdf of all the statics and SO many could be used for other things.

PS when I said a heli map I meant light helis. I like infantry and I like helis so thats what Im going for. Might not be to everyones liking though!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
fartknocker12345

please make another "jungle style" map. Ghost train is a good example, and it has proven to be one of the best maps in PR history. I think another would be awesome.
fartknocker12345 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Defiyur

Yeah all the suggestions are excellent. I'm not familiar with bf2 editor so I have no friggin clue about what it can and can't do. I do (did) know unreal ed pretty well though... But anyway in addition to all the great suggestions think about having a scenario in a severe weather situation such as a sandstorm or rainstorm or snowstorm (again I don't know what bf2 can do so). Another idea is to have "vertical" fighting tall urban buildings some of them completely enterable/destroyable kinda like a siege/stronghold type gameplay. Just some ideas
Defiyur is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
space
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartknocker12345 View Post
please make another "jungle style" map. Ghost train is a good example, and it has proven to be one of the best maps in PR history. I think another would be awesome.
Yeah thats one of Rhinos afaik. Im often a SL and when you have to tell your sq "crawl over this ridge just in case" or "scan the area with your scopes" it really adds to the atmosphere I find. I think Rhino has the smallish foliage maps thing pretty much covered, and theres a few good city maps as well. The problem I find is the bigger maps where it lacks the atmosphere, unless youre an armour whore or jet boy tearing up the infantry. Im hoping to find a balance, which is what Im aiming for on my map. But then maybe the above mentioned will hate it? Ive played Kashan a few times on servers where its transport helis and light vehicles only, and I found it made the game so much better. In some ways my map will be a green Kashan in the same style - do you think I care if some people dont like that?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
CAS_117

CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #10
ir0n_ma1den

^ beatiful.
ir0n_ma1den is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fricking, lazors, maps, people