project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #1
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq
Default Vista Hints, Tips

Hey all,

Upgrading to Vista 64b today. I'm aware I'm gunna have to kill User Accounts Control within 20 seconds of completeing the install, and that drivers etc can be a pain (already struggling to find some for my joystick *sigh*).

I'm doing it on a clean new hard drive so I've got XP to fall back to for gaming if need be - what I'm looking for is anyone's hints or tips on what services/features/annoyances I need to look out for or disable in order to actually make the most of my system.

Hardware shouldn't be a problem, it's all fairly new kit - P35-based chipset, E6750 CPU, and 4 Gb of Corsair Dominator all coupled to a Gf7900. X-Fi I'm aware has some issues with Vista, so I've got Alchemy downloaded already too.

Anything I should be looking out for?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 04-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
krisfx
Send a message via MSN to krisfx

Yeah, If your joystick is a well known brand vista probably has its plug and play drivers, other than that stick to XP for PR because vista hates it
Old 04-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #3
Drake

Vista has np with PR as long as you run it as admin and in XP mode.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
Bamboo

I would actually turn Aero off. The see through glass just wastes resources, and with it off you can actually pick what colors you want.

Also check out http://www.blackviper.com/ (which seems to be down at the moment, but usually isn't) for tons of other good stuff, like their Super Vista Tweaks.
Just look at what services you will never use and shut them off. Especially if you install something like I-tunes, which puts 3 start up items on right away, even if you don't have an i-pod.

Up to you about side-bar. I thought it would be a waste of resources till I got it just right for me, now I use it constantly. Here is mine at the moment

That off, restart, and task manager buttons are so much easier to use.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #5
=HR=Drayu

Send a message via Yahoo to =HR=Drayu

Make sure that YOU are the administrator. If it is just you on the computer, delete all the other accounts and as you said kill off UAC. Also, as for services, go to www.blackviper.com This guy rocks and explains the services and reasons.

As for the joystick, brand and model?

Hardware looks good, but after all installed download CPU-Z and check to see that everything is running as it is supposed to. I say that b/c the corsair memory says it will run at 5-5-5-15, but unless you set the voltage in the bios you won't get that speed.

I use Comodo for a firewall, is taking some getting used to b/c it is a nuisance when it is ALWAYS asking me for permission to do things, and even though I said BF2 was a trusted app it asked me a ton of times about modifying content and crashed my game a few times before I got it all sorted. Other than that it has been a pretty good app.

hope that helps.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
LekyIRL

Send a message via MSN to LekyIRL

Make you sure you have a decent bit of RAM(since you going for 64bit,why not get 4 gigs?).

EDIT: Didn't read your full post

I found EndItAll quite useful for shutting down unwanted programs. It protects the crictical process but will close the rest.

As Bamboo said,it's probably best not to use Vista Aero. It looks nice but some programs don't work with it.

[R-MOD]Dunehunter-Freedom? This...is...The PR Forum! *kicks LekyIRL down the well on Basrah*
Old 04-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Cheers guys.

A quick Update:

Clean install of Vista with SP1 included on-disk, followed by 64-bit versions of drivers for the chipset, X-Fi (and ALchemy), GF7900, mouse etc etc saw everything working fine.

Installed BF2, patched to 1.41, PR .708, patched to .756 -> logged in and loaded up... worked first time, beautifully. If anything, FPS has actually gone up over XP.

I've not tinkered with shutting off services yet, so currently I'm on 60 processes idle with antivirus, antispyware and utilities for joystick, mouse etc in system tray. It's a big heavy, but no worse than XP was when I left it alone. Physical memory useage is massive - around 1.5Gb at idle, but as I've got 4 (and the system recognizes all 4 of them now, god bless 64-bit!) I've got plenty of slack.

So yeah, in short - currently everything is looking good, but will do some tinkering over the next few days with that site loaded up. Looks like a decent resource

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
SinrG-202

Talking

I use the aero theme as I was swayed over by its shinyness, and I don't think it really makes much difference to performance much.

You can disable the following services successfully and continue networking in a Workgroup.
*Windows Firewall is by personal choice. I use Comodo too and its pretty good.

You can do this by;
Right click "Computer"
Manage
Services

Stop the services first. Then disable. If you can't stop it, disable it and the change will take effect after a restart.
Also some of those have dependencies, so you'll have to stop them first. It will warn you of this.

also do this;
Goto "Computer" and Click "Uninstall Or Change A Program" (Or Control Panel > Programs & Features)
Then "Turn Windows Features On & Off"
You can happily un-tick them all and continue on merrily.

Then after you've got all you software installed clear out all the auto starting software like msn, adobe reader help and other tatty crapware extras you dont need. (Start, Run, MSConfig).
Last edited by SinrG-202; 04-03-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #9
Begbie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LekyIRL View Post
As Bamboo said,it's probably best not to use Vista Aero. It looks nice but some programs don't work with it.
Or then just do this:

That will change the visual theme to vista basic every time you start that application and automatically switch it back to aero when you quit the program. This is very handy for gaming and I would recommend it.

Unlike the previous poster I would not disable all the services that easy. First take a look at each one, who knows you just might need it for something and if you dont, then disable it.

Quote:
Physical memory useage is massive - around 1.5Gb at idle
Haha, thats insane man. I run vista hp 32bit as the second OS on this desktop and it barely ever goes over 750mb when idle (yes really) but I know that 64bit needs a bit more random access memory to run, but 1,5gigs sounds sooooo much, lol.

Glad it worked out for you. Vista aint so bad as many people say but I still prefer XP for most games. Starting to love Vista in desktop use though, Im a visual guy and its a lot more nicer looking, not even close to Ubuntu Beryl though
Last edited by Begbie; 04-03-2008 at 04:31 PM..
Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Bamboo

Begbie, thanks so much for that tip about the desktop composition. Sounds great.
I am not sure if I can use it since I run dual monitor and alt-tab out constantly, but will try it anyway.

Tags
hints, tips, vista