project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
27 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
Liquid_Cow

Default Airborne laser designator

I'm on a laser roll today...

Thank you Thank you Thank you for finally being able to fight back the hardcoded demons of the BF2 engine and getting the laser designators working! I think this is a huge step forward in reality. Now for phase 2...

Light Observation Choppers (AKA LOaCH) such as OH-58 carry laser designators above their rotors, allowing them to designate targets from below the tree line.

The MH-6 Little Bird carries one under the chin

as does the OH-58's replacement the ARH-70

There is also a Huey varient used by the USMC for this role, the UH-1Y Venom

This allows the choppers to use Hellfire LGM's as well as designate for JDAM's, LGB's, and spot accurately for friendly units. I also beleive the AH-64 and AH-1 can laser a target as well, though they are usually not tasked to that mission since they carry their own ordinance.

Lets face it, right now the armed MH-6 is not very usefull in game (not so with the transport model which I love to use). Without some sort of observer using optics it has to get close to spot enemy, plus its too light to take any sort of abuse from ground fire. The pilot has his hands too full to be very effective at spotting, and the copilot cannot use his SOFLAM or binocs while in that seat. As a result, in my experience, most of the time it sits unused, or some noob uses it to learn how to fly then wait 10 minutes or so for it to respawn and crashes it again.

I'd really like to see this used as its intended, be able to skirt around the edges of the battle, spotting enemy, lazing targets, occationally using hellfires to whack an enemy tank. Perhaps it would be possible to graft the Appache's fire control system into the MH-6 w/o giving it the gun?

Golden Camel Alliance
Fear the Moo!!!
<MFF>
Liquid_Cow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
NerdyDodge

I believe the MH-6 already has a laser designator in game. The co-pilot presses the f key to enter a FLIR view from which he can designate targets. I've never seen the MH-6 and A-10 working together on Kashan, but I imagine the combination of an airborne spotter/laser and the missiles of the A-10 would make it very effective.
NerdyDodge is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
HughJass

Yeah its already done man! go to co pilot and press f. It does not work well but I tired it before the patch.

HughJass is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
NickO

Yeah its already in but I never use it.. The LB's are too weak to hover in the view of enemy assets.
NickO is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
boat

Yeah, this is gonna be probably increased on the use of this, mainly because of the more effectiveness of Helos in these close quarter battles, iam guessing they will probably put more merit behind the idea and actually extend on to what they already have.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Liquid_Cow

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle... I knew the pod we modeled in but last I knew it was not working... Thanks! Hopefully this thread will bring it to more people's attention.

Golden Camel Alliance
Fear the Moo!!!
<MFF>
Liquid_Cow is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
Waaah_Wah
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickO View Post
Yeah its already in but I never use it.. The LB's are too weak to hover in the view of enemy assets.
Then hover 500 meters above them...
Waaah_Wah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:41 PM   #8
Eddie Baker
Banned

Some (if not many) UH-1N Hueys are also equipped with the BRITEStar FLIR and designator system that will be standard equipment on the UH-1Y.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 11:03 AM   #9
ERASERLASER

the pilot has to hover very still for the co-pilot to laser an object well, I mainly use it to spot targets for the pilot
ERASERLASER is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
101 bassdrive
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Cow View Post
Lets face it, right now the armed MH-6 is not very usefull in game (not so with the transport model which I love to use). Without some sort of observer using optics it has to get close to spot enemy, plus its too light to take any sort of abuse from ground fire. The pilot has his hands too full to be very effective at spotting, and the copilot cannot use his SOFLAM or binocs while in that seat. As a result, in my experience, most of the time it sits unused, or some noob uses it to learn how to fly then wait 10 minutes or so for it to respawn and crashes it again.
whuat??!
Ive gone 97:4 with the birdy on qwai. nowadays with the descent speed I cant really get along with I still averagely go 40:3 or so.

as all have pointed out.. its already ingame.
the problem with the scouthelo designation though is that it barely ever "sticks" to the target. instead you get a box which keeps traveling across the screen, reseting itself with every reorientation you do with the FLIR crosshair and therefore confuses the bomberpilot
besides that the scouthelo FLIR suffers from the same restricted field of view as attack helos in general. its a real pity since it could be a really neat assett and fun task.
well, thats just the practical experience Ive gotten with it..
101 bassdrive is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
airborne, designator, laser