project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Agent Johnson

Default Is 3-way SLI worth it?

Im thinking about 3 way SLI to be able to play games like crysis. my question is, will all games benefit from the 2 extra cards or are their only certain games that will? and another thing i want to know is how bad will the audio quality suffer from not having a sound card? will i still be able to play games and actually be able to tell where something is coming from by listening or is this only available with a sound card? the mobo is an evga 780i which has 7.1 onboard audio.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Depends what cards you're trying to put in SLI. If it's three 6-series, then it's almost certainly not. If it's three GF8800s, then why would you waste good money on a third when you could improve your sound massively?

If you want good audio and best performance then stick to using a dedicated soundcard. It's not just about having better qualify sound renderers, it's that by having a dedicated audio chip your CPU does less work for sounds. Likewise, a sound card with dedicated memory removes some of the game's RAM useage - in the same way that video memory does.

That's even assuming you have a third full-length PCIe slot; and even if you do it's probably a PCIex1?

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #3
Fatal-M

as for running a 3 way SLI ! since u said crysis , crysis dosnt support the SLI feature , and half of the other games dosnt , depends on what game type u play , but mostly the new games or i call them the 3d generation . only a few support SLI ! if u still want to go SLI , i suggest u go for either 8800gts or 8800 ultra ! ultra is way to expensive if u got a budget ! as for a sound card , get the Fatal1ty X-fi version ! but as i saw alot of ppl are having alot of problems when playing PR with the x-fi sound card . the 780i does support 7.1 high audio quality ! but there is another mobo ! called evga 670i ! same as the 780i and abit better , cheaper , and has a cooling fan on the mobo , to cool off the cpu ! if u got any more questions plz ask
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
CodeC.Seven

Send a message via ICQ to CodeC.Seven Send a message via MSN to CodeC.Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Rush View Post
as for running a 3 way SLI ! since u said crysis , crysis dosnt support the SLI feature , and half of the other games dosnt , depends on what game type u play , but mostly the new games or i call them the 3d generation . only a few support SLI ! if u still want to go SLI , i suggest u go for either 8800gts or 8800 ultra ! ultra is way to expensive if u got a budget ! as for a sound card , get the Fatal1ty X-fi version ! but as i saw alot of ppl are having alot of problems when playing PR with the x-fi sound card . the 780i does support 7.1 high audio quality ! but there is another mobo ! called evga 670i ! same as the 780i and abit better , cheaper , and has a cooling fan on the mobo , to cool off the cpu ! if u got any more questions plz ask
lol the moobo cooler wont cool down the CPU... he is cooling the North bridge and/or the BIOS chip...

-Sig removed-
Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
Fatal-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeC.Seven View Post
lol the moobo cooler wont cool down the CPU... he is cooling the North bridge and/or the BIOS chip...
i know mate ! , it will give a little cooling ! now if he overclocks , well them he needs a more cooling system , water cooling .. but he didnt mention anything about overclocking thats why i said that
Old 03-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
CodeC.Seven

Send a message via ICQ to CodeC.Seven Send a message via MSN to CodeC.Seven

i think you need to learn more about IT -.- If he overclock his CPU, the CPU will be hoter... the North bridge maybe 1C°... The Northbridge is just made to have a direct way between Graphic, CPU and RAM... So if you overclock the CPU it will not change the way, the NorthBridge is working... The Data transfer trhough the North Bridge is limited .. and the North Bridge cooler wouldnt be able to cool a passiv cooled RAM or something like that... we talk about 7CFM maybe... it will have no effect to your CPU because the Cooler sockel is that big that the Northbridge cooler wouldnt effect anything.

But now back to topic... A 3-way SLI is nothing worth!!!! i got 2x 3870 at the moment and its enough... I can run all games on high without lag... I play crysis at the highest settings (including resolution) with the Graphic tweak enabled... i got a average of 30-40 FPS... Just buy 2 3870 of Ati beside 1 Ultra... almost 2x more power and much cheaper.

-Sig removed-
Old 03-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
Agent Johnson

i thought crysis supported SLI, i remember seeing somewhere that with 3 cards in SLI it would allow you to max crysis out. i didnt just see that in one place, iv seen it several different times in reviews.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Undies
Retired PR Developer

As i understand it, only 8800GTX or Ultra can be used for 3 way SLI and the prcie for those is obviously silly. Youd be cheaper to buy 2 3870x2 and a motherboard i expect, and see similar results. I wouldnt bother, its not worth the money m8.

3-Way SLI

Also it depends a lot on your resolution you are using.

"The cavalry bring a bit of panache and flair to an otherwise dull affair"
Old 03-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Agent Johnson

but will more than 1 help games like crysis?

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
GEORGE_ZIMMER

I have two 8800 Ultra's running right now and that's all I need in terms of processing power. A third would just be a blatant waste of money.

Tags
3way, sli, worth