project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Remove bunkers?

So here's another drastic idea: remove the bunkers and increase limit on firebases.

Why?
Currently the bunker provides the quickest way to spawn back at the CP you are defending/using as staging point. The places where you can deploy them are usually well concealed and protected while firebases usually need some sandbags

However, once the enemy overruns the CP/surrounds it, they usually resolve to nade spam/sniping. You usually spawn outside the bunker, so you are a great target for one of the random grenades flying in. The spawn killing keeps on and on until the bunker is finally blown apart. During that time, the team spawning on a bunker loses a lot of tickets, because they keep dying and contributing nothing to their team.

Another issue is when you try to capture an objective - you do not clear it of all the hidden and not hidden enemies and traps; you "capture" it once you destroy their bunker, so they stop spawn flooding the area.

In built up areas like Government Office/Estate on Qwai, attacking side usually has to resolve to the use of JDAM to blow the crap out of the defenders and the bunker, so they can actually capture it.

Another issue is when the enemy has a thick defense line; when you kill the first ones and proceed up penetrating the line, those first ones magically appear out of the bunker and by the time you reach the objective, they're back to kill you and your effort is meaningless.

So, if bunkers were to be removed, the defending party would have to set up firebases near the objective to spawn from.

If the firebase is discovered, the defending party has to dig in ala "last man standing", but if it isn't, they can respawn and regroup to reinforce the CP or flank the enemy.

Think of it as a castle siege; as long as you don't cut off their supply lines and starve them to death, there's no way you'll be able to get it.
And if you break into the castle there's no way for the enemy to just jump out of baskets all of a sudden and kill you.

Another sub-idea would be to use the current bunker model as a firebase, so players have some protection from any smacktards that just camp them to rank up their kills, but without RP noise so if smart enough you can hide them well.
The current firebase model should get some QBB/RPK/M249s thrown on it and could server as an actual deployable FIRE BASE, which you could build on hilltops and such to put down suppressive fire on an area. It should still give ammo, not unlimited, but still a lot (ie. temporary munition dump role). And in case you got lost; no it would not have a spawn.

Discuss

[R-DEV]Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Morgan

I like the analogy of a castle. It's a good idea that'd make things alot more realistic and less annoying. Also love the idea of a firebase actually becoming a fire base. I'd have the current firebase spawn along with two sand bags either side so it could actually be used to set up a position from which effective fire can be given.

Morgan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

I don't know what to make of this - I think I'd need to see it in-game before I could decide.

I'd say the problem is largely player-based though. First thing anyone should do when they see a bunker is get someone to grab an AT kit and nuke it, or C4-charge it.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
Jonny

I like this idea.

Could get more people transporting squads, too.
Jonny is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Masaq View Post
I don't know what to make of this - I think I'd need to see it in-game before I could decide.

I'd say the problem is largely player-based though. First thing anyone should do when they see a bunker is get someone to grab an AT kit and nuke it, or C4-charge it.
That's kinda hard to do, if the bunker is defended -> the paragraph about "thick defense line"

You could Heavy AT it, but again, bunkers can be in built up areas, where even armor can't take them out sometimes -> also said.

Also, let me just rephrase the naming a bit - bunkers should still stay as bunkers and be named bunkers, you just wouldn't be able to deploy them inside flag radius and fire bases would get their spawn removed and would become actual fire bases.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Outlawz7; 03-11-2008 at 01:45 PM..
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
LeadMagnet
Retired PR Developer

I have no problem with the current system. It's not hard to take out a bunker if you actually use (what's that word....) teamwork. Send in an engineer or specops with cover and you can drop that bunker faster than a teen can drop trou at the prom.

“Without Warning, Sans Remorse”
LeadMagnet is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #7
Smegburt_funkledink

The only thing that made any sence to me was your castle analogy, Outlawz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz View Post
Think of it as a castle siege; as long as you don't cut off their supply lines and starve them to death, there's no way you'll be able to get it.
And if you break into the castle there's no way for the enemy to just jump out of baskets all of a sudden and kill you.
All the other problems such as being spawn killed by a team attacking your Flunker [Flag Bunker] are to be expected if your under attack. Imagine a supprise attack on your barracks, people would get shot to shit as they left the building [spawned]. Anyone with any sence spawns elsewhere to start a counter attack but as we know, noobs cant be python coded, this is another HC issue.

I'd prefer it if all spawning occured indoors, but hey... I love RP's. But yeah, I do agree that in order to secure and hold a "flag" you should have to travel there to do so and dig in. You need to value your life so you can do that job. If you can just respawn on the flag your trying to hold, there's no life value.

Having to resort to using a JDAM? Awesome! It should be difficult to break through and take a Flunker.
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Expendable Grunt

Send a message via ICQ to Expendable Grunt Send a message via AIM to Expendable Grunt Send a message via MSN to Expendable Grunt Send a message via Yahoo to Expendable Grunt

I'd like to keep it, but maybe remove the spawning ability.

Former [DM] captain.

The fact that people are poor or discriminated against doesn't necessarily endow them with any special qualities of justice, nobility, charity or compassion. - Saul Alinsky
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Teek
Supporting Member

We need indirect fire support. Like arty or Mortars that can destroy a bunker after 1-2 mins of shelling.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
DeltaFart

I like the idea, makes more sense

DeltaFart is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bunkers, remove