project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

View Poll Results: Should squad rally points be removed?
Do it! 29 13.18%
Don't do it. 191 86.82%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
SleepyHe4d
Default Remove squad rally points?

This is something I mentioned in the 'remove ammo bags' thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyHe4d View Post
Squad rallies need to be completely removed for similar reasons. It just makes the squad kind of a one squad army and it diminishes the usefulness of transport helis and apcs (for their intended use anyhow).

That brings up another thing, is it possible to set limits on what vehicles squad members can use if other squad members are using certain vehicles? Like make it impossible for more than one apc to be used by a squad and also make it impossible for squads using tanks to use apcs. Seriously I've only ever seen apcs used as light attack vehicles so the devs need to reinforce the idea that it's a squad support and transport vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Anyhow, SleepyHe4d that's an interesting thought about the rallies. You are right in that transport vehicles are hardly ever used thanks to rally points. Thing is though with that, regrouping the squad would become exceedingly difficult.

Normally what an Infantry squad does is when someone dies, they'll wait for the others to spawn at the rally point and regroup at some middle ground between the rally and the target. Without the rally... O man... you'd have to wait for your guys to come back from a nearby bunker or firebase and/or the main base.

Granted, having firebases and bunkers would be top priority in this case. So it could work it in this regard. Basically, you'd be restricted to spawning on bunkers, firebases and your own main base. Not having a commander means failure. Might even see squads dedicated to defending these assets.

It's a whole different subject though, probably worth starting a thread over.
I think that pretty much explains it.

In reply to, "...with that, regrouping the squad would become exceedingly difficult."

True, but that would just promote better teamwork and may just solve that problem by itself in that sense, not to mention what you said. I believe medic is another under-appreciated asset and the revive ability isn't used to it's full potential. If the squad realizes it's gonna be hard to regroup then I bet you'd actually see squads laying down full suppressive fire to let a medic quickly revive someone and then retreat to safety. I think you'd also see squads sticking way closer together for this too.

That is speaking for the AAS gametype though, Insurgency works differently and I think keeping the rally points for the insurgent faction would represent their playstyle well and just be good for the gameplay. If the ammo bags do end up being removed then the insurgents rally points should supply ammo too.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
$kelet0r

Along with a dozen other things that definitely should be removed imo (defibs, medic bags, ammo bags, magic map), yes rally point spawning is a bit of a stretch but then again, remember the hordes demanding that squadleader spawn be kept
While I would love to see PR go on to greater and greater combat realism, I think that between the limitations of the engine and the fickleness of the players that we cut our losses and hope that Operation Flashpoint 2 is any good or that ARMA 2 amends for the turd that ARMA was/is
Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
SleepyHe4d

Doing all that would ruin the gameplay obviously while I'm actually taking the gameplay into account. As long as you can add realism while also adding gameplay it should be done imo. :\

Actually I'm for removing ammo bags and magic maps too. Medic is definitely needed though. ><
Last edited by SleepyHe4d; 02-13-2008 at 05:34 PM..
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
Tef

Quote:
Originally Posted by $kelet0r View Post
Along with a dozen other things that definitely should be removed imo (defibs, medic bags, ammo bags, magic map), yes rally point spawning is a bit of a stretch but then again, remember the hordes demanding that squadleader spawn be kept
While I would love to see PR go on to greater and greater combat realism, I think that between the limitations of the engine and the fickleness of the players that we cut our losses and hope that Operation Flashpoint 2 is any good or that ARMA 2 amends for the turd that ARMA was/is
Why should the defibs be removed?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
[T]Terranova7

Voted yes.

It's a good idea for the following reasons.

- Decreases the overall spam that occurs at CPs.
What usually happens is offensive squads will place RPs around the flag their attacking. What ends up happening is that the CP defenders have to deal with an endless wave of assault. Where the only way to make a successful defense is to sally out and search for the enemy rally, which can term into a spam fest once found.

- Increases importance of having Firebases & Bunkers
Often times even when a firebase is deployed currently. No one uses it except to pick up a Heavy AT or Anti-Air, or when the respective squad's rally point is destroyed. They simply spawn in and make a new one else where.

- Increases the need for good transport squads. Using transport vehicles such as Helicopters and Jeeps only seem useful during the initial part of the round. With rally points, they're no longer needed and hardly ever see extensive use.

- Stresses the need to stay alive, making medics much more crucial.
Pretty self-explanatory. I think having the ability to prolong your critically wounded state by an extra minute or so would be useful, as those 30 seconds you get before a medic can get to you usually don't last long in a slow paced game like PR.

- Slows down gameplay
Slowing down gameplay is I think one of PR's overall goals. Like the SL spawn, rally points kinda add this gameyness where players spawn in on the rally, then rush into the fire, knowing full well that upon death you can easily respawn on your rally point.

I don't expect many people to vote yes, but I think if the changes are made, people would eventually adapt and get used to it.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Wolfe

Before you can discuss removing rally spawning, you first must address the ease of which ease of which soldiers die and the difficulty of trying to revive them. Otherwise the consequence will be disastrous.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
Tef

I have mixed feeling about removing rallies because:
1)Initially in a round there is a mad scramble for transports and if you don't get one you get to walk and must squads just leave the transport anywhere and that won't make it reaspawn.

But

2)Removal would make it more realistic.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
LekyIRL

Send a message via MSN to LekyIRL

I agree with Tef,removing the rally would be really realistic but if you didn't have a good commander,where would you spawn?

[R-MOD]Dunehunter-Freedom? This...is...The PR Forum! *kicks LekyIRL down the well on Basrah*
Old 02-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
SleepyHe4d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
Before you can discuss removing rally spawning, you first must address the ease of which ease of which soldiers die and the difficulty of trying to revive them. Otherwise the consequence will be disastrous.
Like I said this problem might solve itself though, with the teamplay this would promote the whole squad would be working to revive a downed soldier and he would most likely be nearby since the squad would stick together because of this situation.

Doesn't this at least deserve a playtest anyhow?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
$kelet0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tef View Post
Why should the defibs be removed?
since when was the cure of 7.62mm bullet holes electrical shock therapy?

Discussed here with differing ideas
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18-...th-system.html
Closed Thread

Tags
points, rally, remove, squad