project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

View Poll Results: Would you support removing ALL player/vehicle locations from the map?
Yes 37 27.21%
No 99 72.79%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
ender[fdn]
Default Remove the player locations from the map?

*** NOTE: This is not a request to the devs or anything like that. I am just personally curious about community opinion on this subject. ***

I'm curious how the community feels about the map.

Recently, the minimap was removed from the HUD after many months of argument from both sides. The polls on that seem to indicate that a majority like the new system.

I'm curious how the community would feel about all player locations being removed from the map. That would mean there would be NO indication whatsoever of where you or any of your teammates are on the map. It would be like you pulled the map out of your pocket, no magic GPS.

I feel it would probably have the following impacts:

1) Would encourage squads to stay closer together, so people don't get separated.

2) Would need commanders to perform more coordination between squads for friend/foe identification. Eg: SQ1: 'CO, Squad 1, are there friendlies in Echo 3?', CO: 'Any squads operating in Echo 3, report in.' ... 'CO: Squad 1, negative on friendlies in Echo 3, you're clear to engage.'

3) Would force more communication within squads about locations, directions, etc.

4) Would require more navigation skills of PR players, being able to identify landmarks, etc. (There was recently a proposed topo map of ghost train that made its way around the forums which would be very interesting as a map replacement.) This is the biggest impact, as right now there's essentially very accurate, easy to use GPS in the game along with all locations of vehicles, etc.

I feel like this is probably going to be just as (if not more) contentious than the minimap removal. I'd love to hear other people's takes on the impact of removing player locations from the map altogether. But let's try to keep it civil and upbeat.

Please try to keep responses on-topic and remember that this isn't a dev request or suggestion, simply personal curiosity about the state of the community's thinking on this topic.
ender[fdn] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
zangoo

i would like this a lot, but i think that most of the pr players would have a really hard time with this.
zangoo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Eddiereyes909
Retired Forum Moderator
Send a message via AIM to Eddiereyes909 Send a message via MSN to Eddiereyes909

no.

I liked the minimap being gone, but sometimes i just get lost

"You know we've had to imagine the war here, and we have imagined that it was being fought by aging men like ourselves. We had forgotten that wars were fought by babies. When I saw those freshly shaved faces, it was a shock "My God, my God?" I said to myself. "It's the Children's Crusade."- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughter House Five
Eddiereyes909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #4
$kelet0r

The vast majority will weigh in against this sadly - I however would prefer it, this is for all intents and purposes a combat sim limited by the anchor that is the DICE engine. A topographical map and the in-vehicle GPS which only shows other vehicles would be great imo.
$kelet0r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
ConscriptVirus

if they removed the map entirely, people will get lost. we're not all soldieres and we dont all know how to navigate + use land marks to find where you are. imagine kashan without knowing where u r exactly...the map is huge and the terrain is pretty much the same

"These things we do that others may live"
ConscriptVirus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Ragni<RangersPL>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender[fdn] View Post
That would mean there would be NO indication whatsoever of where you or any of your teammates are on the map. It would be like you pulled the map out of your pocket, no magic GPS.
In that case.... Why do I need a map anyway? It looks like I would be some kind of a retard that can't even find himself on a map

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!!!
Do not post stupid suggestions just because you had a bad round in PR
Ragni<RangersPL> is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

Worst idea ever.

PR has no good communication system, nor does it have a command staff that would keep track of such things.

As for vehicle positions, most of them have GPS and tracking IRL so to remove that is unrealistic.
Clypp is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
[T]Terranova7

I like the idea to an extent. If anything, Squad Leaders and Commanders should still be capable of seeing friendly positions. This would greatly increase the need for SMs to follow their SLs. The death a SL could leave the squad members seriously confused, so it would help stress the importance of having a good, active SL. Might also decrease the amount of lone wolves who join the squad and run off by themselves, as they might do more harm than good.

What I would also like to see is some sort of deployable GPS Jammer. Which could effectively blind the opposing team upon entering the jammer's effective range.

[T]Terranova7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:00 PM   #9
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to OkitaMakoto Send a message via MSN to OkitaMakoto Send a message via Skype™ to OkitaMakoto

No, not until there is a super excellent way of knowing where your squad is. You cant have something like this when people are constantly respawning away from their SL. It would do much more harm than good. Without minimap you can still pull up the map to find your squad. Without anything, youd have no idea whatsoever and the text fields would be full of the OFP/ArmA "Where are you" quotes. No one would be together and everyone would be ticked.

As much as it would be more realistic, it really has no way to make gameplay better with the way communication in bf2 is set up.

I love no minimap, but having NO markers on the map would be hell.

MAYBE remove all but your squads. Id be down with that. Except commander sees ALL friendly units. That way he can still coordinate, but as for removing ALL units, big NO from me.
OkitaMakoto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #10
Fearosius

Send a message via MSN to Fearosius

I agree with this suggestion, It would force SMs to stick with their SLs (grunts that is). But maybe when you pull your map out, you can see friendlies on the map in maybe a 20m radius?
Fearosius is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
locations, map, player, remove