project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
22 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

View Poll Results: Would you like to see an airborne mini-mod?
Yep 269 72.90%
Nup 100 27.10%
Voters: 369. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
WallyJas

Default [Mini-mod Proposal] Airborne Mini-Mod

Hi Guys, I have been away from PR for about a year now, but before that I was a very keen player and big supporter. I was actually part of setting up the first Aussie server with Darth over a year ago. I have been off to make my own mod of BF and now I am back playing PR ..... I must say that it's better than ever.

Anyway, I have been reading the posts from the last year and noticed (just like myself) there is a number of players that really enjoy using the choppers and would like to see them in more maps. This has prompted me to (with my new skills) think about creating a mini-mod of PR that focuses on airborne helicopter transport rather than ground based transport.

Just imagine a handful of maps such as Basrah, Fools Road and Kashan with Team 2 (British Forces) with only choppers and Team 1 (Ins and Mec) with only ground transport, a little bit more asymmetrical, than they currently are. This mod will be for players that love to fly their helicopters as well as those that love to ground pound with choppers in support.

Everything you know and love about PR will be there, the maps would be exactly the same as they are now, all that I am proposing is to change the vehicles that are available. The plan is to keep the download as small as possible by referencing as much content back to the PR files as possible. I am thinking it will be around the 50-80MB mark with about 4 maps in it ..... one of which would definately be the upcoming Muttrah v2.

So, I have 2 questions:

1 - Would the PR devs mind me creating this mini-mod?

2 - Is there enough of the community interesting in playing the mod to warrant creating it, are we going to fill servers?

Comments and feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wal

PS: I understand this is a predominantly British Forces mod, so I would like to see (and I am sure many other would too) the Lynx be used as the light transport chopper instead of the LB's. If the devs don't mind releasing the model, I am happy to finish it off so that I can include it in the mod.
WallyJas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

well ehhh tbh its kinda about what Muttrah City (v2) is more or less about, so you wouldnt probaly want to do any or very little changes to it when it comes. Thou I would be willing to provide you with Muttrah City (v1) to get your mini-mod going to gain some interest from users till MC2 comes out

Also you may be able to load the map client files from the normal pr like we do for the vbf2 maps in PR, so only would need server.zip to be included which would cut down on the size of your MM by alot, thou not 100% sure if that is possible from mod to mod apart from mod to vbf2... would have to look into it.

As for your questions and bare in mind these are not 100% offical dev responces but what they would most likly be.

1. I dont see us having any problems at all with it providing it requires the offical PR to be installed along side it.

2. This is the hard bit, if there was would divide are small community as it is up abit so not 100% sure if there will be, but probaly worth a shot.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Anything that provides a variation and challenge using PR as its base is a good thing.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #4
bahlye

I love the idea....and having been involved in your previous mm,I reckon you could make an excellent pr based chopper insertion mod...
Epecially with access to the PR vehicles ad skins..
Have been (slowly )working thru Rhino's modding/mapping tuts,I'd be happy to help in anyway my limited skills can.....

(ps..Wally.I'll see you in an hour for some PR goodness anyways.....server 1 gsa.....)
bahlye is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #5
nedlands1

I like the idea but not the format. Having it as a dedicated mod, IMO, would just piss-off people as to play regular maps they would have to join another server. The population would be split between servers playing regular PR and PR: Airborne Minimod and for a place with a small player population, it would kill it. Have it as a gamemode so you can switch between map versions (airbone/Regular AAS/etc) and still retain a centralised player-base.
nedlands1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:25 AM   #6
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

I agree with Rudd, anything that adds variety to PR is good. The stock PR maps are great, and good for hours of fun, but I would definitely be interested in this minimod.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
bahlye

Nedlands does raise a good point....a gamemode instead of a standlone mm would make it more "user freindly" and keep it in the public eye ,so to speak.
bahlye is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

cant this simply be done when you make the map? i mean just throw a bunch of helis on one side and the other side has something else. i dont know exactly how this is a "mini-mod"

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
charliegrs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 AM   #9
Threedroogs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegrs View Post
cant this simply be done when you make the map? i mean just throw a bunch of helis on one side and the other side has something else. i dont know exactly how this is a "mini-mod"
exactly...just make a map. i wouldnt play the mini mod cause PR is already awesome, but i would surely love to see more maps.

Ingame name: StrkTm Pygar

Eggyweggs...I would like to smash 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-E3xuQtqI
Threedroogs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #10
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahlye View Post
Nedlands does raise a good point....a gamemode instead of a standlone mm would make it more "user freindly" and keep it in the public eye ,so to speak.
well you could do it that way at the mo, clone the AAS game mode and just give a diffrent map layout for that game mode ye.

thou may get into issues with showing the server as green for users who dont have the mod and then when they connect they CTD, as also if the server has a normal map and this map in the list the user would CTD when it switched maps if he didnt have the mod.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
airborne, minimod, proposal