project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
26 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Mora

Exclamation Choppers Need a Radar

I know this has been discussed before but i think attack choppers need a radar. They don't need to get a lock on it or everything else just a marker that says its there. right now its really hard to see where the tanks are. especially on the new map Battle for Qinling where there are so many trees and bushes.. right now i think choppers are in a big disadvantage.

And i know the commander can set laser-markers on the map but how can the commander know where the tanks are.. and okey some inf can set a laser-marker too.. but they don't always know where the tanks are too..
right now choppers are more in battle with tank shells then shooting tanks.. And i also know that you have to fly careful but you can never see everything.. they already have a old missile system on it. so
why make it so damn hard to use the attack chopper?

place a replay with:

Yes they do need a radar.
or
I don't know.
or
No they don't need a radar.

and say why.

Mora out.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
*spacecadett*

dont think choppers need a radar, if your team is communicating like they should the tank, aav and other targets should be relayd from other SLs to CO and then to the chopper. i know communication aint allways the best but my advice is for you to frequent servers know for good teamwork.

in RL how many choppers do you see randomly flying about taking out designated targets

Old 01-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
Viper5

AFAIK most choppers do not have radar IRL, with one of teh few exceptions being the AH64D. Even then the US Army doesnt even use the radar on their D Models in Afghanistan.\ according to CNN
Old 01-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Jimmy_Smack

Yes, I do believe choppers should have a radar but not attack choppers. If transport choppers could have a very small perimeter radar to just scan CP's and areas of interest then that would be perfect. At the same time it would be balanced also. Because if the helicopters have to fly right above "hot" areas then they run the risk of getting shot at.

2010 +3
Old 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Fly with the map maximised and see through and you have lots of info of friendlies. In the gaps it is down to the gunner to spot enemies with his zoom and basically you need ground forces to recon.

I do think the pilot of the apache, etc should get use of a zoomed view, surely this is something they would have access to

Old 01-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Helos are there to support ground forces. If your infantry is communicating with your helos you're going to be good to go. I played some quinling today and both sides attack choppers were kicking some serious butt against both infantry and tanks.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Snowno

I think the littlebids should get a small UAV around themselves.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Spaz
Supporting Member

No your really don't need a radar to see tanks.

Get a good pilot (nickbond ) > hide behind a hill > get up check for target > kill targets > hide > run away > repeat

Worked so good for me and bond, we been killing so many tanks and apc's etc today MOHAHHA

Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #9
Mora

thats the problem.. there are very limited good pilots that know what or how to do it.
i think my idea is not that bad.. it only gives the tank position away but even if its behind something like a tree it doesn't show up, so tanks still have their cover. and of course the radar only has range of your visual to balance the gameplay. and only the gunner can see these targets so you need to give your pilot the coordinates.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mora View Post
thats the problem.. there are very limited good pilots that know what or how to do it.
Then when a good pilot gets in the seat he has a field day doing what he does best, and the bad pilots get shot down or crash eventually lose interest and do something else.

I flew in the Apache and the Z-10 for around 4 hours yesterday died 3 times ( twice to those damned AA missiles and once to a friendly jet crashing into me) these vehicles are not at a disadvantage, the hilly terrain of Qinling is an amazing playground for them.

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.

Tags
choppers, radar