project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
15 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Sgt_carbonero
Supporting Member
Default new comp advice

i know many of you are tired of answering this, but i need your awesomely collective brains to help me see if it will work for pr/crysis/cod4:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (does quad core work?)

680i mobo

vista home 64 bit (does 64 bit work?)

4 gigs ram

8800 gt

620 watt power

raptor drive

1920 x 1200 monitor

Please, not looking to brag, really need advice on compatibility/future-proofing as it has to last me a few years. any parts you think are way off base? could i get a dual core and move up to quad later? does that even make sense?

thanks

carb
Old 12-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
Teek
Supporting Member

Seems like overkill for everything cept crysis.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_carbonero View Post
i know many of you are tired of answering this, but i need your awesomely collective brains to help me see if it will work for pr/crysis/cod4:
I'm not tired, I enjoy doing it
You planned rig is almost just like the one I just built myself, and I am loving it. Runs everything pretty smooth, though I will be needing to upgrade the graf. card after the new year.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (does quad core work?)
It works fine for Crysis and running things in the backgroud during PR, like Ventrillo/Teamspeak and other programs. Make sure you get a GO stepping version. If you need help finding one, let me know, or read what people are saying in the comments on the sales page.
680i mobo
This chipset is over a year old now, and Nvidia's next chipset is supposed to be out any time now add will be much better. Are you looking at it for any certain reason? Like SLI support? If not you should look at the p35/x38 chipset instead. I spent a REALLY long time an choosing my mother board, so if you need help, just list some of the features you are wanting your board to have and a price range. I went with the ASUS P5K Deluxe Wi-Fi and am very happy. It got great reviews all around and tons of extras like external SATA connectors, wi-fi access point built in (so I don't have to buy a wireless router, etc.
vista home 64 bit (does 64 bit work?)
I am on Vista 64, and at time is has been harder to get a program I find interesting or have used in the past. Zonealarm is one example. As a matter of fact until 3 weeks ago there wasn't a free firewall that worked on 64 until Comodo released their new version. Logitech isn't very friendly either, and I am about to find out if Creative is because I am getting a soundcard at Christmas. If you are willing to take the time to look around on companies sites, FAQ's, and forums, you shouldn't have a problem. I am glad I went with 64, and it lets me run 4 gigs of ram like you are considering
4 gigs ram
Games released this year really want more than 2 gigs, espically with Vista running (vista take up between 750mb and 1.2 gigs just by itself sometimes, even when I turn off a lot of the extra services and processes running in the background.) I tried running my computer with just 2 gigs for the 1st month after I built it, and PR would go up very close to the 2 gigs full usage, and I was getting weird pauses and shudders. Lots of people on these and other forums suggested 4 gigs, and once I bought 2 more, things ran SO much smoother. PR runs with everything on high now with memory usage at about 2.3-2.5, and now I don't have to really worry about other programs or processes running in the background. With the price of DDR2 memory now, it really is an easy choice to make. If you need some suggestions on what to get, let me know.
8800 gt
That is a really good card, and it is pretty cheap. Thing is it is really in short supply right now, and stores have the prices inflated because of that. On top of that, Nvidia just released the new version of the 8800GTS last week. It is built using a smaller tech (so uses less power and runs cooler) and has 512mb of memory. It is only a few bucks more than the GT, and does better in the benchmarks. Review sites are actually confused why they priced the GTS and GT so closely, and say it is confusing people. I went with the GTS640, which at the time was a whole lot cheaper than the cheapest GTX, but now have found that with Crysis, it is really my limiting factor. I keep dianostic tools running in a 2nd monitor while gaming, and Crysis hardly uses my 6600quad and memory usage is at like 60%, so my GTS is the bottleneck, at least for crysis. It played the COD4 demo great, and PR is like a dream compared to the ATIX850pro I was using. (to be honest though, nothing out right now really plays Crysis that well, even the Ultra isn't all that great for $600+.) ATI's and Nivida's new highend is supposed to be out 1st quarter of next year, so I will be looking at options then.
The 8800GT or new GTS is the best bets if you need something before Christmas though. Here is a link to neweggs new GTS (the g92 core) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nd&Order=PRICE
Notice that one of them even comes with Crysis if you haven't bought it yet.

620 watt power
I spent a ton of time deciding this as well, considering you get what you pay for. Buy junk and no telling what it will do to your system. In the end I went with the Corsair LINK because of it being so highly recommended, reviews on tech sites, it has modular cabling, and tons of connections for whatever I upgrade to, and it has long wires so it fit in my case. If you want to list any certain features you are looking for, I can point out some others, but just about anything from OCZ, Corsair, Antec, Silverstove, PC power and cooling, seasonic, and a few others will be good. DON"T BUY A CRAPPY ONE, even if it says it has tons of power!!
raptor drive
Love my raptor, and bought a 500gig Seagate for like $85 to put everything on so I only have Vista, Crysis, and BF2/PR on the Raptor. Speeds things up even more. Lot of people will say though that it is not worth the money, or you could just do a RAID setup and get close to that speed, but I didn't want to mess with RAID, and I like loading Vista in like 30 seconds and being the 2-3rd one to load a new map between rounds. My old rig would load so slow, people were already playing and at flags by the time I loaded, and all the good squads with buddies I knew would be full up. I found my 79gig raptor on sale for like $110 at Bestbuy.com. Comes down to personal preference.

1920 x 1200 monitor
For this I guess you are thinking a 24" widescreen? Wow, they are SWEET , but the price isn't. I couldn't swallow $500 for a good one, so I went with a good 22" and am really happy. Paid $200 after rebate, and that left money for other toys on my new rig. If you have the money to spend, go for it, you'll love it. It makes me gag when I look over at the 15inch LCD I was using before. Remember though that BF2/PR doesn't really support widescreen, and you can look though this forum to find out how to kind of get it to work, but there are compromises. Also, forget running Crysis at that resolution. You will have to set it back to a lower one, and still probably run it on Med.

Please, not looking to brag, really need advice on compatibility/future-proofing as it has to last me a few years. any parts you think are way off base? could i get a dual core and move up to quad later? does that even make sense?
As far as this goes, you could go dual, but why with the price of the 6600quad. Also, I don't know when you are thinking of building this, but man if you can wait till Intel's new stuff is released in like mid January, you are going to much happier with the newer ones. All the reviews of their new chips are just mind blowing.
If you are considering a duel because of the higher clock speed, think about the fact that the 6600quad is so overclockable that you can have it running easily at 3.0 on air with no change in temp. and no danger of hurting your rig. My ASUS board has a program in Windows that lets me overclock, but doesn't bump turn it on unless the CPU gets busy, like in a game. It runs at actually 1.8 (stock is 2.4) until I start running things, then jumps up to 3.0. Saves on my power bill and ware and tear. Make sure you spend the $50 for a good aftermarket CPU cooler, because the Intel one SUCKS!!!! I spent a lot of time deciding on a cooler as well and if you need some ideas, let me know. Mine keeps the CPU so cool it hardly heats up between idle and load, and I'm not even using H2O cooling. Part of that is the Case I chose as well though. The Antec P182 is the most amazing case I have ever worked on (played with a lot of friends/coworkers rigs) and will never consider a different case again. Just saw last week that newegg had it for $109 after rebates. . I paid $140 at the time, but it was still so worth it.

thanks

carb
I do apoligize for the long post, but I just woke up when I started and just realized how much I have been writing. Anyway, if you have any other questions feel free to ask. My advice it to make out a real list or use newegg's Wishlist feature so you don't forget the small things. I forgot to order the thermal paste (artic silver 5) so it delayed me putting my computer together for 4 days, even though I had all the parts. Those were a tough 4 days.
I spent a good 6-7 months reading reviews and searching sites before deciding on parts, and have tons of bookmarks for every kind of part you could want, weather it is CPU coolers, memory, motherboards, etc. Also, if you need any guides on how to put it all together.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Sgt_carbonero
Supporting Member

Bamboo, you rock, thank you!

I saw your other post about ram and dicscovered clubit because of you, and the same ram was half the price than newegg!

I appreciate the input.

re: mobo, i was considering the 680i because it is so well loved and seems rock solid for performance and $$, although i realize its alreadu a year old (although that gives the bios time to get figured out). I would love to get a ddr3 board this jan, but not sure if they can handle ddr2 in case i would want to upgrade later? also, dont need wifi, since i am hardwired here. would like to stick to asus just cause i've had good experiences with them.

vista 64 bit home: does it matter if its ultimate or whatever? get i just get the basic version and upgrade later if i want? Get care more much for all the bells and whistles.

8800 gt-yeah, i saw that deal with crysis, its currently 6 weeks out with demand! that in and of itself can keep me waiting till mid jan. but i will do more research on the gts.

Power supply: I am considering the same one you mentioned because of one of your previous posts. My question is, is there an easy way to determine watt usage like how much on average is a hard drive or a fan or a dvd drive use? atm i have 4-5 drives in my current rig. Are there any freeware programjs that determine my psu usage?

Thanks again Bamboo!!!!!

carb
Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
<1sk>Headshot

I don't have a lot of time to read everything but Quad is pointless if you don't do a lot of multi-tasking or applications. For gaming dual core is just as good.

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."
Old 12-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #6
Bamboo

Headshot is correct, but only for now. I bought the quad cause I don't want to build a computer but every 3 years or so, and most games from here on out are going to be multi threaded. I like that when I am in Crysis, I see my 4 cores all being used, compared to some other games where one core is maxed out and the others just idle. You can pretty much bet that Battlefield 3 (and PR2 ) is going to be multi threaded. And as I said with the easy overclocking, why wouldn't you go for the quad at 3.0 instead of a duel at 3.0. With the overclocking, I am not joking that it is safe and easy to do a mild overclock like this, I would not do anything to hurt my baby!!
There are a lot of free online PSU calculators out there. One of the best I have used is THIS ONE
When I plug in my current setup at 80% load it says just over 400watts. When you consider that when things get going on a computer and a PSU heats up, it doesn't usually put out its full advertised power, though the better power supply you buy, the closer to the advertised power it will produce.
So, I figure if I put my rig up to near 100% while in a game, and have been playing for a while, those numbers might start getting pretty close, espically if I decide to get a 2nd graf. card and/or get a 2nd Raptor for RAID, and if I get that sound card.
Take anything you get from a caculator with a grain of salt though.
Newegg has a psu calculator for instance and it said I need a 637watt psu. Ouch.

As far as Vista, it is a tough choice, but I went with the Home Premium. The Ultra pretty much includes very small extras, like bit-encryption, the dream scene wallpaper option (just something else to steal resources and distract you), and other little extras, for $200 more. You can upgrade later, so I just went with the Home.

You are right about the 680i being very well liked and now a mature platform., but by the time you build the p35 will be at least 6 months old. My ASUS has already had 3 BIOS updates, and the have been reviews that talked about the ASUS bios and the sites were happy.
I really did consider DDR3, but holy crap I can't afford $400 for 2 gigs, and that is the cheap stuff.
Here's the good news though, the p35 runs DDR2 great, and you can get p35 boards that run both DDR2 and DDR3, so if you decided to upgrade later you could (won't run them at the same time though.) LINK
Notice though that so far it hasn't gotten the best buyer reviews.
In the end, I figure by the time DDR3 comes down to an affordable price in a couple of years, I will be ready to build a new rig anyway. I ended up getting some top end DDR2 memory that runs at 1066,(and wow, I paid $200 a kit, it is down to $114 now, ouch) which my motherboard runs natively (another reason I went with that board.) Asus does make a lot cheaper version of my board that still has most of the goodies and is only $139 Link to ASUS P5K-E/WIFI
It has also got a lot of good reviews. Crazy thing is, now that I look at the COMPARE
of my board and that one, the only difference is my board has 2 extra USB ports. Oh boy!
Anyway, just posting from what I have done and reviews I have read, if you have anymore questions, todays my day off so I am just hanging out.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Sgt_carbonero
Supporting Member

thanks bamboo, you rock, again.........

the extreme psu calac at 90% gives me 638 too... id better get the 800 watt psu...

wierd that the p35 is so cheap? shouldnt it be more expensive? dont see where it says you can run ddr3 but i'll take you word for it

how do you know if your memory runs natively? is it just because its the same brand or what? and i assume that means less probs/runs better/etc?

thanks,

carb
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #8
Sgt_carbonero
Supporting Member

go to the wish list herehttp://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...cWishLists.asp

and search for "carbonero" - i posted it but it hasn't shown up yet.

cheers,

carb
Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Bamboo

Yeah, it hasn't posted yet. Will keep checking though.
If you look at the board with the DDR2 and DDR3 product page, in the section on memory slots is says 4 slots for DDR2, and 2 slots for DDR3. There is actually a site (think it was anandtech.com, not sure) that did a review for the board and said it was an ok board, but nothing special. If you really are interested in it I will dig though my bookmarks (I have hundreds, organized by each piece of hardware).
There are actually lots of p35 chipset boards at the $100-$150 range. The x38, which came out in late Sept. is the high end version of the p35, and it's cheapest boards start in the $220 range and go up to close to $400 I think. But that does give you PCI express 2.0 support (won't matter for a few more years) and 2 full speed pci express slots in case you are interested in running 2 ATI cards in Crossfire.

About the memory, the 680i and p35 only officially support DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), but one of the bragging points in big letters on the front of the ASUS boxes (LINK) is their boards support the unofficial 1066 speed. Look in the bottom right of the picture link above. Both of the ASUS P5K boards we talked about have that on the box. It allows the epp of the memory to be read by the motherboard and automatically set the speed up to 1066. Other motherboards you will have to go into the BIOS first thing and mess with the setting to get it to run at it the memory's native 1066. I don't understand all the deep tech behind the epp stuff, just know it worked I didn't have to mess with setting when I first started things up.

Edit: I know we have been talking a lot about newegg, and I do love um and buy most of my stuff from them, but remember there are some times better deals out there. I just really like their customer service (have used it a few times and have been VERY happy, they really hooked me up when I know other stores would not have), wish list feature, and the customer reviews of products.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
<1sk>Headshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
Headshot is correct, but only for now.
There's only a handful of games even optimized to run on dual-core. It requires totally different engine. I doubt they will make many games that are quad-optimized for a pretty long time. However, we do know how fast time goes in the computer industry..

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

Tags
advice, comp