project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM   #1
nicoX
Supporting Member

Default Spotting limited

Before the discussion over at Should Project Reality remove the minimap? ends, probably never. How about making the spotting function limited? With the 0.7 patch were SF is a limited kit lets add spotting only for SF's and SL's. Or add something limited requested tool for spotting. It's pretty lame for a RL inspired game having infantry, crewmen, pilots (everybody) being able to spot enemies. Will there be advantages/disadvantages with the this function? Discuss.

nicoX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Teek
Supporting Member

How is it 'lame' for a gunt to see a Hostile and say so? that is spoting. It is simply carried up the Com-Nets. Grunt --> SL --> HQ --> Everyone else.

or do you mean Laser Designation?

Teek is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I think he means markings on the map.
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Harrod200

"TARGET FRONT, 200 METERS, RED BUILDING"

Every squaddie is trained to give Fire Control Orders and to point out the location of the enemy as clearly and concisely as possible. Since you can't exactly have everything in the game having an associated voice command the minimap is the best we have.

I would personally prefer the target location to be shown on the 3d map like mines, flags and SL orders, so an infantry icon and range shown on screen at the target's last known location.

404: Signature not found
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
pasfreak

maybe only spotting with binocs, and mayybe the scope?

*PAS*
"You can't expect to have the DEVS make everything idiot proof....(though that is an arguable point due to the generous number of said idiots that do play the game)."

"next time I catch you in the bushes outside my place, I'm skipping the 911 call and going straight to 1911."
-unknown youtuber
pasfreak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
nicoX
Supporting Member

I mean use the voip and coordinates instead. And no, no laser designation. No moving vehicles or men, mark it instead on the map and let it show up.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Harrod200

Coordinates mean nothing while playing unless you're in the map screen, and while most do, not everyone has VOIP or speaks the same language.

IMO a 3d map, fixed (not moving with the enemy) icon at their last position would work best. Since that's likely not gonna happen, I think it should stay as is.

404: Signature not found
Harrod200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
nicoX
Supporting Member

When you use the spotting function you do something automatic. You spot someone far away either it is a friendly (not spotted) or enemy. It shouldn't be that easy. First of all you need to use your binoculars to see him. Then the next step how are you gonna reveal his position (for this game). I find the spotting function basic, something from vanilla and a need to be changed. How there are many ideas of, and I'm sure all are better than what we use today.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I agree, the spotting exploit is pretty annoying.
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
Teek
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani View Post
When you use the spotting function you do something automatic. You spot someone far away either it is a friendly (not spotted) or enemy. It shouldn't be that easy.
why not, its just a easy IRL. you see some movement, you point, and state range. if its frendly then you communicate with the SL or HQ.
Quote:
First of all you need to use your binoculars to see him.
your saying you need binocs to see moment and tell your squad?

Quote:
Then the next step how are you gonna reveal his position (for this game). I find the spotting function basic, something from vanilla and a need to be changed. How there are many ideas of, and I'm sure all are better than what we use today.
I dont think the BF2 engine will support any other method without being buggy.

Teek is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
limited, spotting