project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Aug 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
phyte

Default Brainstorm: Ways to make players more fearful of dying.

It would be interesting to play with some ideas to create some sort of fear of death in players. The fear of dieing is completely absent in computer games, and as a result people play carelessly and ramboish when that would _never_ happen in the real world. I would love if realty mod developers and community members brainstormed on some ideas to 'Put the fear of death' into reality mod players. It would slow the game down and make it more realistic.

Another change to game play might be forcing teamplay somehow, by giving the squad lead ability to limit objectives to the one that he sets as the primary objective, or secondary third etc... So that only those objectives are possible, people not in squads could basically do nothing (like take flags/drive vehicles etc).

On to the Death thing, I had a few ideas:
1. Penalize with -n score when a soldier dies and respawns.
2. Increase the respawn timeout by a large increasing number after each time the player dies.
3. Disable respawn completely, so that a medic needs to attend to the injured soldier before they can continue (Might make for interesting scenarios where an injured soldier would have to be retrieved under fire). And penalize a team heavily if they totally forsake a downed soldier and do not provude medical aid. (If a player is completely blown to bits, then they respawn after a set ammount of time, at a far away base.)

I would love to see more of these types of aspects added to the mod. It would be cool if the mod became known for teamplayers, and elminated the lame rambo style single player fragfest.
phyte is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Suicide Commando

I think set missions rather than conquest flag capping is the key to getting people to work as a team. Take a look at AA, when you're on a good server everyone works to get the objectives done. Obviously there are morons who don't but that will always happen.

Anyway to the death thing, I agree a minus score is a good idea. Your 2nd point is interesting. I'll have a think for some ideas...
Suicide Commando is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
Cerberus

Longer respawn (45 seconds, maybe)

Louder sounds when bullets fly past.

"Practice proves more than theory, in any case."
- Abraham Lincoln

"i so regret searching "giant hentai penis" on google images though ;_;"
- Garabaldi
Cerberus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Suicide Commando

Blurred vision for a second or two when you get hit by a bullet, nobody can aim while being shot.
Suicide Commando is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

have the bleeding look happen alot sooner and narrow your vision even more? Or even a fading out from light to dark. I wonder if when you get hit your guy can scream "I been hit"

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
CodeRedFox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
GRB

Send a message via MSN to GRB

Score deductions are pointless in Mods because it is irrelavant. The ranking system does not function for the mod so points are pretty much, well, pointless. So no one will care if they get points deducted for dying...(I'm one of those people who would care less about points. Im all about teamwork and overall victory.)

I think it's pretty much impossible to devise a way to make players actually fear dying in a game without making it extremely annoying first..

What we can do is make dying very unwanted. Anything that you do though will get annoying quick. Then, people may not want to play the mod. Thats no good.

So I think the best thing to do would be to make players fear getting hit by increasing thier chances of dying when they get hit. There are many more ways to do this without making it too annoying.

For instance, increasing the dramatic effect when shot could be done by blurring of the vision for a second or two and adding in the black tunnel vision effect that slowly fades away shouldnt be too annoying.

The effect would have to be fairly fast but long enough to prove a problem. It would basically create a much more realistic offset too. Basically who ever gets hit first is usually the first person to die. Unless you can get cover and gather yourself.

Perfectly logical and will open up a lot of realistic gameplay.

Last edited by GRB; 12-01-2005 at 05:17 PM..
Old 12-01-2005, 05:20 PM   #7
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

I love the idea of more "EFFECT" the tunnel vision we have no is cool, BUt I think it could be more tunnel like. The opacity levels are a little low and the tunnle effect doesnt go that far. You can still see through the effect now. Maybe shrink it WAY down so its more like passing out.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
Gunfighter34ID

Good ideas. I like the ones about increasing the respawn time after each death. Making the effects of being hit more pronounced and putting someone who has been hit and a disadvantage is also a good idea and will probably help encourage people to use cover and fire and movement more.

Maybe you could limit the total number of respawns, say after 'x' number of respawns you can only be revived by a medic.
Gunfighter34ID is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
{GD}geogob

Send a message via ICQ to {GD}geogob Send a message via AIM to {GD}geogob Send a message via MSN to {GD}geogob Send a message via Yahoo to {GD}geogob

limited number of respawn / longer respawn delays could do that.

Limiting the number is probably a better choice as longer delay will only piss people off (been there). This is sad as longer respawns is a better solution game play wise. Perhaps a bit of both would do.

Disclaimer: As he was educated in the "Infiltration school of modding", be aware that this user is a realism freak. He cannot be held responsible for any emotional damage this might generate, although he apologizes for it in advance.
{GD}geogob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #10
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

But when you do limit, ppl may leave after they cant respawn.

Tags
brainstorm, dying, fearful, make, players, ways