project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
25 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
BetterDeadThanRed

Default Feedback for v0.7 aircraft

Since it is now known that v0.7 is going to really change the dynamics of the aircraft, I thought I would put my 2 cents in on the issue. Feel free to add your own.

Before I begin, I have logged quite a few hours flying in v0.6 and enjoyed it tremendously, but I believe there is still a lot of room for improvement yet. I will break my suggestions down into 4 categories for clarity:

1.) Immediately Needed Changes

2.) Tweaks (hard code alert)

3.) Realism Issues

4.) "Would be nice" suggestions

Immediately needed changes

1.) Air to air missiles need some serious improvement. I know this is a well known issue but it is currently a major problem. As of now, they are nothing short of useless unless your objective is to get accidental teamkills and I personally, have never scored a kill with them. The guns however, are nothing short of perfect.

2.) CAS aircraft currently fly too fast and are too maneuverable for their role. The A10 tends to dominate other aircraft and so does the Frogfoot to a lesser extent. The cannon should remain just as effective rewarding any fighter that makes the mistake of flying in a predictable pattern with a tailpipe full of 30mm DU rounds.

3.) When fully zoomed in, the AAV cannons kick like mules and are horribly inaccurate. While I can live with the inaccuracy, the recoil in addition makes it ridiculously hard to hit a stagnant target let alone something moving at 1800KPH. I've never to my knowledge even been winged by one of those things never mind shot down.

Tweaks

1.) Increase gravities effects on jets ie. decrease in speed when going vertical and drastic increase in speed when diving. (Hard coded?)

2.) Increase range of radar guided missiles. Decrease accuracy to nil at close range. (Minimum locking distance?)

3.) Increase range of heat seeking missiles. Currently far too short at the speeds jets now fly at.

Reasoning: Currently there is very little distinction between RGMs, HSMs and the cannon. RGMs should only work at long ranges, HSMs at medium ranges, and the cannon only at the shortest possible range creating 3 separate spheres and would force the pilot to learn to distinguish between the three to be successful.

4.) Increase spread of fighter mounted auto cannons as they are too much like lasers right now.

5.) Decrease initial acceleration of fighters to prevent them from flying out of the hanger and hopping over the barrier, thus forcing them to taxi onto the runway.

6.) Afterburners should cause a steady increase in speed and should not immediately bleed away when deactivated. Turns should become much wider as a result. Rumble when in use is imperceptible and should be much louder.

7.) Activating the rudder (A and D keys) should cause the tail to slide a little more than it does already to make dogfighting a little more complex. (hardcoded?)

8.) Remove rear cam from CAS aircraft and replace it with a 2/4x zoom. My reasoning for this is that the frogfoot is a "razorback" aircraft meaning the pilot cannot simply turn around and look behind him. The A-10 pilots can do this but for the sake of simplicity in balance I would leave it as a zoom function for both aircraft.

Realism Issues

1.) Both the F-16 and Mig-29 only carry 6 missiles rather than 8 so if I would be so bold as to suggest mounting two heat seeking missiles on the wing tips and 2 radar guided missiles under each wing. This would help to make air to air combat at longer ranges (thus more realistic) and use their secondary armaments only in last resort.
F-16 specs

Note how there are only 6 missiles mounted as opposed to 8.

2.) A-10 can break 1500KPH in a dive in game but its maximum speed is 700-750KPH in reality. I personally think the faster speed feels better, but I'm just throwing that out there.

3.) USMC does not use M6 Linebacker but rather the Avenger. Just pointing that out.

The Wish List

1.) Two seater aircraft are something many of us would be glad to see make a comeback. Since they are multi-role fighter/bombers, there are many different directions you could go with them.

The Su-30MKK would also be right at home with the MEC as an air dominance fighter assuming a new skin is placed on it besides the "china white." (MKK is actually a China specific export version, but I doubt anybody would be able to tell the difference between it and the regular Su-30MK export version, this includes EA.)

2.) Although I'm not sure of the work involved in modifying the loadout of aircraft, the fighters and especially the two seater jets would benefit from having different abilities rather than the same old vanilla loadout. The PoE team already proved that TV guided bombs are possible so really the sky is the limit here.

Cluster bombs anyone?

3.) I'm not sure how possible this is but as far as I know, aircraft cannons are not filled entirely with just one type of round but are a mixture of HE-I and AP rounds, at least for the fighters anyway. Like I said, I have no idea how feasible this is.

4.) Tornado, Eurofighter, and Harrier. Yep. I don't need to say anything else.

If you read all this, you deserve a cookie. I mean it.

And feel free to post your own. Depending upon this threads popularity I will update it as I go along.

LeMazing.
Last edited by BetterDeadThanRed; 08-14-2007 at 05:39 PM..
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
El_Vikingo

You're providing feed back for something thats not out yet? Have you been travelling in time again?

Cluster bombs is something the devs are already working on.

I think the afterburner shouldn't recharge.

EDIT; Oh and don't base the speeds on the speedometer ingame, they are dodgy.

If you are reading this dont stop, cause if you do, I'll kick you in the balls.
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

The in-game ASI is inaccurate. It does not represent the speed it's actually doing. Two seater jets are gradually being phased out of most modern air forces tbh, especially as avionics get more advanced.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
BetterDeadThanRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Vikingo View Post
You're providing feed back for something thats not out yet? Have you been travelling in time again?

Cluster bombs is something the devs are already working on.

I think the afterburner shouldn't recharge.

EDIT; Oh and don't base the speeds on the speedometer ingame, they are dodgy.
Ahhh quit nitpicking, the title is supposed to mean what I think should be done for the v0.7 release.

On your second point, that is very good to hear.

And I have no idea what the you mean by after burner recharging, I'm just saying that the volume should be increased and that the speed shouldn't be immediate but gradual increase and decline. Maybe I should work on my wording a little bit more.

And in regards to the edit, that is also good to know.

Edit: I'm also not sure what you mean eddie that 2 seater aircraft are being phased out. The Su-30, Su-34, F-15E, and Gr.4s are all going to remain in service for quite a while. I think you are refering to two seater fighters, not F/Bers.

LeMazing.
BetterDeadThanRed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Reddish Red

Cluster Bombs will be fun.

Now only if it had Carpet Bombing
Reddish Red is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
101 bassdrive
Banned

when those clusterbombs come I hope the commander or some other maybe designated person can take over the rolle of the tower, gets radar and is able to to warn squads to take cover from em.
101 bassdrive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 PM   #7
epoch
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddish Red View Post
Cluster Bombs will be fun.

Now only if it had Carpet Bombing
Does that mean those on the receiving end get carpet burns?

Ouch

[R-MOD]Cp: epoch if I wasn't dancing right now I'd shoot you.
epoch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
El_Vikingo

Or a full scale base rape.

AS for the After burner, the afterburner would last as long as the fuel would last, but using the after burner burns a huge amount of fuel, there lasting only minutes.

As for acceleration and decelartion, I'm sure the DEVs, as they said, are working on the aircraft, to provide a more realistic experience.

If you are reading this dont stop, cause if you do, I'll kick you in the balls.
El_Vikingo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:50 PM   #9
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoch View Post
Does that mean those on the receiving end get carpet burns?

Ouch
Ow! That was BAD!

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
BetterDeadThanRed

Hmm... surprised nobody has commented on the zoom for CAS aircraft. I thought that was a really innovative idea. I guess everyone is too preoccupied with the cluster bombs.

LeMazing.
BetterDeadThanRed is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
aircraft, feedback, v07