project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
Wasteland

Default LIST: Military books on the operational scale

I'd like to start a list thread of books dealing with military operations on the more micro-organizational scale. So not Clausewitz's On War or The Art of War. Instead either nonfiction stories by soldiers or tactical guidebooks by the same.

Please post in the following manner (including the bold text, to differentiate at a glance an entry from discussion), so that I or those with mod/dev privileges can easily compile the list:

Title (Author)
Short introduction

I'll start us off.

On War: Killing Time in Iraq (Colby Buzzell)
I'm midway through this book, and I'm enjoying it very much. It's well written, by a soldier in a Stryker battalion in Mosul, Iraq.

Generation Kill (Evan Wright)
Next on my to-read list, the parts I've skipped ahead through seem quite interesting. Written by a reporter attached to Marines in the initial push into Iraq, when it was a conventional war.

Guerrilla Warfare (Che Guevara)
Reads like a Field Manual for an insurgency. Important reading for anybody with an interest in modern military operations, as conventional versus guerrilla warfare is most likely going to define most future wars.

On Guerrilla Warfare (Mao Zedong)
Important for the same reasons as the above. Parts deal with more large-scale issues than what Che focuses on. It's also apparent that the Communists in China didn't have quite as much popular support as Fidel's forces in Cuba, evidenced by Mao's focus on propaganda.

Dslyecxi's Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures Guide for Shack Tactical & ArmA (Dslyecxi)
http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html
In addition to having very good information on all kinds of tactical shooter operations, this guide links to 14 useful military Field Manuals.

Homage to Catalonia (George Orwell)
A memoir of Orwell's time fighting with the Anarchists in the Spanish War, against the Fascists. Only a little bit of conflict, but still a damn good book. It's been one of my favorites for some time now.

from causticbeat:
One Bullet Away (Nathanial Flick)
is EXACTLY what you are looking for and I HIGHLY recommend it

from DirtyHairy88:
The Mammoth Book of Special Ops: The 40 Most Dangerous Special Operations of Modern Times (Richard Russell Lawrence)
"is good"

from Teek:
Into the Storm - On the Ground in Iraq (with Fred Franks)
Gen. Franks account of his experience commanding 13th Corp during desert Storm. Including the famous Battle Of 73 Easting. Overview of the force, the units, interview with unit leaders, ect.

from HABO3:
All American All the Way (Paul Nordyke)
The complete combat history of the 82nd Airborne Division from Sicily to the end of WWII. Only the first 2 chapters cover the creation and early training of the unit, the rest is 700+ pages of combat. Insane.

The Final Crucible: Us Marines in Korea, 1953 (Lee Ballenger)
Describes outpost fighting between Marines and Chinese forces. The CCF used Soviet style mass infantry charges that resulted in very close, very bloody fighting in the outpost trenches. This book is volume 2 actually but I haven't been able to get the first volume, The Outpost War, yet.

Ripcord: Screaming Eagles Under Siege, Vietnam 1970 (Keith W. Nolan)
The last large battle of the Vietnam War that took place at Fire Support Base Ripcord, involving a division of NVA regulars against 3d Brigade, 101st Airborne Division. Very thoroughly researched, the author has written a whole lot more books on Vietnam also, I will read all of them before I die.

Ambush Alley (Tim Pritchard)
Marines from Task Force Tarawa maneuver to secure two key bridges in the town of Nasiriyah, degenerated into a nightmarish twenty-four-hour urban clash. It was the single heaviest loss suffered by the U.S. military during the initial combat phase of the Iraq war. Very good descriptions on how armored columns move to attack through urban areas, how difficult communications can be when everything is going haywire and how air combat controllers direct aircraft to engage the enemy.

We Were One: Shoulder to Shoulder With the Marines Who Took Fallujah (Patrick K. O'Donnell)
Really crazy, the author volunteered to go to Iraq to become one of the first historians to accompany American troops into combat. He got himself placed with 1st Platoon, Lima Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment. The book is house-to-house, urban warfare against insurgents holding the city of Fallujah during Operation Phantom Fury. When you read this book you will understand how shitty CQB is, it ain't all stack up, frag out, room entry, double tap headshots, "clear!" like the video games.

Thunder Run: The Armored Strike to Capture Baghdad (David Zucchino)
Chronicles the armored assaults on Baghdad by the 2nd Brigade of the 3rd Infantry Division. Another good one to read on how armor is employed on the modern battlefield.

Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944 (Bill Sloan)
Excellent account of the Battle of Peleliu.

Originally Posted by: ArmedDrunk&Angry
we don't live in your fantastical world where you are the super hero sent to release us all from the bondage of ignorance
Originally Posted by: [R-MOD]dunehunter
don't mess with wasteland, a scary guy will drag you into an alleyway and rape you with a baseballbat
Last edited by Wasteland; 06-26-2007 at 07:54 PM..
Old 06-24-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
The_motivator

generation kill is pretty good.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic5743_1.gif
The_motivator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
trogdor1289

Send a message via MSN to trogdor1289

I have to get some of this books. Also the_motaviotor where is the second quote in your sig from?
trogdor1289 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Wasteland

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]trogdor1289
I have to get some of this books. Also the_motaviotor where is the second quote in your sig from?
Kingdom of Heaven

Now let's get some suggestions!

we don't live in your fantastical world where you are the super hero sent to release us all from the bondage of ignorance
don't mess with wasteland, a scary guy will drag you into an alleyway and rape you with a baseballbat
Wasteland is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
ReaperMAC

Send a message via AIM to ReaperMAC Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperMAC

Generation Kill is awesome, but not written by a Marine. Evan Wright is a reporter who got a chance to tag-along with the First Recon Battalion as they spear-headed the Iraqi Invasion.

PR Test Team: Serious Business
[R-DEV]dbzao: My head Rhino.... (long pause) My beautiful head
[R-DEV]Rhino - If you want to spam do it in the tester area please.
Control the Media, Control the Mind.
ReaperMAC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Randleman5102

They have a book that is written by Finch, who if you remember that reporter talked about him. He was one of the marines. Now if only i remembered the name of that book...

You Are Now Breathing Manually...
Randleman5102 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #7
ReaperMAC

Send a message via AIM to ReaperMAC Send a message via Skype™ to ReaperMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randleman5102
They have a book that is written by Finch, who if you remember that reporter talked about him. He was one of the marines. Now if only i remembered the name of that book...
You mean Lt. Nathaniel Fick? Yeah, the book he wrote was: One Bullet Away: The Making of a Marine Officer. Havent read it though.

Oh and I hear that Generation Kill is going to be made into a mini series on HBO. Similar to the Band of Brothers.

PR Test Team: Serious Business
[R-DEV]dbzao: My head Rhino.... (long pause) My beautiful head
[R-DEV]Rhino - If you want to spam do it in the tester area please.
Control the Media, Control the Mind.
ReaperMAC is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
Wasteland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMAC
Generation Kill is awesome, but not written by a Marine. Evan Wright is a reporter who got a chance to tag-along with the First Recon Battalion as they spear-headed the Iraqi Invasion.
Thanks for the correction.

Seriously though, nobody has any suggestions? Damn. You guys are an illiterate bunch, eh?

Wasteland is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #9
DirtyHarry88

The Mammoth Book of Special Ops is good.

The IED Master
DirtyHarry88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
causticbeat

ONE BULLET AWAY - NATHANIAL FLICK

is EXACTLY what you are looking for and I HIGHLY reccomend it

causticbeat is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
books, list, military, operational, scale