project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
20 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
Smash-Crunch
Default Seat switching delay, and tank damage.

Problems:

1. There is no delay when switching seats inside a vehicle, allowing a single person to utilize a tank/apc nearly as well as two people. I'm not talking about switching from the driver to the gunner. A single person in a tank can switch from the gunner to the driver, and be on his/her way without delay.

2. A common tactic for tanks, is to drive right next to a target, and launch a shell at it. Or shoot a wall right next to it so the explosion kills enemy troops around it. You would think this explosion would do some damage to the tank, but it doesn't.

Possible Solutions:

1. Add a delay when switching seats.

2. a) Positional damage to the tank barrel.
b) Damage to the tank from it's own rounds.
c) Shell shock for the tank inhabitants.
Smash-Crunch is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
Darkpowder

i'm liking this idea, I hunt single player tank drivers with a sick satisfaction at the moment

APC passengers clearly shouldn't have any delay in moving around in there, but only when transitioning to gunner or driver. APC role as squad support now is, i think top class. Now all we need is to stop people driving them like battering-rams into enemy CPs

Last edited by Darkpowder; 03-13-2007 at 08:21 PM..
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #3
BetterDeadThanRed

Agreed on the tank switch delay, but APCs are more squad based tools if you ask me. I'm assuming people are going to dissagree but it's always good to have a squad with an APC when you can and sparing more than one man from the squad to crew it isn't a good idea.

LeMazing.
BetterDeadThanRed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

there is already a delay to use the weapons when switching seats or changing weapon (ammo types).

there is already splash damage from tank munitions that is a very large radius, tho this might need tweaking.

Cheers!
egg

eggman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
Wolfe

A simple solution is to add a "start up" delay for any driver position, similar to jets. I would be surprised if this were not implemented in the next patch.

On another note, I wish that gunner positions could remember the last round type config. In other words, if I load a heat round then exit the tank, the heat round should still be in the breech when I re-enter instead of defaulting back to a sabot).
Wolfe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Sneak Attack

Send a message via MSN to Sneak Attack

1 man tanking is the way to go, i shoot what i want.

dont touch splash, it is good as is, and im not a big tanker

no self damage from tank, thats just bad idea

Sneak Attack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

I think the current system is fine, there is quite a delay for fireing the main cannon after switching, it dosn't need to be any longer.
I've noticed splash damage from HEAT rounds on my tank before.
Tanks are pretty heavily armoured, even the early cold war variants.
I agree that a HEAT round, HESH round, HEAP round ect. being detonated close by could cause some minor damage, but lets stress the "minor" part.
These shells really only pose a serious threat when comming in direct contact with armour plateing. The only places I would consider increasing the damage is if a tank were to fire an explosive round at a close object to its engine compartment, high velocity shrapnel, and debris could have a chance of penetrating the rear plateing.
The explosion can be upwards of 8000 feet per second, but this is when passing through solid material ie. steel, as HEAT rounds are a shaped charge, so if the explosive force is passing through the air, you cannot expect the same dramatic results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneak Attack
1 man tanking is the way to go, i shoot what i want.

dont touch splash, it is good as is, and im not a big tanker

no self damage from tank, thats just bad idea
Sometimes I do go this route, lone tanking can be quite the experience, and I have takin down many a aircraft ect with one tank. Don't get me wrong, haveing a good driver or gunner/loader is nothing short of awesome, but lets face it thats half rare.
Last edited by TristanYockell; 03-13-2007 at 08:37 PM..
Old 03-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
General_J0k3r
Send a message via ICQ to General_J0k3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanYockell
Sometimes I do go this route, lone tanking can be quite the experience, and I have takin down many a aircraft ect with one tank. Don't get me wrong, haveing a good driver or gunner/loader is nothing short of awesome, but lets face it thats half rare.
this might change with the new scoring system *hope*
General_J0k3r is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
TristanYockell
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_J0k3r
this might change with the new scoring system *hope*
Wha does that have to do with scoreing, I just stated I'm good at shooting down aircraft with tanks.
TristanYockell is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Skinwehr

Here's a question that I can't for the life of me remember the answer to: Can you even get from the driver's position into the turret in an M1 series tank? Is it possible to duck down under the hull and access the driver's seat Irl?

I know everyone in the turret can crawl from one place to another, but I can't remember if the driver can. It's been many many years since I got to play around tanks.

If it's impossible IRL, then there should be no such option in the game. You should have to exit the tank and re-enter the vehicle through the appropriate hatch.

That is, of course, only if the game engine allows and that is how a real tank is situated. I simply cannot remember.

"A true warrior fights not because he hates what is in front of him; A true warrior fights because he loves what is behind him" -Saga
Skinwehr is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, delay, seat, switching, tank