project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
27 May 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
Uoy Dellik
Lightbulb Increase in view distance

I've been playing Project Reality for quite some time now, and have been checking the forums quite regularly too. To be honest, I am quite impressed with this mod, which resurrected my passion for BF2 once again.

Anyway, onto my suggestion: Why not have permanent increase in view distance.

I've read from bits and peices of other posts which seems to suggest that view distance can be set as a mappers option while he makes his map. With an increase in view distance, problems, like the speed of the black-hawk, and too short of view distance for any effectice close air-support (including Attack Choppers and Planes) would be eliminated.
So, make it a standard on every map, to have a 1000m view distance at all times.
I know some may complain do to the fact they have lower end hardware. Well, as i see it, you should be able to your view distance, in the options, to proper setting for you ingame.
Example: If your computer can only handle the view distance for up to 400m, then adjust your settings to have a 40% view distance.

If this is ineffective, you could set all maps view distance to be like 100-200% what it is now, just for a simple increase in view for players who want it.
Example: Mao Valleys View Distance Normal 200m (just an example) set it to 500m as a mapper so for all players who want the normal view of a map would set thier settings to 40% On maps like Al-Basrah, set it to a 1000m because if the standard of the map was 400m, it would also be 40% So at 40% view distance, would be the standard for the map, (for low-end users) and others could adjust thier view from there.

Many may also complain of the "unfair" advantage the comes with the increase in view distance. But what unfair advantage is their really? If your view distance is set at 40%, or 400m, not too many things will be picking you off from a range beyond your site distance. Only "realistic" long range shooters will be able to pick you off from that range. As I see it only two things... a sniper, and if they pick you off from a range of 400m they deserve props, or you were standing still for waaaay too long, because trying to shoot 250m in this game already is quite hard. The other would be flying vehicles, and they should be moving too fast with lack of increase in view too see anything besides vehicles.

So to sum it up I will give the plusses and minuses to my increase in view distance.

Pro's:
-Effective utilization of all aircraft from long range distances
-the ability for infantry to track and avoid aircraft
-more realistic and effective sniping
-More realistic in general
-adjustment for player's own hardware so he can handle the view distance
-players with higher end hardware can benifit and utilize their hardware to handle tasks not simply able to be handled by all players (like flying)

Con's:
-This may serve be impossible to be supported by a large player base in game.
-Maps that are designed for shorter view distances because of the increase in terrain objects may cause the game to lag. (although as a side note, you may just want to decrease the view distance to 500m so 40% would be a 200m view distance, much more easily to handle the view of that map [possibly maps like Mao valley] and handle the view of larger maps supposted to be set at 400m [like Al Basrah])
-Would have to increase and possibly create new models and texture at a long distance. (i know as of right now ground vehicles disappear at long ranges, probably not nescessary for infantry [for balancing issues as well])

P.S. This is very much possible just watch this video.
http://www.bf2-idiot.de/videos/4_voo...nd_the_fog.wmv

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by Uoy Dellik; 02-12-2007 at 06:33 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

I'm sure everyone wants a greater view distance. The thing is, however, the longer the view distance the more lag occurs. Having low end computers drop their view distance in setting will unbalance the game in a HUGE way. If I had a low end computer and downed my setting like that I would probably quit the game after getting shot by an unseen enemy one time too many.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #3
Clypp

Send a message via AIM to Clypp Send a message via MSN to Clypp

I just viewed the video and...damn! I'm now a little for the idea although my original point still stands. This will really open up the battlefield and slow the action. If only there was a way to make this run well on everyone's PC.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #4
WNxKenwayy

Because I'd be sitting on the crane in gulf of oman picking off n00btards on the carrier. Or hitting insurgents at north vcp with my m95 from the airport.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
mattcrwi
Send a message via AIM to mattcrwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxKenwayy
Because I'd be sitting on the crane in gulf of oman picking off n00btards on the carrier. Or hitting insurgents at north vcp with my m95 from the airport.
thats a minor issue, the spread and bullet drop would make it not as easy as it looks. The bigger issue is alienating 50% of your player base with machines that cant handle that. If I have to play with a smaller view distance I would quit, its that much of an advantage to the other player. (I have a 9800 and would be alienated :-p)

Old 02-12-2007, 12:47 AM   #6
eggman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Our current goals around this aspect of the game are 4km maps with 800m view distance.

There's a lot of issues there.. once you get above 500m or so things start to get wiggy.. we're gonna see if we can sort it out.

Completely agree tho. Won't work for urban maps due to statics and such.. but we certainly would like to create some large maps with very long view distances.

Cheers!
egg

Old 02-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #7
FuNkyWaVos

my computer would crap its pants

Ingame name: Cobine[22ndMEU]
Old 02-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #8
Surround

Send a message via Skype™ to Surround

Just watching that video makes me cry.

I hate that f fog in game now. I that that map with oasis and canyon flag the dust storm looks good. But maps like Karkand it's jsut retarded to not see over 75m. Or maps like gulf of oman and many else. I have always hated fog in games. And thats the only thing what i hate in PR. If there is somereason why i'd quit playing pr, it would be that.

I really hope that you make work that map with 800m view distance. Good luck with that.

Tomorrow I can play 0.5 too \0/ w00t. I just moved to new house and im getting internet tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #9
DJJ-Terror

we all would like a large wiev distance in PR/BF2, but todays hardware can't handle it.
We got to live with that.

Who want to get things done will find a way and who dosen't will find an excuse.

klan DOJAJA
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 AM   #10
Desertfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
Our current goals around this aspect of the game are 4km maps with 800m view distance.

There's a lot of issues there.. once you get above 500m or so things start to get wiggy.. we're gonna see if we can sort it out.

Completely agree tho. Won't work for urban maps due to statics and such.. but we certainly would like to create some large maps with very long view distances.
The good old hey whats that big ass white spot beneath that tree!

Tags
distance, increase, view