project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
DogACTUAL
Default new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

What is your experience with the new 80mm FRAG launched from tank and IFV?
Is it actually useful? I got to say when i first saw it in the changelog i actually thought it would launch multiple FRAG grenades in different directions like the real thing does. Acting as some sort of AP clearance device to get rid of infantry that is very close.

As of right now imo it is quite useless because it only lauches a single grenade to the front of the turret, so the gunner might as well just use the coaxial machine gun as it is much more reliable and faster.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
What is your experience with the new 80mm FRAG launched from tank and IFV?
Is it actually useful? I got to say when i first saw it in the changelog i actually thought it would launch multiple FRAG grenades in different directions like the real thing does. Acting as some sort of AP clearance device to get rid of infantry that is very close.

As of right now imo it is quite useless because it only lauches a single grenade to the front of the turret, so the gunner might as well just use the coaxial machine gun as it is much more reliable and faster.
At its current state its not useful in the least. Neither is it realistic.

If it was as the video shows, then we could talk

viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:47 PM   #3
QuickLoad
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

yes, mini-airburst grenades would make it much more useful.
infact it's current state made airburst would make it much more useful.

the fact is it's just ANOTHER secondary.
if the tank runs out of anti-infantry rounds, they will use co-ax.

I ordered my gunner to "hittem with the coax" and instead he used 80mm frag.
the only situation I see the 80mm frag being useful is very very situational, but here it is:

reloading anti-infantry rounds,
coax overheated/is out of ammo.

or:

reloading anti-infantry rounds,
enemy is hiding in difilade around a corner.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
[R-CON]TBob
PR:BF2 Contributor

[R-CON]TBob's Avatar
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

So far I've used it to destroy a crate to save ammo, and I almost hit an enemy with it while my turret was jammed.

Currently the practical use is just about nil, the damage is very anemic - it has the same explosive properties as a single Mk 19 round while the GALIX frag weighs 5x as much! Also the lack of airburst combined with the inability to adjust range is pretty lame.

Realistic operation is the commander selects how many grenades to fire, and then each grenade contains two explosive charges that that are supposed to cover the area from 5 meters away from the vechile out to 50 or 60 meters.

I would propose making it an airburst charge at 25-30m with esplosive damage similar to the SPG-9 HE-Frag (24m radius, 200 damage) and giving only a single shot.
[R-CON]TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #5
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
I would propose making it an airburst charge at 25-30m with esplosive damage similar to the SPG-9 HE-Frag (24m radius, 200 damage) and giving only a single shot.
It should just be several of them fired at once, to cover the area very close to the tank. And yes, the frags need actual frag round properties, not a lame 40mm explosion radius.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
[R-CON]TBob
PR:BF2 Contributor

[R-CON]TBob's Avatar
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
It should just be several of them fired at once, to cover the area very close to the tank. And yes, the frags need actual frag round properties, not a lame 40mm explosion radius.
Given the ability to select the number of grenades fired beforehand I don't think its unrealistic to only fire one, its mainly just a balance consideration.
[R-CON]TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:36 AM   #7
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
Given the ability to select the number of grenades fired beforehand I don't think its unrealistic to only fire one, its mainly just a balance consideration.
Yeah its not unrealistic. But I believe the best way to have it ingame would be with several grenades firing at once to clear the area near the tank. The one grenade at a time solution is a bit silly, unless you could control the range and the splash would be much larger.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
DogACTUAL
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

Agreed. And the splash should be somewhat the same as that of an 81mm mortar shell considering they are around the same caliber.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
X-Alt
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

make it 900RPM
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
Default Re: new tank 80mm FRAG-is it acually useful?

make it 7.62
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is online now Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
80mm, acually, fragis, tank
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin. ©vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All Content Copyright ©2004 - 2018, Project Reality