project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Attack helis physics, flares and missiles

The current turn rate makes you unable to hit targets in smaller view distance maps that are within your angle constraint.

https://youtu.be/3M_vPQ0pjxE?t=2m36s
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
RobyVan
Default re: Attack helis physics, flares and missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
The current turn rate makes you unable to hit targets in smaller view distance maps that are within your angle constraint.

https://youtu.be/3M_vPQ0pjxE?t=2m36s

Poor chickens
RobyVan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
viirusiiseli
Banned

At the edge of the viewdistance and missile can't even turn to the tank.

viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Those missiles seem to turn just fine towards tank. First one might have hit a building before and second you look away, no idea where it hit but trail points towards tank.
Maybe could increase yaw rates, pitch is fine.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
Those missiles seem to turn just fine towards tank. First one might have hit a building before and second you look away, no idea where it hit but trail points towards tank
No they obviously dont, or they would've hit. The first one was a miss, yes, turning isn't to be blamed on that but the next ones I had my aim right on the tank and it doesn't track all the way. You can see the arch of the missile turning is like 500m for around 60 degrees.

Look at 0:10, the missile hits left and above the tank by 20-50m because it takes the missile forever to turn.

Compare to pre-1.39 like how it should be and how it actually worked in lower VD maps. And if the missiles have such trouble turning to the edge of the gun angle in Beirut, imagine how it is in shijia valley?

It's a game for the love of god, engaging/view distance can be really low and the missiles should turn so that you can actually hit stuff. It's either that or the maps need huge viewdistance and we all know thats not possible FPS wise.

Youtube vid
Last edited by viirusiiseli; 02-04-2016 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Rabbit

Stop being a UAV.

Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I do think missiles could use a bit more pitch and yaw, especially since you need a direct hit to kill a target and these missiles are very agile in r/l to be able to do just that.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #8
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Stop being a UAV.
I sexually identify as a UAV and there is literally nothing you can do about it.

And yeah, you do need direct hits and there is barely any splash for infantry either. All were talking about is having agile missiles just so a gunner can hit what he can see.

Edit: Nearly forgot, any idea on why the attack heli missiles seem to lose their ability to turn at longer ranges? Like you can make it turn normally up to 500-800m, after that it starts to turn really sluggish?
Last edited by viirusiiseli; 02-04-2016 at 08:37 PM..
Old 02-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #9
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

The second one might have been shot too far to the side. There is an issue with the missiles that no turn rate can fix. If the target is behind the projectile as it leaves the weapon, it cannot see it and thus cannot target on it. The only real way to solve it that i know of would be to have projectiles spawn facing the target. That would look quite stupid tho as the missile would launch in a 90? angle from the chopper.

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
[R-DEV]Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
The second one might have been shot too far to the side. There is an issue with the missiles that no turn rate can fix. If the target is behind the projectile as it leaves the weapon, it cannot see it and thus cannot target on it. The only real way to solve it that i know of would be to have projectiles spawn facing the target. That would look quite stupid tho as the missile would launch in a 90? angle from the chopper.

Ehh... Gonna rant a little bit first. This always happens. A change is made, said change doesn't work. Go complain on forums, get told it cannot be fixed/thats just how it is. When it worked before.

The second one in my video was actually not in the angle that the missile just goes straight. When I zoom out you can clearly see the arched trail of the missile, it didn't go straight. Just did not turn in time, which is why the tank wasn't hit.

Yes, the missiles would fire straight but that was only when you were firing at the very far side of your angle, that's fine. No problem, you just turn and engage. Video below shows that. Thats not the problem.

That is understandable, it's a game limitation and so what. The real problem is, that when you engage to your far side where the missile doesn't go straight forward due to losing angle, the missile itself does not turn fast enough for it to hit the target. It rather does the arc you can see in my video. The missile just needs to be as agile as it was in 0.98 and there wont be such a problem.

Here you can see it. This is 0.98 missiles and TBH, that's how it should be.

Last edited by viirusiiseli; 02-05-2016 at 12:16 PM..

Tags
attack, flares, heli, helis, missile, missiles, physics, rate, turn