project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
20 Jan 2021, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 2015-07-23, 13:53   #1
Hadi
Default Playing PR as a blind/visually impaired user

Hi guys

I have been listening to many youtube videos featuring Project reality. It's a cool game with very great audio enhancements. The fact that people interact with each other over radio is amazing, I've spent hours listening to people discussing/debating over tactics and guns blazing in intensive battles.
I've lost eye sight when i was a child sadly. I can work with computers and stuff with Screen reading software, but i can't play games too much. I'm a hard fan of movies like Saving Private Ryan, Fury, Platoon, Black Hawk Down, Lone Survivor and other awesome war-genre movies/series.
I was going to give Project Reality a shot, download the game and try and see if I could log in and listen to some ongoing online radio chatter/battles. I am not sure how restrictive online servers are, and If I'd be allowed to do that.

Cheers
Hadi
Hadi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 15:46   #2
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke
Default Re: Playing PR as a blind/visually impaired user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadi View Post
I was going to give Project Reality a shot, download the game and try and see if I could log in and listen to some ongoing online radio chatter/battles. I am not sure how restrictive online servers are, and If I'd be allowed to do that.

Cheers
Hadi
I'm not sure how fulfilling that would be. To hear decent radio chatter, you would have to be in a very teamwork-oriented squad. I don't imagine there will be a lot of squad leaders willing to have a slot taken by someone that wasn't in the field.

I think the perfect role for you would be the Commander. Coordinating with the 9 squad leaders to get the team to accomplish objectives would be your best bet to enjoy PR I think.

(Mind you, I'm not sure how much you can see exactly.)

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-23, 18:36   #3
[R-DEV]​camo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I think it depends on how visually impaired you are.
PR isn't as shooting intensive as other shooter games are, you can get away with never firing your gun some games. So if you struggle to see enemies it would probably be ok, there are 7 other guys in your squad they can make up the difference and keep your squad alive.

A few weeks ago just for a bit of fun (someone spawned me a camera kit) I impersonated a reporter and just attatched myself to a squad and simply tagged along. My Ross Kemp impression is terrible but I had fun.

Lastly I agree with you on the communication aspect of pr, it really is a very social game. Rarely do you get a mute squad. So I think its definitely worth trying out the game just for that aspect alone.

camo is online now Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 11:25   #4
Hadi

Hi guys
Thanks for the replys.
@DesmoLocke do people have to become a member of a squad in a game round? If that is the case, You're right, squad leaders want people who are active on the field. I just googled the commander on project reality and besides communicating, They also apparently are responsible for area attacks and marking the map for other squad. That would be an exciting thing to do, though I think I wouldn't be able to see the markers on the map.
As for how i can see, My sight is kind of low to uselessness. I just installed the game, and I have difficulties selecting a spawn point on the map. I wish there was a command/keyboard navigation on that screen.
Old 2015-07-24, 20:21   #5
DesmoLocke
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to DesmoLocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadi View Post
@DesmoLocke do people have to become a member of a squad in a game round? If that is the case, You're right, squad leaders want people who are active on the field.
Yes. It is highly encouraged and mandatory on most servers and strictly enforced at times. I hope you can find a way to enjoy PR. It's a great game.

PR player since 0.5 (Feb 2007)
DesmoLocke is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 22:15   #6
Cassius
Supporting Member

You could be a medic. You have to walk towards ppl calling out anyway seen as most medics have an easier time finding the right body by voice. Get a buddy to set it up for you. If you see me hear me WE just join the squad I am in and we'll get u goin. You should definetly join a squad. If people talk in local some you can follow their voice while they move.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Cassius is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 22:38   #7
KillJoy[Fr]

Hes not going to miss your post i guess.

Au dela du possible ...
KillJoy[Fr] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-25, 00:47   #8
Careless

Sorry, but I had to laugh at Cassius' comment.

I think you just should try it out. Perhaps ask someone from PRTA-forums to get you started on a training server. See how it goes.

Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-25, 10:15   #9
Mj Pain
Supporting Member

I?m thinking Scenerio Events.
With OP as "Downed Pilot", "Hostage", "VIP".
Could be interesting

Mj Pain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-25, 10:16   #10
Hadi

Well LOL, That is indeed funny, Finding your way around by people yelling at you. But It's actually practical I think, thanks Cassius! I have a very good hearing senses and I pay a lot of attention to directional sounds. I guess I will give this a shot After I figure out a way to use the spawn menu. The game menu is simple and fine, I can work it out with my Screen reading software, but the spawn menu is too complex.

Tags
blind or visually, impaired, playing, user