project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
19 Jun 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Rymosrac

Default How to run PR at a LAN party.

I've recently been struck with the probably retarded idea of attempting to run PR with a local LAN group. I say retarded because said group usually only has around 12-14 players every month when they meet.

With that kind of playercount, you could certainly play skirmish maps, but I feel like there's better games out there for that scale of vehicle-less combat.

I was wondering what people thought of running a game with that many players on the full-sized insurgency maps. My thought was that as long as blufor had a known cache location and was communicating effectively, they'd almost always be able to manage transport due to the surplus of available vehicles, and the INS team wouldn't need to travel very far for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?
Am I insane?
Rymosrac is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Orford

Default Re: How to run PR at a LAN party.

We used to do things like this on clan practise. If only a few turned up. Both sides build a hidout/FOB. Ins give location of Cache to within 2 grid squares. Do attack and defend run trough's for a set time or until the cache is destroyed.

Or set up and defended a mortar pit and do attack defend, basically try and recreate a situation you would find in a 50 v 50 online game. That would normally only include 10-16 players. Flag defence, house defence, office block clearing. Fob attack. CAS avoiding AA with possible counter attack from CAS on AA vehicles.

Go do it!
Orford is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
Cossack
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymosrac View Post
I've recently been struck with the probably retarded idea of attempting to run PR with a local LAN group. I say retarded because said group usually only has around 12-14 players every month when they meet.

With that kind of playercount, you could certainly play skirmish maps, but I feel like there's better games out there for that scale of vehicle-less combat.

I was wondering what people thought of running a game with that many players on the full-sized insurgency maps. My thought was that as long as blufor had a known cache location and was communicating effectively, they'd almost always be able to manage transport due to the surplus of available vehicles, and the INS team wouldn't need to travel very far for obvious reasons.

Thoughts?
Am I insane?
Organize bigger LAN party

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
Rymosrac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cossack112 View Post
Organize bigger LAN party
Yeah, that would be the ideal solution. . .
Small town, shortage of tolerable people.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
_Fizzco_

When we did OD-S con (we all met up in london about 15-20 of us)

We prebooked space in a LAN (sorta like a cafe but it was really big)

We even came in the day before and asked them to install pr, ended up playing some skirmish maps and it was awesome

_Fizzco_ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Rymosrac

I'm a little worried that with playercount that low, it might take blufor an excessively long time to get a second cache revealed. Or does that not seem like a real problem?
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymosrac View Post
I'm a little worried that with playercount that low, it might take blufor an excessively long time to get a second cache revealed. Or does that not seem like a real problem?
The amount of intel points required scales with the amount of players. Im not sure how many you would need with 14players, but it will be less than on full server. If it still takes too long you can just ask an insurgent to get arrested to keep the game going
Mats391 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Rymosrac

Would there be any benefit to me requesting the dedicated server files for a LAN? (presuming that the team was interested in giving out server files to the organizers of small LAN events, which I very much doubt)
I'm not certain how much could be easily tweaked from there for lower playercount games Vs just running the listen server.
Last edited by Rymosrac; 03-29-2014 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-31-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
[R-CON]​Spyker2041
PR:BF2 Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Spyker2041

If you want to run a dedi server all you need is to download the bf2 unranked server files and then copy the pr mod folder across to the mods folder of the dedi server. This takes more space than the server files but works just the same. You can delete all the files that have _client.zip at the end to save space on the dedi server.

Take a look at my gameplay vids --> Click Here
Spyker2041 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 AM   #10
RarWinZip

Guys, you can run ded server without downloading stuff. There's an executable(if you're owner of original BF2 Complete Collection) in BF2 folder "bf2_w32ded.ex"@ it runs BF2 ded server with default settings, if you want to run PR server you need to find "BF2ServerLauncher.exe" in the same folder. It's GUI for dedicated server launcher. Start it. On the bottom of the window there will be list of options with "default" in it, press "+" right next to it. Call it "FeggetParty", press "Maplist" and then change "bf2" to "PR", voila!!! BUT! It will start with default settings, if you want to change something, you should go and dig internets, or ask devs how to do this.
RarWinZip is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lan, party, run