project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR2 Game Forums > PR2 General Discussion
18 Mar 2019, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality 2 game.

Old 2013-09-30, 09:45   #1
Psyko

Default Oculous Rift development kit

https://www.oculusvr.com/order/

Why not get on the band wagon? integrate it with Project reality 2, should be simple considering Cryengine has stereoscopic support and this might solve head tracking and 3d, killing two birds with one stone.

Its only $300.00, so its a bargain. Also, i would consider the people who play with small monitors, or laptops and might enjoy playing PR2 with a more portable system? As computers get smaller, the Oculus device and any of its successors may become more prevalent for gaming, and getting in there early might boost the popularity of PR.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 15:02   #2
OUT FOX EM
Supporting Member
Default Re: Oculous Rift development kit

I strongly concur! I think everyone is aware that the Rift (and others that come along after it) will be a big part of gaming moving forward. I would love to see this added.

The name of the game is "Project Reality" after all!
OUT FOX EM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 17:34   #3
[R-CON]​lucky.BOY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to lucky.BOY

What I would love to see is working ACOG sight system on 3D setups (be it 3D monitors or Rift type devices). Imagine getting a magnified image with glowing crosshair to one eye and a non-magnified along-the-scope view for the other eye. Same for G36 reflex sights, which are designed to be used with both eyes open as well. Would be amazing!

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 20:48   #4
OUT FOX EM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
What I would love to see is working ACOG sight system on 3D setups (be it 3D monitors or Rift type devices). Imagine getting a magnified image with glowing crosshair to one eye and a non-magnified along-the-scope view for the other eye. Same for G36 reflex sights, which are designed to be used with both eyes open as well. Would be amazing!
You have to be careful about sending completely different images to each eye. If you read what people say, it is very disorienting and makes people nauseous. I like where your head's at though.
OUT FOX EM is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-30, 23:52   #5
doop-de-doo
Supporting Member

Stereoscopics is an art in itself; one can really make bad things happen if they don't know what they are doing.

B4TM4N
doop-de-doo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 02:03   #6
Foxhound08
Registered

Yeah, i actually have an oculus rift, and have tried one of the demos that CE3 has on it. Its very cool, but it needs alot of work to ensure it can be used effectively for PR

http://i.imgur.com/vox3Fvp.png
Skype - Foxhound_aussf
Foxhound08 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 07:11   #7
Acemantura

Well, how many devs would need a kit?

Off-topic: Foxhound, shouldn't your tag be "[R2-DEV]" ?

Acemantura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-15, 18:54   #8
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The OculusVR does make you quite nauseous after a while, I can attest since I have had one to play with since the very first version. Its also impossible to see your keyboard when you are wearing it.

Its basically got utility in an environment where you are not moving about much, and not needing to interact with the virtual world through a complicated control system.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-17, 20:43   #9
sirfstar

I can't imagine PR with OR with it's low res. I mean, you can't see anything but blurry pixel mess while looking even 5 meters away and it won't be any better until we have at least fullHD resolution for each eye, now figure what rig do you need to render cryengine with that resolution.
sirfstar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-18, 00:18   #10
Solid Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
Can't be done. The devices require both eyes to see one image. The only way you could do that is if the 3D technology worked with only one eye and you had two screens. Even then, it wouldn't be like real life. Best approximation is for a game engine that supports rendering one image inside the scope and another around it.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
development, kit, oculous, rift