project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
24 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
Heskey

Default Advice on recording & uploading PR videos as a side-hobby?

Hi all,

I'm considering recording and uploading PR clips to YouTube as a side-hobby and I'm looking for advice on how to capture, edit and upload on a time-budget.

I work full-time in a mentally demanding shift-work job, have an active social life and relationship to maintain. I'm not looking to become to next YouTube sensation. I have next-to-no editing experience (made 3 videos in WMM in 200. I can't post weekly videos and I don't expect it to be anything spectacular. Just game play videos I think.

What's the best way to go about this?

I have an Intel i5-3570k, 8 GB DDR3 RAM, and a Radeon HD 7870 2GB. PR is installed on a 1TB HDD. There is 350GB free on this HDD.

On that same HDD, I have FRAPS which I use as an FPS counter and screen shot capture program in games. I play PR on full graphics with average 60-100 FPS, dropping to 30-40 sometimes; when playing maps like Fallujah and looking South-West

Back when I tried doing this for DayZ (and got no where), there were a lot of arguments over whether to use FRAPS, BandiCam or some other programs. I'm most familiar with FRAPS and would prefer to keep it.

I don't know what settings I'd need to use to record 720/1080p videos for YouTube (anything less isn't worth watching).

I'd like to record in-game audio, as well as my own voice (is it possible to only record your voice from within the game, so it doesn't catch ALL my audio? (I breathe quite heavily!)).

My headset which I use for playback and recording is a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 (USB).

I don't have any video editing software.

Anyone able to offer some clear and comprehensive advice?

Thanks!

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Gracler

Default Re: Advice on recording & uploading PR videos as a side-hobby?

When recording to YouTube you should run your game at a 16:9 ratio like 1920x1080 (1080p) or 1280x720 (720p) to avoid the black borders in your upload. It should be possible to upload other aspect ratio's and get rid of the black bars but the quality will be decreased a bit.
Anything less than 720p should be avoided as you start to lose details.

Your recording fps can be 24 fps which would save you a lot of hard disk space. You only really need higher fps if you plan on editing in some slow motion effects, so if you want to slow it by 50% you need double the fps to make it smooth (48 fps).
If you are recording a night map you might want to go up to 30 fps as the contrast will be higher.

Each upload can only have 1 fps speed so you can't easily put 2 clips of different fps together in 1 video.

I personally like Fraps but I guess other programs do a decent job too.

I suppose you could use Windows live movie maker to do some light editing like cutting etc. Just please don't add too much annotation as it distracts a lot. Especially avoid intro's as you-tubers generally hate those. Just cut out the uninteresting stuff like perhaps loading screens and dead-space and your good to go
Last edited by Gracler; 09-14-2013 at 09:43 PM..
Old 09-15-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
KEIOS
Supporting Member

I'm using Dxtory to record and used Weed-Killers tutorial to set it up: [3dAC] Season 3 | View topic - [How-To] Record a gameplay in HD

KEIOS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
gazzthompson

I used this :

How I Record, Edit and Export PR Gameplay Videos - Project Reality Forums

Did the job!

gazzthompson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
Jigsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzthompson View Post
Indeed, when I used to do this regularly I used exactly this tut and it worked like a charm

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end... "
Jigsaw is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
MaSSive

I guess three quotes of same thing would be too much but yeah what gazz and jigsaw said.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Heskey

Noted guys, I'll look into it in a few days when I have some time away from work - thanks!

(Signature by Priby)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
dbzao
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Just follow my guide and be happy.

"There's always one more bug." - Lubarsky's Law of Cybernetic Entomology
dbzao is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Arab
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

MSI Afterburner is an overclocking tool and also a video recorder, screenshot capturer that's customizable and free!

You can see your FPS in real-time and record any application with it.

MSI Afterburner

Tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSbJl...ature=youtu.be

[R-DEV]Arab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
=RC=NZ Randomhole
Supporting Member

If you can, write to a separate drive to the drive your OS and game is running on.
This will avoid any possible recording FPS drops
But +1 for DXTory with Lagarith
=RC=NZ Randomhole is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, recording, sidehobby, uploading, videos