project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
05 Feb 2023, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

Closed Thread

Old 2013-06-29, 05:03   #1
BloodyDeed
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default [Official] Rally Point Feedback

This thread is meant to gather feedback regarding rallypoints in the 1.0 Open Beta.
Do not base your feedback on how you think this turns out, please make sure you actually played it.

Old 2013-06-29, 14:56   #2
fabioxxxx

Default Re: Rally Point Feedback

Is the new rally point system just to help test the beta ... or is it coming to stay ?
Old 2013-06-29, 15:14   #3
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

Depends on a lot of factors, one of them being user feedback, so give us input.

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 2013-06-29, 15:40   #4
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Already from the changelog it looks like PR is getting close to FH2 on that issue, the rally point providing a continuous spawn-solution (as in FH2 squadleader, or radio-beacon spawn) all round long if just hidden well enough... Making the ability to spawn on FOBs less important, since squadmates will (in most cases) be able to spawn on the rally...
Old 2013-06-29, 15:58   #5
Cossack
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Already from the changelog it looks like PR is getting close to FH2 on that issue, the rally point providing a continuous spawn-solution (as in FH2 squadleader, or radio-beacon spawn) all round long if just hidden well enough... Making the ability to spawn on FOBs less important, since squadmates will (in most cases) be able to spawn on the rally...
Even you hide it, it can easily get overrun.

Old 2013-06-29, 19:08   #6
viirusiiseli
Banned

The current system (1.0 beta) is very good. It's a great tool for squadleaders who know where to place them. Comes in handy as a flanking option for when your whole team is spawning from 1 FOB.
Old 2013-06-30, 07:29   #7
007.SirBond

I like the current rally point system, however this can become a problem. If a squad simply drives a vehicle past the front-lines of a conflict, that squad can always attack behind enemy lines as long as the squad leader remains alive with 2 squad mates. Realistically, when a man dies behind enemy lines, he does not get a replacement to take his role for the squad. It's not possible to insert someone to take his role.

I propose that rally points only be allowed to drop in relation to a radius of a nearby FOB. I don't know if this is possible with the BF2 engine, but if a FOB was build and active, perhaps a large radius circle with the 600 meters between the center of the circle to the exterior, allowing rally points only to be dropped within those square meters would be nice.

Realistically, this would simulate new assigned soldiers deploying from FOB's becoming replacement squad members to the rally point and waiting for their squad leader's instructions. It just doesn't make sense for a rally point to be reinforced when it is deep behind enemy lines, how would the soldier end up there realistically without being parachuted in from a plane?

EDIT: After playing some more, I realize the current rally point system is not good for gameplay. It ends up being a meat grinder for both teams over one flag in AAS.

Last edited by 007.SirBond; 2013-07-01 at 03:11..
Old 2013-06-30, 09:45   #8
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

I managed to play a bit on the unofficial server. It was Saaremaa and as we prepared to attack i just pooped out my 3 back bags behind a tree around 300m away from the flag we wanted to attack.
The next 30minutes my squad was able to constantly swarm on the enemy flag, only a server crash brought an end to it.
It was only a 64slot server, so it might turn out different with 100players but it certainly brought back bad memories

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Old 2013-06-30, 11:02   #9
Oskar

Send a message via MSN to Oskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.SirBond View Post
I like the current rally point system, however this can become a problem. If a squad simply drives a vehicle past the front-lines of a conflict, that squad can always attack behind enemy lines as long as the squad leader remains alive with 2 squad mates. Realistically, when a man dies behind enemy lines, he does not get a replacement to take his role for the squad. It's not possible to insert someone to take his role.

I propose that rally points only be allowed to drop in relation to a radius of a nearby FOB. I don't know if this is possible with the BF2 engine, but if a FOB was build and active, perhaps a large radius circle with the 600 meters between the center of the circle to the exterior, allowing rally points only to be dropped within those square meters would be nice.

Realistically, this would simulate new assigned soldiers deploying from FOB's becoming replacement squad members to the rally point and waiting for their squad leader's instructions. It just doesn't make sense for a rally point to be reinforced when it is deep behind enemy lines, how would the soldier end up there realistically without being parachuted in from a plane?
I agree with SirBond. Almost all rally points I've put up during the beta have stayed for more than 10 minutes, meaning; dying's ok. You can just spawn right back, only some hundred meters away from combat, or less. Giving up is an easier option than having the medic get you because of the increased accuracy, lethality of weapons and overall scariness of the battlefield. The weapons are freaking perfect as they are, so the thing that needs to be changed are the rallys.

There needs to be some sort of limit to their placement, other than 10, 20 and 40-meter distances for enemies to overrun them. Either as Bond suggests, a maximum distance from an FOB depending on the size of the map. 300, 500, 700m?
Or perhaps a somewhat longer time limit, like 5-10 minutes. I haven't noticed that the rallys need recharging on FOBs anymore, I've been able to just place them whenever I wanted. Thus, a time limit may not be that limiting.
Old 2013-06-30, 13:29   #10
Spook
Supporting Member

The worse thing in PR 1.0 are the RPs like I already expected. Its unplayable in my opinion. I just finished 3 rounds on Ramiel, Black Gold Inf and Saarema on 100p. The teams were constantly swarming the flags. E.g. Saarema. The whole round 3 full US INF squads were attacking Radio Relay, the same things happened on the enemy side. It was a cluster fuck and no one gave a damn about surviving or not. The whole objective was spammed with RPs and everyone kept respawning. No logistsics needed, no helis no apcs ... transport was completely needless. It was just spawning, running in killing as much as possible until dying and then simply respawn again. Therefore the flag stayed neutral for almost the whole round. At the beginning I tried to organize my squad with Fireteams and what not, trying to use tactics and flanking around. But after the first contatcs the enemies just kept running into our position. We might have killed a squad, but 2 secs later there was another squad running towards us like crazy. In the meantime the first squad respawned and started running in our direction as well.

Gameplay is shittier than I could have ever imagined. Adding the ridiculous centring of weapons, where people are allowed to sprint around like crazy monkeys, crouch and simply spray everyone they see with success. But thats antoher topic, I will post feedback about it in the right thread.

No one was using any FOBS, no Trans. The game turned into BF3 as soon as both teams reached the central objective. A massacre where tactics have no use at all. The only way to obtain control over the objective was, running towards it faster and with more ppl than the enemy. Its just as everyone expected, but DEVs always said, wait for the game and test it out, you do not know the other features that will balance this out just like here https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f25...alue-life.html

Value of Life! Thats what is missing compeletly right now, considering both... the RPs and the short vehicle spawntimes (which I am giving feedback about here aswell: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f25...ml#post1908548)

This feature NEEDS to get removed. There is no way I will play this game actively and as serious as I did until now, if this will stay ingame. I see NO use at all. Not a single reason for keeping this. It completely destroys gameplay and makes all the new awesome things like sounds, FX, assets, maps, factions worthless.

Its also funny that you can respawn the RP after 1 minute. You can just keep spamming it while moving towards something. Its just like the "Safe Button" in Half Life where you safe your progress in case you gonna die if you continue moving. So if you die you simply respawn and try again. You do not even have to fear to fail. Why use tactics or anything if you can simply rush the enemy like a headlesschicken, screaming Banzai so long until their defense breaks apart. << Thats exactly what I experienced on every single round.

Now people could say: Well no one forces you to use RPs that way. You can play with tactics aswell. The problem here is that this only works out if the enemy does the same and stops ABUSING RPs just like us. Otherwise you will not get anywhere close to successfully take over any enemy positon where a backup RP is set 100m behind.

Only if both teams stop using RPs we can establish a nice round with thoughful moves and great gameplay. But then again if both stop using RPs we can also just simply remove them right?

Another thing is that you can place RPs almost everywhere. I set up a RP on Black Gold before started to engage an Obj. When we reached it, only 2-3 guys of 8 survived, well fuck reviving. While we were in a Firefight with enemies all around us really close I just dropped another Rally. My squad spawned in and suddenly the enemy had to face a full squad again after they already almost defeated us...thats just ridiculous.

Last edited by [R-CON]Spook; 2013-06-30 at 14:32..
Closed Thread

Tags
feedback, official, point, rally