project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
21 Jun 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
SteelResolve
Send a message via Skype™ to SteelResolve
Smile New guy Saying hello and a few general questions

Hi everyone,

I've just recently decided to join and be part of the BF2:PR community after being introduced to it from a good friend of mine who played PR frequently. I've decided to get back into playing BF2 after a bit of hiatus from playing the "Vanilla" version of it, and from a lot of academic studies that piled up on me.

Also probably because I have a laptop that probably should not be used for gaming whatsoever (Lenovo V570).

I've had a bit of fun playing bot matches for PR, and I guess, I might as well get my headfirst right into playing, though, I was a bit hesitant in just "jumping in". I have a few questions, if you guys of the community don't mind.

1) Mumble:
Just wondering about mumble, how popular is the use of mumble? Because, it seems Mumble is a lot more intuitive in the chain of command of games, since it seems built for a lot of SL and SL ->Cmdr. communication.
I just want to save a bit of face, if I don't know if I should use mumble, or stick with the "B" communication key when playing the game.
And text chatting, looked down upon?

2)Joining servers:
Is it bad to jump into servers mid game?

3)Squads:
How much emphasis do people put on working with squads? I'm a big team player, and definitely like to stick with a squad closely and support my team. Are squads normally dictated by what they do? Trans, sniper, tanks, etc.

4) Attitude:
Just want to get a heads up on how I should play. I'm guessing most servers, since they'll acknowledge me as the new guy, just keep my toe on the line, take it seriously? Or are most guys into being casual while playing?

Thanks everyone for taking the time. Kinda feeling a bit bad for probably asking a few ridiculous questions.

Well, at least you'll get a heads up if you see me around servers, since I use the same name is as in the Forum that I'm new.
SteelResolve is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: New guy Saying hello and a few general questions

1) Mumble is the primary method of communication in PR now
edit, text chatting can be very annoying for some SLs, but others don't mind.

2) Not really, sometimes it's nice to play a whole map through and you sometimes get very chummy with your squads. The only downside is that usually the special squad roles will already be taken, but always ask the SL what role he needs when you join anyway

3) The game is at its best when squads work well. It's all dependent on the quality of the squad leader, usually teh squad name denotes it's role (sometimes that's a server rule).

4) It all depends on the server and squad leader as you say, my tip is to make it clear you are new and pick up only basic kits for the first few hours of play - i.e. stay rifleman . Best thing is when you become a regular on a server so everyone gets to know you and you them.

Welcome to the community

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Darman1138
Supporting Member

Definitely get Mumble. Welcome!
Darman1138 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
victor_phx

Oh, hey! Welcome aboard!

Firstly, I'd like to point out how important Mumble is. It is mandatory in most servers I've played recently, and to me represented a huge improvement within the PR community once properly integrated. It's simple, easy to use and comes with PR when you download it. Great for all, SL or not.

Squads usually claim assets (transport, choppers, armor), and only these squads should use them. You shouldn't have trouble finding a slot in a squad midgame, either. I don't remember having that be a big problem in my experience.

It's best to start with infantry squads. You'll notice helicopter pilots, especially, get a lot of heat if they do anything wrong. It's even unfair, sometimes, the amount of pressure on them! I wouldn't say, then, that most players are playing casually.

This is a sort of "niche" game, after all. A game with a bit more seriousness.

What I'd recommend for you to get a feel of PR is to watch gameplay videos. Look for Youtube, PRMA winners and nominees, the Tales From the Front section. It's what brought me here, having never played BF2, and showed me what would keep me here to this day: awesome gameplay and great teamwork.

Good luck, hope you'll enjoy it!

rakowozz
victor_phx is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
SteelResolve

Thanks for the replies so far everyone

Bot match wise and such, and probably from playing a bit on Vanilla BF2, I know I'm probably a terrible crewman or pilot .never really got into flying that much, though, enjoyed playing medic a lot.

definitely all these replies and referring to the PR Manual has definitely changed my mind though before asking if I should take on the medic hahaha. I should probably stick with the rifleman first for the time being

And on the side, thank god the medic kit is a bit less complicated than AA3, trying to emulate real life.

It's a bit of a happy note, since I don't have to pull the information I know as a volunteer EMT, tad relaxing to know there won't be a GUI that magically appears and demands me to pick the right equipment, or get a squad mate killed.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Medics are always wanted. After getting used to the rifleman, I suggest you just go ahead and play medic, it's not that hard as long as you're okay with having a lot of people on mumble give inaccurate directions but still demand you get them up ASAP

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #7
brezmans
Supporting Member

A very basic but essential tip would be to make sure your mumble is working like it should, ie run it as administrator if you're on vista or win7. Set up your squad-key (default: numpad 0) to something you can easily remember so you can at least communicate effortlessly with your squad and squadleader. If you can get it across that you are new and eager to learn and follow orders, it will mostly go well. Not all squads have good squadleaders, so don't be too disappointed if your first experience doesn't go as well as you'd hoped. Look for squads named something with 'infantry', 'inf', or 'mumble', they are usually made by squadleaders who are actually willing to lead and communitate effectively, you will have no problem there.

As for the rest, stick with the rifleman at first, give ammo if someone asks for it, cover anyone who needs cover, keep an eye on where everybody else is covering and cover the gap, keep an eye on where your SL is and keep your ears open for any spottings or new orders.

Don't give up on PR if the first experience isn't magical, it can have a bit of a learning curve but it's a unique game and it will take up your entire free time if you let it.

Welcome!

=HOG= Teamspeak
On indefinite LOA from April 2014.
brezmans is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
[R-DEV]​UTurista
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Welcome to Project Reality, I'll warn you thou, if play the 1st hour and enjoy it you'll be hooked for ever.

Many said they you stop playing many failed.

Mumble can be mandatory in a few servers, don't forget to install 1.0v and turn on overlay, always nice to see who's talking.

Quote:
Is it bad to jump into servers mid game?
It's fun 'cause I remember thinking the same question when I started. Joining servers mid-game can be semi-bad 'cause all the infantry squads are already full and you'll go to a "Free" Squad and that can be very annoying but nevertheless join the game and have fun. PR games can be very unpredictable, you can see a team dominate the other (in terms of flags) and lose.

Few tips
Quote:
>If you're being healed by the medic DON'T watch his pretty eyes, watch the corner were the enemy might show up;

>If you can see them, its not mandatory to kill them, adopt Ninja Style

>There are moments were it's needed to Hold Coms, when the last standing guy is moving around killing the enemy and trying to revive, don't talk on mumble unless you have to

>You have local and Sq. mumble chat use it properly, "Contact"-> Team.... "Enemy on me"->Local
have fun,

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
Last edited by [R-DEV]UTurista; 03-02-2013 at 09:24 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
SteelResolve
Smile Re: New guy Saying hello and a few general questions

Quote:
A very basic but essential tip would be to make sure your mumble is working
Yup. I fiddled around with Mumble already. I was first pretty confused on how it worked actually, since I do not have THE best mic in the world, (currently using a pair of Skullcandys with in-line mic.)

Quote:
I suggest you just go ahead and play medic, it's not that hard as long as you're okay with having a lot of people on mumble give inaccurate directions but still demand you get them up ASAP
^ hahaha. Thank God ROTC and US Army Cadet Corps gave me the discipline. And possibly my USMC Veteran Dad kept me in check with that.

Quote:
Don't give up on PR if the first experience isn't magical, it can have a bit of a learning curve but it's a unique game and it will take up your entire free time if you let it.
Bot matches and Co-op with the friend who introduced me to it are already taking up my free time. I think I'm probably already hooked with the realism. Especially the urban ones.

Thanks everyone!

And probably just a followup question, on chatting,
since I have the bit of background with military ROTC, and US Army Cadet Corps, I'm assuming that military Lingo is the norm. and possibly encouraged?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
[R-MOD]Spec
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Not as Hardcore as in ArmA. While yes, it's useful knowledge, there'll be some players who take a more casual approach and may not understand overly technical things. As long as what you say can be understood by non-soldiers, it's fine. Don't expect everyone to follow radio discipline, some people aren't into that stuff very much.

(It's still more efficient to know how to effectively communicate, obviously)

--- currently reduced activity ---
Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature!

Tags
general, guy, questions