project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Hotshot Jimmy

Default New guy to Project Reality

Afternoon all, before I begin I had a quick search to see if there was a newbie section and the T&Cs didn't mention it so apologies in advance if this is the wrong section.
Anyway hi all, I'm James from Scotland. Been playing BF2 ever since it came out and never really got round to BF3. Was interested in Arma2 through CHKilroys Youtube videos. Basically I had gotten tired of the "quirks" that BF2 came with and wanted something a little more realistic. Just by chance last week I came across Project Reality . Finally something that can really get BF2 alive again! I have watched a few of the youtube videos/tutorials and also downloaded the turtorial pdf and read a few reviews online. I can't wait to get stuck in although grasping some of the realism is a little daunting. Any tips you can pass would be greatly appreciated. I'll be downloading it today and hopefully have a look at it tonight and get used to all the cool new things.

Just a little bit about myself and BF2;
I'm currently flying and being taught to get my Private pilots license with the goal of commerical later on in life. This means on BF2 i'm usually happiest piloting a Black Hawk and letting everyone in the back get some good shots in or when i'm on the ground its a mix of assault or medic kits in squads especially. Got a little tired of people being silly online with the standard 1.5v so looking forward to some great teamwork and a more emmersive experience with this mod.

Cheers all,

James
Hotshot Jimmy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Moszeusz6Pl
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via Skype™ to Moszeusz6Pl
Default Re: New guy to Project Reality

Start playing as infantry, play at least few runs before taking heavier asset. If you want to take something heavier try it first on local server, so you don't get banned for crashing chopper. Install mumble 1.0, because it's mandatory on all good servers.

Moszeusz6Pl is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Strepto
Supporting Member

What I did was to set my clantag to Noob or beginr and introduce me to my squadleader as noob. You get much more slack and people help you a lot more. This is a old mod and people often forget that there is new players on the battlefield.
Strepto is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
brezmans
Supporting Member

Moszeusz6Pl already said it and it's really important that you start as infantry. There's a lot of rules on every server about assets and there's the mechanics of PR, both will make it a hard game to learn. Once you get a feel of how PR is played and what the general server rules are, I'd say in a week or two, you can start practicing on the heavy assets such as CAS or armor. Practice local or on a training server first, it's not the same as in BF2 but it's not that difficult either.

Welcome, good luck, and stick with it! It's very rewarding once you have climbed the learning curve!

=HOG= Teamspeak
On indefinite LOA from April 2014.
brezmans is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Infantry4Ever

Hit up the single player co-op to get a feel for the weapons.

It will definitely make it easier for when you go into the multi-player scene.

null ~ root
Infantry4Ever is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

If you want to do transport, you should practice alot.

Project Reality Tutorial #7 - Flying Transport Choppers (Huey) - YouTube here's a little tutorial.

[R-MOD]Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
Hotshot Jimmy

Excellent, cheers guys. I realised I wouldn't be in anything heavy at first as assets are alot realistic. I think i'll try Single player like you suggested first and see how I get on. Also viewing the help files for Mumble as I type this.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Microwaife

I started without singleplayer and in my opinion just hop on to multiplayer after reading the manual.
Join a server than a squad and tell the squadleader that you are new.
You'll learn along the way.

Slorgs youtube tutorials are really helpfull too.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Microwaife is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Hotshot Jimmy

Ye could definately do that but its better to safe than sorry lol.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Murphy

The game revolves around infantry, transport/cas/armour are all used in support of infantry so as others had said it's important to understand how infantry win fights and conquer maps. Once you understand the concept of AAS and when/where the fights will be (might take a bit but PR has a really natural flow to it, and in time all good players learn how to use the flow of battle to their advantage).

Don't be shy about asking questions or taking cool kits, but always be on the same page as your squad leader! Hope to catch you ingame sometime soon.

Murphy is online now Reply With Quote

Tags
guy, newbie, project, reality