project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion
19 Sep 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Off-Topic Discussion For all discussions not related to PR. No Spam.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
WelshManDan
Supporting Member

Default London Olympics 2012

Surprised there isn't a thread on this yet.

Thought the opening ceremony was brilliant, the industrial revolution was extremely well done. Haven't finished watching it yet though.

Anyone going to any of the games? I've got tickets for the bronze medal match of football, and a semi final match too, cant wait!

Rule Britannia /flagwave
WelshManDan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Narco
Default Re: London Olympics 2012

Wanted to get tickets to a USA basketball game, but tickets we're something like 230 quid each.

Looking forward to GB getting spanked in all the decent sports and doing well in all the posh sports as usual.

Narco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
[R-DEV]​Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

I'm going to watch the Mens 5km opening.

I was expecting the opening ceremony to be a lot worse than it was from what we where hearing about the build up of it of "The British Countryside coming into the stadium" etc which sounded pretty rubbish but the industrial revolution bit was a nice surprise. However I feel they could have done a lot more with it. I would have like to seen it expanded much more to include more British History in that same sort of style but no, they then took a left turn and did some totally random stuff which IMO, didn't work very well... Bond was a slightly nice touch, wouldn't have missed it thou if it wasn't in. Rowan Atkinson was certainly one of the highlights, very unexpected and is always a laugh, even in his small role. Best bit overall was seeing the athletes, but that's always the best bit in any opening ceremony. Overall while I do think there was some good bits, there was quite a lot of things which I cringed at and even the good bits I think they could have improved on. I certainly don't agree with the news claiming its a "massive success" but, better than I was expecting which for me was a nice surprise in itself

Anyways a lot of sport to watch now, cycling going on at the moment which is good, shame we went out in the first archery round thou

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I was supremely surprised how good the ceremony was was tbh, I was expecting a shambles; I think its the most innovative ceremony I saw, cool, clever and funny!

and btw NHS ftw!

The deaf choir was awesome too, along with all the music!

Though I agree with Rhino, it was a narrow view of history, Britain has a rich history going back thousands of years, Celts, Romans, Saxons, Vikings, Normans and all the subsequent migrations to the UK have made it so diverse; I would have liked a bit more on that. but the NHS focus made it up for me :P

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
Zerostar11

The only bit I didn't like was that whole texting thing, I was just like wut? Rest of it was great, I really liked the Industrial bit.
Zerostar11 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
hiberNative

going there the 7'th a couple of days to buy stuff and soak in the atmosphere. not interested in sports, but nice with a lot of people and events.

-
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
Navo

Friend of mine is going to the hockey finals.
Navo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
LK1
Banned

television its the key
LK1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiberNative View Post
going there the 7'th a couple of days to buy stuff and soak in the atmosphere. not interested in sports, but nice with a lot of people and events.
Lemme know when you're around, ill buy you some overpriced beer

Living only down the road from the stadium, the opening ceremony scared the shit out of me, i was trying to sleep - then the fire works started, i thought the country was being bombed.

Pantera is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
hardon

I looked the opening ceremony till the end, as we were laughing the stuff on IRC with my friends...

Sorry to say, but as a non Brit viewer the ceremony was full of shit. People running here and there, overall confusion, Mr Bean picking his nose, queen jumping off the plane with parachute and looking like bored as hell each time they filmed her face, Michael Jackson driving the boat with olympic flame, Ban Ki Moon saving the world by carrying olympic flag.. Which then was taken by soldiers of peace. Then some old man sang some more crappy music, so overall it was full of WTF, I didn't understand a single thing about it. Good move with the kids starting the flame though, I was waiting for Prince Harry or someone else who to facepalm a lot.
hardon is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, london, olympics