project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
21 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 07-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
oblivio69
Default Rig to run PR:A2

So as the title of the thread says I am going for a rig that will run Arma 2 Pr with no problems (30-40 fps +)
My current build :

Amd Phenom II 955 3.2ghz x4
AMD 6970 2gb
8gb ram
1tb hdd

Yes, it's a fine rig but it can't really run Arma 2 Pr like a charm , I get <20 fps in some places
(Zargabad) so I tought that a new Cpu + Mb + ssd + cpu cooler for OC should help a lot .

I am thinking of buying:

CPU : the new i5 3570k or i7 3770k
Mb : haven't decided yet , point out some good ones plz
SSD : SSD OCZ Vertex 4 2.5 64GB SATA3 MLC
COOLER : Noctua NH-D14

So , what exactly should I go for , the i5 the i7 , should I consider buying the AMD fx - 8150 or should I wait for the new architectures ? Help me out guys please , tell me what's ok with the upgrades and what is not and what would you change
Thank you , and sorry for the gramatical mistakes
oblivio69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
mangeface
Supporting Member

Default Re: Rig to run PR:A2

For starters, instead of getting a new CPU why don't you just try overclocking the one you have? If you look through some threads here, the Phenom II 955 is pretty suggested (besides the i5 2500K) for builds and it's not a bad CPU. Also try overclocking the GPU if it isn't already.

The SSD you chose isn't bad, but I would suggest the 128GB Crucial M3. Only thing with SSDs are that you'll get a big difference in performance with your OS, but when it comes down to games it's minimal. I run PR:A2 on an SSD and I don't get much of a performance upgrade.

And for the price you would pay for the CPU cooler you put, you could get a Corsair H70 or maybe H80 liquid cooler, which is far superior to air cooling. I recommend the H80. Food for thought on that idea.

Yours:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608018
Suggested:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181019
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835181016
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Pedz
Supporting Member

If any processor, go with the i5, but try as Mangeface says, OCing your current will help .

You have a nice choice in coolers there, it performs as well if not better than corsairs water cooling, and Noctua's fans are one of the best around for silent computing. I bought the C14 version (as the D 14 wouldn't fit) and it easily handles the temperatures and is near silent in operation.

So yes definitely the Noctua over any of Corsairs offerings. Overclock3D :: Review :: NZXT Havik vs Noctua NH-D14 Review :: NZXT Havik vs Noctua NH-D14 Review.

With the motherboard, it all depends on what connections you need. Most will have at least 2 SATA 6GB/s ports, which is all you will probably need, but some will have better OC'ing capabilities. The best in these ranges are the Asus and MSI boards I believe... Personally went got a GD65 MSI P67 board (before Z series was released), and it works well, it has enough USB 3.0 ports too, which is handy .

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
Beee8190
Supporting Member

Well here's the thing.

I say if you can sell your current HW for reasonable price, sell it and get new HW. Save couple more quid and you've got youreslf the all new and latest rig.

Native USB 3
PCI-E 3
native 1600Mhz ( instead of 1333Mhz RAM )
OCeing will draw more power and produce more heat
Integrated HD graphic on chip, should you ever need to take out your dedi GFX (like RMA^^)

and so on I guess...

So what to get?

i5 3570K ( its a fooking workhorse )
Asus P8-Z77-LE ( go from LE higher, as it has better audio codec\s, 8+2 power phase, more 4 pin FAN connectors...)

ASrock Z77 extreme 4 ( probably the best deal really )

or the MSI Z77 GD55 or GD65.

I'm not mentioning gigabyte and the UD3H, as it has VIA audio codecs, lausier power phase for CPU and ethernet controller is...its not intel, not a realtek....I just can remember now..

and 7850 or 7950...
Beee8190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
oblivio69

I have the msi 790fx gd70 mb, is it good for oc-ing . If yes , should i get the cooler and oc my cpu to 4.5 ghz and see the improvement because oc-ing to 3.6 - 3.7 dosen't do a lot as i tried .Also i oc-ed my video card too but from what I read that arma is more cpu demanding and also read that my cpu ,the 955, bottlenecks my gpu.
oblivio69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
mangeface
Supporting Member

Honestly, I doubt you'll be able to squeeze 4.5GHz out of it. I searched and a lot of people were getting 4.0-4.2GHz. Here's an AMD article on overclocking the 955.

Overclocking 101 with the AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition processor | Game Blog
Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #7
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member

Assuming your motherboard is not locked down with a proprietary BIOS, such as a pre-built HP or Dell,

I suggest you simply buy a liquid cooler, such as the Corsair H80 or H100 or the Antec - KUHLER H2O 920, and some thermal paste, and two good aftermarket fans and install the liquid cooling kit.

If worse comes to worse, you can take the liquid cooling out of your current PC and use it in your new PC. I honestly think you need nothing more than the ~USD$130 in parts to keep your current PC running for another year. And some time and effort to test the overclocking settings.

Overclock that CPU to 4 or 4.2Ghz,
Overclock the GPU somewhat too.

With the overclock you should be able to get FPS averaging 40 to 60 FPS in Arma2:PR.

Reference is here
955E@4Ghz and 6870 overclocked. Read post 17.
ARMA 2/ARMA 2 PR Video Settings & Performance - BigD Gaming Community

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beee8190 View Post
Asus P8-Z77-LE ( go from LE higher, as it has better audio codec\s, 8+2 power phase, more 4 pin FAN connectors...)
I just read this one, but I suggest you don't get an LE board. It's plastic crap and wouldn't be good if you plan on upgrading your rig to run high performance, especially for ArmA 2. If you can afford it, try and get a -V. Just look for sales and open box deals. I saved about $80 on my current board by buying it as 'open box'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
two good aftermarket fans
I suggest the Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm fans. Just compare air flow over RPMs. These one's push more air compared to the stock fans that come with the Corsair liquid coolers, even though the Corsair fans that come with them have a higher RPM (around 2300 if I can recall). I have 4 of them running a push/pull on my H100 and they dropped the temperature a couple of degrees (celcius that is) on my CPU from when I had just 2 fans pushing air through the radiator. I need to put new pictures of my rig up, it's came a long way since the original one's I posted after I just built it. I have 2 blue fans (matches the rest of the blue fans on my HAF 932 case) and 2 green fans that bask the mobo with a nice accent color. It looks badass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Nice, is that your settings?
Last edited by mangeface; 07-09-2012 at 03:56 AM..
Old 07-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Pedz
Supporting Member

Personally not a fan of the H100/80 on price/performance, or even just performance... Benchmarking shows that some air coolers, such as the Noctua he was looking at, perform better than them, probably due to their poor choice in fans...

Corsair H100 review

But the idea of buying the cooler first and then the new PC is good , most brands will supply multiple adaptors for the cooler fittings, but would be good to check if its AMD & Intel fittings.

My Processor with the Noctua C14 attached, with silent cable attached.
Idle temp is aroud 43-45.
(Processor is i7-2600k) HT enabled

Can only have one fan though on the C14 (the inner pull fan) as the second doesn't fit :P. (should have measured more...

Last edited by Pedz; 07-09-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
mangeface
Supporting Member

Here's the idle and load temps on my i5-2500K with a Corsair H100 and 4 Cooler Master SickleFlow running push/pull.

Tags
pra2, rig, run