project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
25 Apr 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Acemantura
PR Server License Administrator

Send a message via Skype™ to Acemantura
Default An Open Letter to all Serious-Pants Players

TG is leaving, at least until the next patch.

I do not want to see that server leave the mix of servers, or more appropriately I want to see that server active enough to set an example for the rest of the community.

So I have two choices:

- Make my own server with similar rules and hope I have enough admins who can administrate to that level of gameplay. A choice not out of the question, but rather difficult because of my admins personal preferences of gameplay and server freedoms.

- The other choice would be to hand one of my available CPU cores over to the community and see if they want their "TG" back.

The first, though easiest for the community, may not be the best for the PRMod's survival as TG"s server has set such a high bar of community, teamwork, and casual professionalism that I do not believe CIA can replicate entirely.

The second choice, and in my eyes the best choice, would produce so many more "goods." CIA would have donations, the community would have their TG back, and as it would be community driven, it would be able to be shut down for TG's eventual comeback. And these are things I think everyone will be very happy with.

If we were to do this, we would need to congregate and discuss every aspect of this server so that it simply works and no fights for control or a debate of server operation occur while it is up. I think we can make our starting point the current rules for TG's server (please don't delete them, wherever they exist) and from there we can decide to keep them (the most likely decision) or to tweak them per the community's discussions.

As far as I know, something like this is already being done in the PRTA organization with tons of admins coming from every which way, but regrettably not with consistent standards of quality. This can be remedied in any way you like. I have to make a YouTube video or two so I can train my own admins en masse but however you want to add administrators or simply keep the current administrators, it is all up to who shows up.

This server will be any which way you want it, "you" being the operative term in this whole idea. TG failed because no one spent the time to seed. Are you afraid to waste your time on a server that will crash constantly? Don't worry about it, I guarantee the same or greater level of stability in my own servers. Are you worried about wasting time in the server just waiting for pop? If there is enough support for this server, the problem will take care of itself.

So you ask yourself, "What do I do? I want the server back, but I don't have the money/time/patience to help." If you have one of those qualities, or even one I haven't mentioned, come forward, PM me, post here, make some noise. Let the community know about your existence, because if they see one person, another will come, and another.

So let the community speak and be heard, do you want your TG back, is my proposal even necessary?

Speak.

Another Explanation

Last edited by Acemantura; 06-15-2012 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Punctuation turns to "?" from MSWord, interesting
Old 06-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
sr.bambino

Default Re: An Open Letter to all Serious-Pants Players

Why don't u all just put your support behind PRTA: North America? The server is in central canada (I believe) so low ping is too be expected. Furthermore, PRTA has pretty solid admins, our servers regularly have higher amounts of team work. Furthermore, PRTA has run some successful events, the larger the team-work-oriented players the more and better events we (the PR community) will have.
sr.bambino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
saXoni
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr.bambino View Post
Why don't u all just put your support behind PRTA: North America?
Because not everyone likes PRTA. I'd pick TG a million times before even considering PRTA.

Quote:
PRTA has pretty solid admins
No they don't.
saXoni is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
Acemantura

PRTA can take it away, but this is about a central serious pants server, like TG.

If that can be achieved through PRTA, go for it.

Otherwise I am already developing the groundwork for this server with Chrisweb.

If you want to be a part of this venture, speak and be heard.

Acemantura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
Pronck
Supporting Member

What about losing both TG and PRTA tags for this and make something new? And about the server position make it so that ping is like 150 for EU people so they can help seeding. I play on CIA with an average ping of 100, and we can go up to 200 but I think that you do need EU players to help this server going.

We are staying up!
Pronck is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
=]H[= EasyAlpha

Theres always the chinese servers for those who are so serious-pants that they will challenege themselves by playing with players who dont even speak there language.
=]H[= EasyAlpha is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXoni View Post
Quote:
Why don't u all just put your support behind PRTA: North America?
Because not everyone likes PRTA. I'd pick TG a million times before even considering PRTA.

Quote:
Furthermore, PRTA has pretty solid admins, our servers regularly have higher amounts of team work.
No they don't.
Owned.

I agree with saXoni. I'm not a fan of PRTA. I'm a hardcore TG supporter, but I don't have anytime whatsoever to play games right now. I'm in the middle of a big life transition (just got out of the Marines), so my time is devoted to working during the day, trying to find a job in my main occupational field during the evening hours, trying to find my own place to live, etc. etc.
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Acemantura

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Pronk(NL) View Post
What about losing both TG and PRTA tags for this and make something new? And about the server position make it so that ping is like 150 for EU people so they can help seeding. I play on CIA with an average ping of 100, and we can go up to 200 but I think that you do need EU players to help this server going.
This is going to be any way you guys want it. And the server will be wherever CIA's physical server is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =]H[= EasyAlpha View Post
Theres always the chinese servers for those who are so serious-pants that they will challenege themselves by playing with players who dont even speak there language.
I think we all need to start speaking Mandarin. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangeface View Post
Owned.

I agree with saXoni. I'm not a fan of PRTA. I'm a hardcore TG supporter, but I don't have anytime whatsoever to play games right now. I'm in the middle of a big life transition (just got out of the Marines), so my time is devoted to working during the day, trying to find a job in my main occupational field during the evening hours, trying to find my own place to live, etc. etc.
Dude, that's fine, its whatever anyone can give, time/money/admin/suggestions, anything of quality.

Good luck with your RL stuff BTdubs

Acemantura is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #9
sr.bambino

I never see you guys on PRTA, how would any of you know how PRTA plays? And there aren't really PRTA tags...

I've played on TG and the team work isn't any better. When an SL on PRTA doesn't respond or speak english we resign him. TG on the otherhand, never adopted mumble which leads to a whole new league of comms and teamwork.

You guys can keep hating PRTA or you can contribute to PRTA: NA and make it the sort of place you want.

Hey, by all means start up another server, if successful I think it would be great for the community as a whole, but seriously, getting kicked for swearing? I'd rather stay away from elementary school rules.
sr.bambino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Keep it civil, comments like "owned" don't add anything to a discussion.

The OP wants to set up a sort of replacement server for TG, he's simply asking for input and such. If he doesn't want to bear the PRTA name, let him.

Back on topic now.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
letter, open, oxymoron, players, seriouspants